VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Scream V was alright but VI was absolutely shite.

Weird triple today

Jurassic Park is the new film series my daughter wanted to watch (following MI and Of The Apes series). The first is still a great family treat.

The Lost World Jurassic Park (First Watch) is one of the worst Spielberg films I’ve seen. Watching the first 2 back to back obviously makes this look bad, less impressive effects, dull story, far too long and less fun overall. Shame.

Dune part one (first time) IMAX re-release before part 2 next month. Missed this in its original run so decided to see it as intended. Whilst I found it slow to get going, once it did, oh my. Such a beautiful looking film you forget how beautiful Denis’ films look. Glad I only have a few weeks to wait for part 2. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Lost World Jurassic Park (First Watch) is one of the worst Spielberg films I’ve seen. Watching the first 2 back to back obviously makes this look bad, less impressive effects, dull story, far too long and less fun overall. Shame.

Lost World is a weird one because some of the set pieces are absolutely tremendous and it has some top tier Spielberg bits in it but overall it's a pretty bad movie with basically zero story or characters you want to root for. Why they completed changed Ian Malcolm's character to be the most boring generic man on Earth has always confused me. But Pete Postelwaite is loads of fun and the bits with the trailer hanging off the cliff, the dinosaur stampede/capture, Peter Stormare's death and the sick as hell long grass raptor scene are all classic Spielberg goodness.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Lost World is a weird one because some of the set pieces are absolutely tremendous and it has some top tier Spielberg bits in it but overall it's a pretty bad movie with basically zero story or characters you want to root for. Why they completed changed Ian Malcolm's character to be the most boring generic man on Earth has always confused me. But Pete Postelwaite is loads of fun and the bits with the trailer hanging off the cliff, the dinosaur stampede/capture, Peter Stormare's death and the sick as hell long grass raptor scene are all classic Spielberg goodness.

And I did like the way they incorporated some bits from the original book (like the opening sequence) and thought it was a tad more gory (again similar to the of book, never read The Lost World). I mean it’s not awful, but when you have the filmography of someone like Spielberg it does stand out more when he doesn’t nail it. He also said he lost some enthusiasm whilst filming and I think it shows. But I agree on the characters, the new additions were bland.

• Paid Members

True Romance was my pick for this month's trip to the local small-screen cinema. Never seen it before and had a blast with it for the most part. It's very written by Quentin Tarantino both complimentary (memorable characters & funny dialogue) and derogatory (bafflingly racist at points) but the movie is just jam-packed full of different guys you love to see. Dennis Hopper, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, Samuel L. Jackson, and James Gandolfini all pop in for a cup of coffee as well as Val Kilmer (who I didn't clock until the credits) playing an imaginary Elvis Presley.

Only seen Christian Slater & Patricia Arquette in a couple of things before this but they're both fantastic fun. I've only seen a couple of Tony Scott movies before this (Top Gun and The Taking of Pelham 123) and I really need to get on watching a bunch more because it's always a great time.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Only seen Christian Slater & Patricia Arquette in a couple of things before this but they're both fantastic fun. I've only seen a couple of Tony Scott movies before this (Top Gun and The Taking of Pelham 123) and I really need to get on watching a bunch more because it's always a great time.

They're pretty much all a good time. Tony Scott is hugely missed.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Enemy Of The State is so much fun, and quite a mad cast.

I have a real soft spot for The Fan too, and thats now getting rewatched for the sports film thread.

I forgot all about The Fan. I saw that, oddly, in a cinema in Norway. I don’t remember it getting a cinema release here, I did remember it getting a vhs release though and I’m surprised it never gets discussed considering the cast.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I forgot all about The Fan. I saw that, oddly, in a cinema in Norway. I don’t remember it getting a cinema release here, I did remember it getting a vhs release though and I’m surprised it never gets discussed considering the cast.

I've got The Fan on VHS upstairs. I always remember I have it because it's in one of those annoying larger box tape cases that stick out like a sore thumb as they don't fit in neatly in a row like the rest. 

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

True Romance was my pick for this month's trip to the local small-screen cinema. Never seen it before and had a blast with it for the most part. It's very written by Quentin Tarantino both complimentary (memorable characters & funny dialogue) and derogatory (bafflingly racist at points) but the movie is just jam-packed full of different guys you love to see. Dennis Hopper, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, Samuel L. Jackson, and James Gandolfini all pop in for a cup of coffee as well as Val Kilmer (who I didn't clock until the credits) playing an imaginary Elvis Presley.

The 2-handed scene between Hopper & Walken is probably my favourite "acting" scene in all the films I've seen.

I was so obsessed with True Romance when it came out (I was 20).

Are they still only allowed to show the BBFC version? Patricia Arquette should shoot & kill one of the cops in the final shoot-out.

The BBFC insisted the scene was re-cut so that the cop was killed by one of the gangsters.

I didn't find this out until I got a pirated directors cut VHS from a dodgy looking bloke selling out of a doorway on the prom in Blackpool.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

Are they still only allowed to show the BBFC version? Patricia Arquette should shoot & kill one of the cops in the final shoot-out.

The BBFC insisted the scene was re-cut so that the cop was killed by one of the gangsters.

Oh interesting! I'm not sure what specific version we watched, they're usually running off blu-rays, but that scene was defintiely the BBFC cut where one of the gangsters takes him out. Just watched the original cut of that scene on youtube and it's definitely a better moment.

• Paid Members

I looked it up and True Romance was actually cut by the MPAA to get an R rating including Alabama not taking the shot.

The BBFC then cut it a further 3 seconds when Alabama is thrown through a window. The uncut/directors cut version was later released Uncut in 1999 by both the BBFC and unrated in the US.