The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, air_raid said:

This feels about right. Hogan era of 89 was wildly different to when he ascended in 84. Likewise, by 94 there are very few of the class of 89 left apart from Bret and Shawn who had undergone tremendous growth/change. 1999 might as well be 15 years different in comparison, 2004 feels different again. It's only thereafter where you find more and more of the same guys are still there at five year intervals, and to complete the circular discussion back to the benefit of having AEW and another viable "place to work" - 04-09 being the first full five year markers between which, there was no serious competition.

The old adage used to be the Seven Year Rule - after seven years, you can rehash a storyline or angle, or give an old gimmick to a new wrestler, because the audience will have refreshed itself enough; enough people will have stopped watching, and enough new fans will have started watching, that the ideas will come across as fresh and new again, and the fans who have stuck around either won't make enough noise about it being a rehash for it to matter, or are lifers by now so they're not going anywhere and you don't need to worry about them. 

It usually holds up, but I agree that the inverse should be true as well, that in those seven years the show itself should have refreshed too - whether that's the roster as a whole, or their gimmicks and position on the card; one of the things I always find amusing watching New Generation era WWF is that the midcard is largely awful, but so many of them are people who, with a fresh lick of paint, became much bigger stars in the Attitude Era just a couple of years later.

The absence of a major competitor or external pressures, and WWE being content to rest on their laurels with the top stars of yesteryear, meant that not only was never that roster turnover, there was barely any impetus for people to change gimmicks and reinvent themselves - Dolph Ziggler didn't become a tedious time-filler just because he'd been there for so long, but because he'd been doing the exact same schtick the entire time. Ricochet has been in WWE for six years now, and is the exact same character he was when he walked through the door in NXT, and I'd struggle to name you anything of note he's done - in that amount of time, Charles Wright had been Papa Shango, Kama, Kama Mustafa, and the Godfather, and was about to become The Goodfather.

They could do with Drew getting the Brock treatment going forward. Even if he doesn’t win his opponent should come out feeling lucky to have survived. His character is on point and could just as easily go anti hero as heel the way it’s portrayed he just needs a bit more aura around his matches.

• Paid Members

Announcing the other 2 of New Day vs the other 2 of Imperium makes me reach for my tinfoil hat and wish that Big E was secretly recovered in time for Mania.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3jTtVRs6n-/?igsh=ZzY4ZHV0bHJ2a25s

Seth Rollins part in this is making me very nervous. Go away.

I like it. It’s building jeopardy in the minds of jaded smarks like us. That’s to say… I like it now, and I like it as long as Cody still wins.

Good smart booking this week - if Cody wins and/or Priest cashes in on Rollins and/or the belts swap shows and/or there’s a draft, setting Drew up logically as Cody’s first challenger, if he isn’t leaving Mania the Silver Medalist.

• Paid Members

This fucking guy. I’m all the way back in again. Would run through walls for him. If we get a weekend where Sami Zayn topples Gunther and Cody topples Roman? I’ll weep. Two best babyfaces of the last few decades, ending historic runs, raising gold. Fucking yes, lads. It’s like the last twelve months of Sami being purposely cooled off never happened. We’re back! Absolute magic.

On the other end of the spectrum, despite what’s been a reasonable story, with the match making perfect sense, I’m fully expecting Jimmy and Jey to shit the bed at Wrestlemania. Unless you’re miracle workers like Bret, Owen, Cody or Dustin, it just never works, does it? Hope I’m wrong.

Re-doing the Mania 39 Main event finish?! Like getting Vietnam flashbacks! Solo still hiding his face with the hoodie, only to immediately reveal himself. That’s the big finish at Mania 40, right there. The big run-in comes, only the hoodie comes down to actually reveal The Rock, who turns on Roman.

Conor McGregor? Gross. If nothing else, he’d fit in on Smackdown, with Orton and AJ equally juiced out of their minds. He and Hunter could also have nice long chats about quietly brushing sex crimes under the rug.

• Paid Members

If we get a weekend where Sami Zayn topples Gunther and Cody topples Roman? I’ll weep.

The question, @Supremo, is if they go Mania XX with it and have a big hug between just the pair of them, or go full Mania X and have a ring full of happy goodies celebrating, with Seth playing Lex in the corner, grinning like he's pretending to enjoy a warm glass of piss.

23 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Pat McAfee is bloody awful.

Yeah, there was a period toward the end of his last run where he became infectious and brought out the best in Cole, but he's back to going for minutes at a time ignoring Cole's direct comments towards him and the awkward stop-start cadence like he's just landed from another planet and is trying to replicate how we converse.