Mr_Danger Posted November 24, 2025 Posted November 24, 2025 45 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: I have mixed feelings on Pluribus. On one hand, it’s an interesting concept and well-written, on the other, I’ve no idea how it can sustain the intended four seasons. It already feels very slow and at times like nothing much is happening. I still like it, but I’m unsure as to how they can keep ot interesting. The Chair Company is tremendous. One of the strangest things I’ve watched in a while; absolutely hilarious, yet surprisingly tense and heartfelt. That’s kind of his thing though isn’t it. It was the biggest barrier to people getting drawn in to Breaking Bad but once you’re in you’re in. I agree on the four seasons though, it’ll be interesting to see where he takes the show as I thought it might be a one and done job. I think the biggest thing the show has going for it at the moment is that it could literally go anywhere. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 24, 2025 Posted November 24, 2025 Yeah, I remember watching Breaking Bad from the beginning but barely knowing anyone else that was watching it at the time. Not sure when that changed or when the buzz exactly took off - part way through S2 probably going into S3 - but yeah, I think Pluribus has a head start on Vince's name alone now, plus Rhea obviously. Only thing holding it back, as with many top quality shows these days, is that it's hidden away on Apple. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 24, 2025 Posted November 24, 2025 49 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Only thing holding it back, as with many top quality shows these days, is that it's hidden away on Apple. I think everyone I know who's watching it is doing so through piracy... Hardly anyone has an Apple TV subscription even though it's probably the best service for genuinely great TV, there's just not enough on there in general for many people to fork out for yet another channel. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 24, 2025 Posted November 24, 2025 22 minutes ago, Merzbow said: I think everyone I know who's watching it is doing so through piracy... Hardly anyone has an Apple TV subscription even though it's probably the best service for genuinely great TV, there's just not enough on there in general for many people to fork out for yet another channel. It's the only one I sub/unsub depending on what's on it. And usually just try to pick up free trials or cheaper deals. I've just re-subbed on the Black Friday deal as I want Pluribus, the newest Slow Horses and a few other things so don't mind too much. But yeah, despite having some of the best TV output, I don't know many who actually properly subscribe to it. Quote
organizedkaos Posted November 24, 2025 Posted November 24, 2025 Thing is Breaking Bad had incredible propulsive moments between slow meditative "hows everyone feeling" episodes (and arguably it didn't find the best version of that rhythm til season 3 / late season 2) I understand with something like Pluribus you can spend a little time establishing tone because it's not in our world (and BB used tropes so you kinda understood "Crazy drug dealer boss" more than "Are these Aliens good"). The main character is also currently reacting not causing the storyline to move forward so it's going to feel less exciting (whereas BB starts with Walt making decisions and following through) But yeah (not seen this weeks episode) it is starting to feel like another one of *those shows*. You know the ones where the writer has this grand plan but they want to lay all the groundwork first because streaming is weird and they're not beholden to weekly ratings. It would be like spending a season with Walt post diagnosis but doing all the flashbacks / stuff with the other company he left in the first season. Then at the end of season one you commence the breaking of the bad. Obv the subject matter is different but this review summed this effect up p well https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2025/nov/20/a-man-on-the-inside-season-two-review-ted-dansons-netflix Now I do trust Vince Gilligan and Better Call Saul had this issue for a while (oh no the brothers are sniping at each other again, best tune in next week to see more passive aggressive family interactions) but I'm just a bit bored of shows that spend 10 hours slowly getting me invested and then they take a few years off. I just want to be excited to see the next episode again. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 24, 2025 Posted November 24, 2025 Personally I think S3 should've been the end but I'll still fucking watch this so I'm obviously weak. One of my favourite casts on TV. Quote
organizedkaos Posted November 25, 2025 Posted November 25, 2025 To follow up on Pluribus thoughts post episode 4 Spoiler Less of the reservations from before. It's still pretty slow paced but part of that is Gilligan's style (the opening scene was ultra BB/BCS). The slow paced character stuff felt like it had a point, firstly Carol is actively trying to figure out what's going on not just wtfing about. Conversations with the joined become about figuring her angle rather than just being a bit creepy and weird. The backstory stuff with conversion therapy was a perfect piece of character history in how it feels related to what's happening. Finally she actually then makes a move, obviously it gets her nowhere but it was a move. It established her agency and the interesting morals around what's she's doing Still could serve to be a little more exciting but by the end of the episode i felt i knew more about Carol, what she's doing, why she's doing and am intruiged by what she does next (although the fact there's essentially no danger to her means they could easily just spend 3 episodes doing nothing so reservations still exist) Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 27, 2025 It: Welcome To Derry 5 episodes in to this and it's a very dumb and awful show. I'm sticking with it because I love the novel and Pennywise the Clown and it has occasional moments of creative horror but fucking hell what a mess. You'd think a show about an inter-dimensional monster that feeds on people's fears set during a period filled with racism, bigotry, changing social values and cold war paranoia would be pretty simple stuff but no, they've included psychics, someone who has had a brain injury that makes them fearless (yes, really), military conspiracies and magic daggers from space. I don't think the people behind this have any understanding of the source material at all. The acting is pretty terrible across the piece, some of the CG is very ropey and the story only makes sense if you conclude that literally every character is a complete fucking idiot. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted November 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 27, 2025 1 hour ago, LaGoosh said: they've included psychics I was mulling over whether to watch this or not, but your review - and this line in particular- puts me off. I hate any show or film that treats psychics as credible and real, even if the show is supernatural in nature. It takes me right out of it. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted November 27, 2025 Moderators Posted November 27, 2025 Rinsed through series 2 of An Inside Man this week. Michael Schur is just great; the consideration and warmth in everything he makes is very wholesome and life affirming. It's also a funny show which helps. Good Place wasn't very funny even though it was nice and explored interesting ideas. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted November 27, 2025 Posted November 27, 2025 2 hours ago, LaGoosh said: It: Welcome To Derry 5 episodes in to this and it's a very dumb and awful show. I'm sticking with it because I love the novel and Pennywise the Clown and it has occasional moments of creative horror but fucking hell what a mess. You'd think a show about an inter-dimensional monster that feeds on people's fears set during a period filled with racism, bigotry, changing social values and cold war paranoia would be pretty simple stuff but no, they've included psychics, someone who has had a brain injury that makes them fearless (yes, really), military conspiracies and magic daggers from space. I don't think the people behind this have any understanding of the source material at all. The acting is pretty terrible across the piece, some of the CG is very ropey and the story only makes sense if you conclude that literally every character is a complete fucking idiot. I got to the end of episode one and I haven’t revisited yet. Felt too much like an episode of American Horror Story. I probably will give it another go but your review just confirms it’s everything I thought it would be. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 27, 2025 Posted November 27, 2025 45 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: Rinsed through series 2 of An Inside Man this week. Michael Schur is just great; the consideration and warmth in everything he makes is very wholesome and life affirming. It's also a funny show which helps. Good Place wasn't very funny even though it was nice and explored interesting ideas. This is my weekend plan! Been looking forward to it. Quote
organizedkaos Posted November 27, 2025 Posted November 27, 2025 1 hour ago, RedTwoster said: I was mulling over whether to watch this or not, but your review - and this line in particular- puts me off. I hate any show or film that treats psychics as credible and real, even if the show is supernatural in nature. It takes me right out of it. I meant that's an admirable stance but also in this case isn't the psychic power Spoiler the shining? I mean it's a supernatural horror story. Stephen King loves premonitions and psychic energy. Probably shouldn't consider watching anything based on his work? (I've not actually seen the show, was keeping an eye on it in case it was good cos I do love a bit of SK and can still remember reading It as a teenager, now i just read recaps to see what nonsense they did this week cos clearly it's never gonna be a good show) Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted November 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 27, 2025 3 minutes ago, organizedkaos said: I meant that's an admirable stance but also in this case isn't the psychic power Oh it’s totally irrational in the context of a show about the supernatural, but it’s always something that grates on me. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 27, 2025 I don't have much issues with them using psychic powers in the show in theory but they are going about it in the most boring nonsensical way possible. Not to go too deep into spoiler territory but a story about the US military using a psychic so they can capture IT and drop it on Moscow is very stupid indeed and not really in the spirit of what the novel is about. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.