This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Tank did his thing. I can't recall ever seeing a fighter be so calm and relaxed during a high stakes fight. It's almost like Tank knows that his power will eventually catch up with his opponent so he's just enjoying himself and not in the least bit concerned about losing rounds. I had Garcia a point up going into round 8 but Tank upped the output and the first real prolonged attack led to the end of the fight. Can't help but feel that Tank's reserved nature will catch up with him and he'll lost on the cards eventually but he's doing alright until now.

FmEnUUWXwAAOmnG.thumb.jpg.145ecfbe83ff0ca7a4cf6c71b9c2af39.jpg

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Eubank Jr. vs. Smith- Jan 21st)
  • Paid Members

First big domestic show of the incoming on Saturday...

FmllJ35WQAYL37o.thumb.jpg.b52ba1fac8b17707c55d67f10be85e46.jpg#

That main is no Eubank/Benn in terms of flashiness, but it's arguably a better fight. 

I really don't know who wins this, I immediately lean towards Eubank but he's never really delivered against a top opponent, it'll be competitive no doubt and it'll likely go the distance. I think there may end up being controversy over the decision come the end of the night. I think it'll deliver though.

The undercard is good stuff. Last year it felt like domestic boxing went through a transitional phase with promotions building new stables, but the fight cards announced so far are solid. This one has a bit of everything, name value, good fights (Riakporhe/Glowacki, Essuman/Kongo), random shit (Parker/Massey) and a few prospects (Clarke & Harris), I think they have the balance right here.

oooh and looks, they even have a fancy graphic...

FmnEg7RWAAIf3PY.thumb.jpg.a80371366975fc7fb1a7215d94f25493.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 7:52 AM, Egg Shen said:

I really don't know who wins this, I immediately lean towards Eubank but he's never really delivered against a top opponent, it'll be competitive no doubt and it'll likely go the distance. I think there may end up being controversy over the decision come the end of the night. I think it'll deliver though.

Eubank is more natural at the weight and can bang. Eubanks record is pretty patchy. He has one good performance, then nothing happens and the momentum is lost. But his losses are only down to his opponents being much better technical boxers. Liam Smith isn't as slick as a BJS or George Groves.

But Liam Smith's best win was probably against Jesse Vargas. Just because Vargas was a two weight world champion about 8 years ago, but has been on a dramatic decline ever since. Also Smith's reign as a world champion had some of the worst challengers I have ever seen.

Defeated John Thompson (not the bloke from Cold Feet) to win the vacant belt. Then had two defences against Jimmy Kelly & Predrag Radošević. Fighters noone has heard of since. But that is the beauty of Frank Warren promoting.

• Paid Members

Yeah, for two guys who are considered amongst top tier of British boxers neither really has a great win on their resume. You could argue both's best win is Liam Williams, which doesn't make for great reading. Could alternatively go Vargas for Smith and maybe DeGale for Eubank but but both were massively on the backend when those fights happend.

Ive found myself leaning more towards Smith the past day or so though and watching some build up. Apparently there's a rematch clause in place so we may end up seeing it again regardless.

When the fight was announced my first thought was Eubank JR takes it via late stoppage or on points, I feel the same way now a couple days out but will go with Eubank via UD.

If the fight wasn't big enough, it's being reported Kell Brook wants the winner, people better get the wallets ready, they already trying to line up another domestic fight for no title, for that PPV loot.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Why is there a rematch clause. They aren't fighting for a belt worth more than your average British wrestling promotions "Heavyweight" title are they?

that's what I thought, must be a money thing where they know they can go straight into another PPV.

That said, i may heard it wrong and there isn't a rematch clause😄

Some good buildup stuff over on the Sky/Boxxer Youtube channel though...

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

that's what I thought, must be a money thing where they know they can go straight into another PPV.

Another PPV! This fight can only be PPV because Bigtime Ben Shalom has paid too much to sign Smith and Eubank , and the only way he can look to break even isn't trying to get £20 odd quid out of folks. If we are honest this fight is a good Saturday night fight on Sky or DAZN but it's not a PPV for where they are in their careers and what they are fighting for. 

• Paid Members

It will be PPV if this one sells well. If the first fight does no numbers surely they wouldn't do it again. Realistically how many buys do you think they would be happy with for this, 200k? I can't imagine it does more than the low hundreds of thousands. 

• Paid Members

honestly, no idea. Has a fight that's been on PPV ever just gone to regular TV for the rematch though?

I guess if Smith wins and the show isn't a success financially, Eubank would wave the right to a rematch and explore something else anyway.

• Paid Members

always have to share a Don King poster when they crop up because they are the best posters in combat sports.

Jonathon Guidry fights Bermane Stiverne tomorrow, they are fighting for peace in the Ukraine again which is nice.

Just look at it:

20230120_122735.thumb.jpg.43386f1094ac5c070d2097b9c525dd76.jpg