The Bret Hart scoring system

IronSheik

7 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Owen always makes me smile, but holding him above Bret seems like one of those contrary for the sake of it opinions you have when you're a teenager. 

I've never done a deep dive into both lads career, but I always enjoyed Owen more, he just looked better to me, my favourite Owen moments were better than my favourite bret ones... 

If Owen had lived till the smackdown 6 arrived, I think it'd be a much wider held opinion. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Owen always makes me smile, but holding him above Bret seems like one of those contrary for the sake of it opinions you have when you're a teenager. 

It’s a very Internet opinion. He was quicker and he did moonsaults after all. Owen had some absolute belters with Shawn, Smithers and Kid, but where any of them better than the matches Bret had with the same opponents? Did Owen ever drag an underwhelming opponent to something you’d revisit again and again? Not for me, Clive. I always felt Owen needed opponents that could keep up with him whereas Bret was versatile enough to work anyone to a high standard. I think Owens best work from a character/storytelling role was either his performance ringside in the towel match, or his antics during the “two-time Slammy Award winner” phase just before the Hart Foundation stable forming, where he’d constantly cheat in spite of Smithers wishes or do anything to upstage the European Champion - but most of that wasn’t to do with bell to bell. Was Owen a fantastic performer and entertainer? Yes. Was he a better wrestler than Bret? I’d say no.

As an aside while I don’t consider Owen as versatile as Bret, I’d always recommend his match against Vader from One Night Only as an illustration of what he could do as a plucky underdog. Shits on his “Blackhart” run.

To give Owen props, his visual performance in the promo where Bret starts to put the hart foundation together , is up there with the much lauded HHH facIal reaction that got Cactus Jack over 

I have to agree. 

Owen was flashier than Bret with a more diverse moveset however, for all the reasons mentioned above he wasnt better. 

Bret could have belters with everyone from 123 kid to bam bam, whereas Owen didn't have that versatility. 

Would it have come.... Don't know. I think if it was going to happen it would have. 

As an aside, we all know Bret loves himself. I'll give him absolute credit for his ring work, he was fantastic, however  what he's never seemed to grasp (bizaarely) is that someone like Hogan was a great worker in that what he did was successful, worked and brought in mega money and attention to the sport. 

As pure as his ring work was, no way does wrestling take off in the 80s the way it did if u had a Bret as Champ. 

Love him, hate him or indifference to him, wrestling took off because you had someone who looked like this

spacer.png

A real life fucking cartoon character. 

Hogan:

Look:10

Promo:10

Work: 10

That Bret doesn't see it just shows that sadly he missed the whole point of wrestling (spectacle) which has been the subject of many previous posts

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

That Bret doesn't see it just shows that sadly he missed the whole point of wrestling (spectacle) which has been the subject of many previous posts

I’m not sure Bret would agree that the whole point of wrestling is spectacle... the excellence is in the execution, after all.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Louch said:

To give Owen props, his visual performance in the promo where Bret starts to put the hart foundation together , is up there with the much lauded HHH facIal reaction that got Cactus Jack over 

What? I’ve never heard this before. It’s bollocks, Cactus Jack was over in the WWF before he even made his first appearance. When Mick finally appeared as him on the tron at MSG then popped out the curtain they went mad.

10 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Owen was flashier than Bret with a more diverse moveset

Straight to hell.

10 minutes ago, air_raid said:

What? I’ve never heard this before. It’s bollocks, Cactus Jack was over in the WWF before he even made his first appearance. When Mick finally appeared as him on the tron at MSG then popped out the curtain they went mad.

The mankind to cactus transformation pre total rumble 2000 gets talked about all the time for how HHH reacts facially to show his horror at facing Cactus and helping get the change over 

11 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Love him, hate him or indifference to him, wrestling took off because you had someone who looked like this

WWF certainly took off, wrestling was doing quite nicely before Hulk Hogan. I suggest you read "The truth about smoke filled halls" article from 2002 by@JNLister.

He presents a nice, detailed breakdown of the territories and how many people they were drawing each week, an average US monthly attendance for 1983 would have seen 850,000 paying fans in attendance, not including smaller independent promotions. He concludes that fewer people pay to watch wrestling or even watch it at all, fewer people earn a living from it, and that as a form of weekly live entertainment it's ceased to exist.

Edited by Tamura

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Louch said:

The mankind to cactus transformation pre total rumble 2000 gets talked about all the time for how HHH reacts facially to show his horror at facing Cactus and helping get the change over 

It's a wonderful reaction, I'd say it doesn’t "get cactus over" because the character already is as raid said but it sells the moment perfectly. In other hands mick taking his shirt off wouldn't be a thing but HHH really put over foley having a change of mindset in that moment, that shit just got serious and his arseing about in charge was going to have consequences. 

That cactus was so fondly remembered by many for the more serious and vicious stuff after a months of comedy or affable mankind makes that moment possible in the first place, HHH just sold it superbly.