This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Quite enjoyed it myself. Like others have said, you can’t go into a fight like this expecting too much. With fights like this the pre-fight hype always outdoes the actual bell to bell stuff. But I found it entertaining enough. It’s mad really that a fight between two guys with a combined 14 fights going in, was such a big talking point and an event. I never paid for it and I wasn’t buzzing for it or anything but I got into it more than I expected to. Just goes to show this stuff is often more about the characters and personalities involved than it is about actual skill and great fights a lot of the time. Don’t get me wrong, I’d take one Canelo vs Beterbiev or something over 50 fights like this any day. But sometimes the pairing and the story or ‘grudge’ going in is enough. Kind of like the Eubank vs Benn stuff recently. Purely as a fight, it’s not that interesting, it’s the whole story around it and who’s involved. I saw way more Boxing ‘purists’ grudgingly getting into this Paul vs Fury thing over the last week, acting like they weren’t interested but still throwing their two penneth in and clearly following the whole circus whether they’d admit it or not. People at work who never talk about Boxing were chatting a bit about it. More than any fight I can remember since probably Mayweather vs McGregor, another circus fight. As always, it’s certain names and faces and certain combinations of matchups that attract people, not the sport itself.

All that said, this hasn’t aged too well.

F00-EA74-A-DD0-D-4630-A4-BC-C88729-AD8-F

Obviously you can’t take anything the wally says too seriously. Be interesting to see how he comes back from his first loss though. It was one loss in a close fight in which he scored a late knockdown. Hardly a disaster and he’s the kind of polarising twat who will get people tuning in regardless. I’d be surprised if we don’t go straight into a rematch now. It’s an easy story to tell, it’ll almost certainly be a bigger fight than this one and it’s another big payday for both. There’s always the chance they do that Nate Diaz thing they were on about but I think he’ll wanna put that on the backburner now until he can get this one with Fury back. I’m actually more interested in Jake Paul now he’s lost than I ever was before Sunday night.

Edited by wandshogun09

Obviously it should be taken with a fairly well-sized grain of salt, but Jake Paul has hinted at the PPV numbers for his bout with Thomas Fury...

“I guess the silver lining is that the pay-per-views are off the charts,” Paul said. “Probably going to be the biggest fight of the year. It’s going to be hard to contend with. Maybe [Ryan] Garcia and [Gervonta] Davis.

“It’s probably coming at over half a million buys. Still totaling everything. So the business is great.”

I have to say, it wouldn't surprise me. The buzz online and on social media before and after was more than I've seen for any boxing match since Mayweather fought McGregor.

Edited by David

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊
19 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

So yeah, there will be a rematch

I think that was always on the cards really, wasn't it? I don't see either of them really making much of a dent in the traditional, qualified boxing scene so a rematch then they can both continue fighting these fun little novelty bouts. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I think so. Even if Jake Paul had beaten Fury i'd have no problem with him just going back in with MMA fighters. Tommy quite clearly has a ceiling as a boxer, he should just cash in and get in the KSI mix too.

• Paid Members

it's all about the UFC tonight, but here's a wee heads up for a decent little UK show happening tonight...

Screenshot_20230123_205102_com.instagram.android_edit_9133985194653122.jpg.620bd3321699de7ffb4334efb9afe467.jpg#L

Lewis Ritson fights Ohara Davies up in Newcastle. Solid Super Lightweight bout. Weirdly Ohara Davies comes in the betting favorite despite being out of the limelight for years, you gotta fancy Ritson here. I'd love to see Ritson go back on a bit of a run, there was a short period where he was one of the most exciting prospects in the country, it all died off after he lost though.

Ward/Kholmatov looks good chief support too. Ward has a ridiculous 33-0-1 record but he's the underdog against an unheralded Khomatov. These Uzbekistan fighters don't fuck around, I expect Kolmatov to look abit of a beast here, he's 9-0.

The fight is over on Fite TV, it's a standalone PPV but if you sign up for Fite+ for a 7 day trial you'll get it for nowt, just remember to cancel. Tidy

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

you gotta fancy Ritson

I hope you didn't put your money where you mouth was Egg. 

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

, I expect Kolmatov to look abit of a beast here, he's 9-0.

You were bang on about this part though. Kolmatov looked like a monster. 

• Paid Members

It's nice to see that there was so little interest in Tony Yoka v Carlos Takam that you didn't even change the name of the thread Egg. Yoka is shit. Bakole stuffed him and only got a split decision, Takam won 9 rounds last night and he also only got a split decision. They are trying with Yoka but he is sub Audley at the minute.