VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

Good chance he’s forgotten what his actual accent is. 

See also - Charlie Hunnam.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

How much is Tom Hardy in it? I do want to see it but that accent he’s doing is jarring and I can’t put up with it if it’s most of the film. 

He's the club leader but from the perspective the film is being told from he's the second most prominent character/second most lines behind the female lead. Overall though it's the Comer and Hardy show, with Butler saying very, very little. Michael Shannon has a small part as well, shame this wasn't expanded to be a bit larger. 

• Paid Members

Furiosa (cinema)

Went to see it again. Can't speak highly enough of the character work in this, it's how it distinguishes itself from Fury Road and is an awesome film all by itself. I think the early scenes with Furiosa's mother are the best thing I've seen all year in films, just brilliant.

This summer I'm doing a huge project of watching mostly crime films, and these are some of the standouts so far. Most of them are on YouTube or ok.ru.

The Thin Man series

Watched all 6 of these. As crime films, I can take them or leave them and they're all much the same. As romantic comedies, they're all wonderful, William Powell and Myrna Loy are one of the greatest on-screen teams in history. And then there's Asta the dog too. I recommend them all.

Give 'em Hell, Malone

Largely forgotten noir pastiche action film with Thomas Jane. Works a lot better than I expected and is pleasingly violent. Features a cracking turn from Eugene Victor Tooms as a deranged pyromaniac. Won't be to everyone's tastes (well, let's face it, no other cunt's seen it or going to anyway) but Russell Mulcahy made a bunch of enjoyable junk like this, not least Ricochet, one of the best (and definitely the maddest) action films of the 1990s.

Big House, USA

Excellent prison escape thriller that turns into a couple of other things before the end. Broderick Crawford has become one of my favourite actors recently, just perfect for films like this.

Gun Crazy 

Still one of the greatest noirs of all time, and one that has an interesting femme fatale / lead actor dynamic in it. There's a scene in this where they rob a bank, shot from the inside of the car, including an ensuing car chase, that is about 30 years ahead of its time.

LaRoy, Texas

Any film that gives Steve Zahn such a prominent role is fine with me. He's superb as always in this, very funny. A bit too reliant on Coen influence for its own good but it's a fairly breezy black comedy that's worth seeing.

Ride the Pink Horse

Slightly surreal New Mexico-set noir with odd characters and an odder setting. There's something pleasingly weird about it all and Robert Montgomery's stilted performance. Almost like a proto-Twin Peaks in a way.

Joy House

Unpredictable French crime film that starts as a chase thriller and becomes something a lot weirder and more psychological later on. Jane Fonda's as brilliant as always and the ending is amazing.

Graveyard of Honour

Possibly my favourite Takashi Miike to date, perhaps even more so than Audition. Relentlessly violent and unpleasant but with a lead character you can't take your eyes off. One of the best Yakuza films.

59 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Graveyard of Honour

Possibly my favourite Takashi Miike to date, perhaps even more so than Audition. Relentlessly violent and unpleasant but with a lead character you can't take your eyes off. One of the best Yakuza films.

His straight up gangster films are so often overlooked, I think it was the Black Society Trilogy he made in the 90's where I really fell in love with his work.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

His straight up gangster films are so often overlooked, I think it was the Black Society Trilogy he made in the 90's where I really fell in love with his work.

I also watched Agitator yesterday but it was really boring and went on forever. You never know what you're gonna get with him!

• Paid Members

14 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Never heard of LaRoy, Texas, @Devon Malcolm but sounds right up my street and has been added to the list! 

Yeah, if you like the Coens and don't expect too much, you may well enjoy it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Could go in here or the telly thread but this just launched here officially so might be worth a look.

It's got a really eclectic library, much different from all the other streamers, looking forward to finally being able to access it.

• Paid Members

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (Netflix)

Decent! Basically just plays the hits from the original, including the same music (those Axel F remixes are great). Some good action scenes, a few laughs, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt slots into it really well. About as good as 2 but nowhere near as good as 1. Obviously a million times better than 3.

A Quiet Place: Day One (cinema)

I mean, we didn't need an origin story for this franchise considering the first film covers Day One territory too. And its connection to Part 2 with Djimon Hounsou's character is completely pointless. Solid though and the character work is surprisingly high quality. Not as good as the main two though.

Inside Out 2 (cinema)

I'm pleased for Pixar they finally got another megahit but the fallout from this is Disney have another franchise to strangle pennies out of. Very good, lacks the novelty and a bit of the heart of the first one, but it's still going to matter to a lot of kids. And that's all that matters.

No Man of God (Prime / ITVX)

Another Ted Bundy film. You don't need to see this if you've seen the rest of them but it is quite good in its own right. Luke Kirby nails Bundy's mannerisms and aura extremely well.

Finestkind

Tommy Lee Jones does a whale impression. Ben Foster has followed up Leave No Trace with some weird role choices. I love that guy but I'm worried about him. Jenna Ortega is really badly miscast in this but still good. This was average at best.

Keep an Eye Out

Another Mr. Oizo film, completely stupid in every way but absolutely my sense of humour. Quentin Dupieux could be one of my favourite directors now and I don't know how to feel about that.

• Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Decent! Basically just plays the hits from the original, including the same music (those Axel F remixes are great). Some good action scenes, a few laughs, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt slots into it really well. About as good as 2 but nowhere near as good as 1. Obviously a million times better than 3.

Nice, didn't even know this was a thing.

That's tonight sorted.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Decent! Basically just plays the hits from the original, including the same music (those Axel F remixes are great). Some good action scenes, a few laughs, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt slots into it really well. About as good as 2 but nowhere near as good as 1. Obviously a million times better than 3

I'm glad to hear it. I had visions of this being absolutely dogshite, so this is pleasant news to hear. Friday night viewing for me this week I think.