3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Very good. The previous Maccies advert with the smug overly-happy bastards in the traffic jam raising their eyebrows at each other is the worst advert I've ever seen though.

That one where the whole estate puts in their order to that one woman ordering McDonalds.

Fuck that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 10/15/2023 at 4:44 PM, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Just finished 'The Fall of the House of Usher' on Netflix. 

I really enjoyed it. Fairly mild horror with loads of Poe references. Great for me.

Just finished this today. While not as good as Midnight Mass (it's a very high bar for my money as Mike Flanagan's best work), I thought this was excellent. The whole cast really delivered, the story worked, and while the deaths were gruesome in places, it never felt like it strayed too far away from the central story. Very much enjoyed the whole series.  

I don’t know how it avoided my radar entirely for however many years, but just recently started watching Bosch. Closest I’ve seen to a proper spiritual successor to The Wire - which makes sense, as apparently it was written by someone on David Simon’s writing staff. Quite a few Wire cast turn up too.

It’s shot very similarly to The Wire, the dialogue is similarly written and they go to great lengths to give characters fleshed out backstory and purpose.

It’s like if someone said ‘do CSI, but in the style of The Wire.’

Enjoying so far (only on season 2).

• Paid Members

ezgif-1-95e77a84ba.gif

You rang? 

Fantastic show, fantastic theme tune. It's riddled with cop show clichés, but it does every one of them so well you don't care. Titus Welliver puts in a properly strange lead performance as well.

I couldn't get on with Bosch: Legacy though. Whatever the magic the original series is completely missing in that one.   

On 11/3/2023 at 10:58 AM, mim731 said:

Just finished this today. While not as good as Midnight Mass (it's a very high bar for my money as Mike Flanagan's best work), I thought this was excellent. The whole cast really delivered, the story worked, and while the deaths were gruesome in places, it never felt like it strayed too far away from the central story. Very much enjoyed the whole series.  

I felt like the show peaked early and it was diminishing returns as it went on but it was still very enjoyable. Rahul Kohli lifts it up a couple of notches for making his character a Liverpool fan as well as being a Jordan collecting gamer.

11 hours ago, gmoney said:

ezgif-1-95e77a84ba.gif

You rang? 

Fantastic show, fantastic theme tune. It's riddled with cop show clichés, but it does every one of them so well you don't care. Titus Welliver puts in a properly strange lead performance as well.

I couldn't get on with Bosch: Legacy though. Whatever the magic the original series is completely missing in that one.   

Like I say, I’m pretty fresh off the boat onto Bosch land but I think it’s a deliberate attempt to tackle the traditional cop show but elevate the form. A but like Poker Face’s spin on Columbo’s ‘howsolveit’ structure.

Lance Reddick being Lance Reddick is a treat, but Welliver - who I wasn’t hugely familiar with - is outstanding. His character is so well rounded, and everything he does is consistent with the character. 

Looking ahead, it looks like reviews are incredible throughout its run. Season 1 has an aggregated score of 83% on RT, whilst Seasons 2 to 7 all have 100%. Even Legacy has 100%.

In tremendous news, theres a new Spartacus spin off coming our way, following Ashur. Its being done by the same guy who did the original show as well. I know there was a big following at the time on this forum for the show. I think it was Frantic who would constantly talk about how great it was, amoungst others. I can remember checking it out based on the hype it got on here. Will have to give it a rewatch I think, as I remember it being fantastic at the time.

On 10/19/2023 at 7:36 PM, SuperBacon said:

That one where the whole estate puts in their order to that one woman ordering McDonalds.

Fuck that one.

I’d rather be that woman as she’s going to rack up those reward points in no time.

The Drive Thru one (and the previous Office one) though, imagine getting there after that lot have. You won’t be getting served until May

• Paid Members

Started watching People Just Do Nothing, very funny first couple of episodes. I assume you approve of the eggbox theme of the first episode, @gmoney

I'm now into the post-marriage seasons of The Office, when does it start going shit so I can start on something else before I suffer too much?

Hill Street Blues is still awesome into the fourth series. One of the greatest of all time for me.

41 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Started watching People Just Do Nothing, very funny first couple of episodes. I assume you approve of the eggbox theme of the first episode, @gmoney

Easily in my list of favourite comedies, and not just because you see a load of places I grew up frequenting, and my old college in a later series. I knew so many Grindahs, that it completely rings true. 

Just a wonderful show, full of fantastic performances, and one I revisit often. Beats is my fave, but they're all gold.

Actually, coming back to Grindah, he is a really good MC and I think that makes a massive difference. Yes they're taking the mick, but they clearly love the music/culture and are respectful of it (they should be, its made them rich!)

I watch this every couple of months and he "shells" it, as the kids say. Steves selection of tracks is excellent as well. Well worth 20 minutes of anyone's time.

Also, if, and it's a big if, you can get past Charlie Sloth, this is very funny as well. Especially when Grindah "freestyles" 

Both set after the show, but there's no spoilers.

Keep it locked. Each and every.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've actually only ever seen one episode, because my missus was an extra in it. She plays someone in a pre-natal class. 

If there's eggbox action though, I'm in.