This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Heads up...real solid weekend of domestic Boxing ahead, shows on Friday, Saturday & Sunday...

FiFb5nZXgAMCsrG.thumb.jpg.c3276763bdc5c143900043e7059def47.jpg

The highlights are spread between the 4.

Parker/Ryder, Whyte/Franklin, Wardley/Gorman, Azim/Charlton. All quality/interesting fights for one reason or another. 

Caught the ten minute highlights of Whyte v Franklin and even that was boring. Whyte was plodding about and wouldn't get out of 1st gear. Franklin tried to speed things up but Whyte kept smothering him. Only real action was in the last round where they traded a bit. Whyte got the better of Franklin at the end. But punch stats were pretty much equal hence two score cards were equal. 

Zack Parker/ John Ryder ended after four rounds. Parker broke his hand and had to quit.

Regis Prograis beat Jose Zepeda to win the light welterweight world title.

• Paid Members

yeah, strange little weekend.

Can't help but feel that Zach Parker wasn't enjoying that John Ryder fight. The injury looks legit. but usually i'd expect someone in such a high profile fight to try and fight on a little longer to see if they can adapt or fight through it but Parker got out of there quick. Bit of a shame really as it was warming up. John Ryder looks like he'll land a Canelo fight off the back of that though which will be a cracking payday for him.

I quite enjoyed Whyte/Franklin, but mainly because I found myself rooting for Franklin who came in unheralded but gave it a hell of a go. I scored it a draw but had Franklin winning until the last 3 or 4 rounds. With better conditioning I think he would have cruised that, i'd watch him again. I think Dillian Whyte is close to finished at top level though, didn't look great but from Matchroom's point of view, setting up a Summer stadium rematch now between AJ and Whyte seems pretty ideal. It'll sell big and it should really be an AJ victory which is what they'll want.

Wardley/Gorman as chief support on the same show was bananas. A 3 round slugfest, Gorman done fucked up by busting Wardley's nose because he pissed the man off. I think Gorman lacks the minerals when shit gets rough in there, he didn't respond well to being under fire. Fun fight though, Wardley's great value.

A. Davies watch...

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Forgot to add, Adam Azim headlining the Boxxer card Sunday. I know there's been numerours marketed heirs to the Prince Naseem throne over the years, Adam Azim may be the one that gets closest, he looks pretty special. I expect Sky to push him hard over the next couple of years, lots of knockovers and highlights card placements. He walked through a decent domestic fighter in Rylan Charlton with frightening ease, it was a mismatch.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing (Fury vs. Chisora III - Dec 3rd) 🥊
  • Paid Members

yeah, not seen the sit down yet, but i'll catch it. It's easily the best fight on these shores this weekend, and the best fight the new Channel 5 Wasserman deal has given us. The shows are apparently doing huge numbers, reports are saying that the Harlem Eubank/Tom Farrell fight last Friday peaked at 1.8 million viewers, these are the most watched fights in the country. 

I'm not sure who i'm picking, the buzz on Kelly has all but gone away since the Avenesyan loss, but he hardly lost to a bad fighter. Bookies have it even and I either see Kelly out-boxing Williamson, or Williamson really making it a hard, physical fight and winning it late on. Gonna be good.

• Paid Members

Yeah my thinking is if Williamson is gonna win it’s by coming on strong later on but Kelly might’ve built up too much of a lead by then. Interesting fight. I’m more into this than the Fury vs Chisora trilogy nobody wanted. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Fury/Chisora show is gonna be a weird one. From a casual fan standpoint, maybe this thing is generating more interest than I realise, but the talk from inside the online boxing community is as bad any PPV fight I can remember. Announding the PPV price at £27 felt like the final dagger into the event. Fury and Chisora themselves haven't done a great job in selling the fight, if any fight could have done with some bullshit theatrics it was this one.

As for the fight. I can honestly see Fury intentionally making this a harder nights work than it needs to be. I think he's well aware that a 12 round schooling or an early blowout is just going to fuel the fire that the fight is a bit of a mismatch. I think he might have a slugfest with Chisora just to try giving people their money's worth. He'll still probably win that fight, but it does give Chisora a very slim punchers chance.

The business end of the supporting bill is decent. Dubois/Lerena may look like a mismatch but it could be decent. Lerena will be undersized but was by all accounts a decent Crusierweight and will be coming to frustrate and evade Dubois, listening to the guy he sounds well up for it and that's always nice to hear.

Ivan Mendy/Denys Berinchyk is on there too. It'll play out to silence but it's a decent European Title fight. Berinchyk is a bit of a maniac. He's an Olympian and comes from the same boxing team as Usyk/Loma etc. and beat Artem Lobov in a bare knuckle fight quite recently. 

Usual Queensbury prospects after that. I won't be paying for it, but I will be watching.

• Paid Members

Well, it ended up being about as bad as some feared. A horrid mismatch that went on about 3-4 rounds more than it should have. Chisora looked like he was stuck in the mud, and Fury never quite did enough to force a stoppage depsite it being completely one sided. Not good.

The thing with Usyk/Joyce at the end was one of the most bizarre scenes I ever recall seeing in Boxing, what the hell was that about? and why does Fury continually called Usyk a rabbit?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

who knows?

from what i can gather, all the involved parties are on board to make this thing happen 

Did anyone see Dubois/Lerena? one of the strangest fights ive ever seen. Dubois down 3 times in the first round, seemingly with a leg injury, then Lerana completely let him off the hook.

After the 3rd knockdown in round 1 the bell rung 9 seconds early as well potentially saving him. The Top Rank commentary heralded it a "heavyweight classic", what the hell were they watching 😄