This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

What's the thoughts on Woods' coach throwing in the towel?

Wood did look gone after the knockdown but there was 10 seconds left in the round and could have potentially got through it. He was up on all the cards and he was the reigning champ.

The referee was happy for it to continue. But Davison stepped in to save him.

It did look like the right call, as Wood was on his stool for a good 2 minutes when the fight was stopped, making sure he was alright.

Lara's a bit of a nutter. He's taking the Warrington dodging personal. He flegged on him after the fight.

37 minutes ago, Rossman said:

What's the thoughts on Woods' coach throwing in the towel?

Wood did look gone after the knockdown but there was 10 seconds left in the round and could have potentially got through it. He was up on all the cards and he was the reigning champ.

The referee was happy for it to continue. But Davison stepped in to save him.

It did look like the right call, as Wood was on his stool for a good 2 minutes when the fight was stopped, making sure he was alright.

Lara's a bit of a nutter. He's taking the Warrington dodging personal. He flegged on him after the fight.

I thought it was a really good call. He was wobbling on unsteady legs and Lara was lining him up to absolutely level him. Crowd didn't like it but they never do.

Good fight tbh. Talk of a rematch clause and I'd be down for that.

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought it was a good call. He was done. It was a shame and there was only seconds left in the round but Davison obviously saw something he didn’t like and, although initially some might’ve thought he jumped the gun, I felt he was proven right when you saw how long Wood looked like he needed to recover after. Davison gets some stick but I feel like he should be applauded for putting his guy’s safety first here. Lara’s an animal. Hope he chins Warrington again, to be honest. 

87735741-7889-4074-B918-92C9339A3DA8.gif

• Paid Members

Hearn was interviewed by IFL and what he said was right. Wood might have got to the end of the round or he might have left on a stretcher or worse, even if he makes it into the next round. I'm not a big fan of Davison but he made a good call. He also said that Wood's rematch clause is either an immediate rematch with Lara or fight the winner of Lara v Warrington. Obviously either has its pluses or minuses but if you fight the winner you will have to wait for the cut to heal after old Space Raider head sticks the nut on Lara. Again. 

• Paid Members

Carl Froch has come out and said Wood told him the next day he was in no shape to continue.

Cracking scrap though as expected. I though Wood was through the worst of it and was cruising to a decision victory. Lara looked abit knackered in rounds 5-6. He's so unpredictable, you cant switch off.

Id love to see him face Warrington and Wood, just keep having the guy come over, he's great value.

Gary Cully looked the business on the undercard too. I think he may rub some fans up the wrong way but thats not a bad thing.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Paul vs. Fury - Feb 26th)

So, who's all watching tomorrow then? 

I know the fight has gotten a bad rap from fans, but see in all honesty? If this was a grudge match between two up & comers on an undercard I'd probably be interested in watching.

Tommy Fury, coming in with an 8-0 record. Even though he's supposedly the "real" boxer, I'm not sure that's the case. He's fought absolute cans to this point, and quite rightly so I guess. Take away his surname and he's just another 23 year old prospect, and you don't usually see prospects face off against opponents who can really trouble them.

Same goes for Jake Paul, who's 26 years old and coming in with a 6-0 record. The only difference between him and Fury is that Paul has fought cans who have some name value of some sort. 

Which brings me back to the "real boxer" stuff. Here's my take on it:

Jake Paul reportedly has a net worth of over $300 million. He's supposedly made around $40 million from his boxing career so far, but he also has income from venture capital interests, sports media, and betting companies. To put it bluntly, he's nowhere near as much of a mug as people like to make him out to be.

Yet despite all of the above, he chooses to drag his arse to the gym every day, go through tough workouts, sparring, and then puts himself in a position to get hurt whenever he fights.

The question I ask is, would Tommy Fury be boxing if he had over $300 million in net worth value and the business and media opportunities that Jake Paul has? I'm guessing the answer would be no. You get the feeling from Tommy Fury that he basically wishes he had what Jake Paul has. And that if he had that he'd be gone from boxing, and who could blame him?

But, it's for this reason that I actually consider Jake Paul to be the "real boxer." He's the guy who doesn't need boxing. He's there because he wants to be there. He doesn't need boxing as a springboard to being famous and making millions.

I hope Paul sparks Fury tomorrow, and I hope he makes a decent go of his boxing career. I don't expect him to be a legitimate world champion any time soon, but I think boxing is better with him in it, forcing the old guard to move into the modern era, and showing fighters how to go out there and promote themselves. 

If Tommy Fury wins tomorrow he'll just use the exposure as a springboard to get another reality TV gig. Meanwhile Paul winning would then have him talking about who's next.

That's the difference for me.

4 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Interesting it's now for world ranking position at cruiserweight for WBC titles. 

That's just the WBC and Sulaiman readying themselves to grab their share of the money that Jake Paul is generating. It has nothing to do with him being deserving at this stage of a ranking position, and is more about trying to shoehorn him into a position where they can cash in on him.

• Paid Members

I always get the impression that Tommy Fury is boxing mostly because he wants to be famous and likes the bit of attention that comes with it. If the Furys were a family of footballers or actors or whatever he’d probably have gone a different route. The fact they were already in Boxing and on the back of Tyson’s name in particular, it’s just the easiest route to celebrity for him. Which is fucked up if he sees it that way because Boxing isn’t the easy anything. I could be completely wrong but it’s the feeling I get with Tommy. Like his heart isn’t really in it. It’s just a way to get paid, get attention and maybe please certain family members.

I’ll never be a Paul fan and I do think it’s gonna be quite funny and interesting to see what the fallout is when/if he finally gets chinned. But I’d rather him win this fight and I think he will. Like him or not you’ve got to respect him putting the time in when, as said, he doesn’t need to. Behind all the shite talk and silliness, I think he genuinely wants to make a go of it in Boxing. He’s just doing it in a different way to anybody we’ve ever seen before in that he came in already financially set and with a built in fanbase so immediately commanded a high purse. I don’t even have a problem with him fighting novices and ageing MMA fighters so far. Boxers of Paul’s experience don’t generally get matched up with good opposition this early in their careers anyway and if anything I’d say a win over Anderson Silva, even a 47 year old Anderson Silva, is actually better win than most 6 fight newbies have on their record.

All that said, I’m definitely not paying a penny for this shite. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The may come as a surprised to you, but i'll be watching.

When this fight got was re-booked i'd all but lost interest but it's slowly dragged me back in. As far as a prediction goes, it's almost impossible to call, I think the obvious pick is Fury, but as mentioned above you do wonder what kind of passion actually has the old boxing game, and for all of Jake Paul's critics, there is absolutely no doubt that he's putting the work in and he's probably improving massively between fights. I watched some of Top Rank's Real Time build up show and it only takes a few minutes of that to see how hard Paul works at this, he also benefits from being able to pay for top of the range facilities and training staff, the guy should be improving at a more than usual rate. I'm torn, it's a coin flip for me.

The cup final is on at half 4 tomorrow so it'll tie nicely into this. The co-main event of Makabu/Jack is a decent chief support too. I don't know anything about the rest of the card:

FpLbHPBWIAIv8x6.thumb.jpg.c537f41a3d6c9950246c9bbab2090bf3.jpg

• Paid Members

I won't be watching and I wish a plague on both of their houses. I have a lot of respect for Jake Paul as a top level grifter, he certainly seems to work hard at what he does, I just don't want to see him box  Tommy Fury is the epitome of living on the family name, he'd be tarmaccing roads if Tyson wasn't his brother. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

My 9yo said to me earlier "Are you watching Jake Paul vs Tommy Fury tonight?" 

I was amazed so asked her how on earth she knows this is on and she told me she has seem loads of adverts for it for weeks on Sky so they're doing something right. 

😂 My daughter’s 9 as well and she somehow knows about it. As well as this Prime shite the kids are banging on about now. Fuck am I selling a kidney for a bit of arsewater in a colourful bottle. 

Edited by wandshogun09