VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Napoleon (cinema)

Perfectly fine. A good dad film. Absolutely not interested in anybody's feelings about historical accuracy. Vanessa Kirby is one of the best actors in the world. I hope Apple are furious about where their $200 million went. 

• Moderators

I watched Office Christmas Party last night. Nothing amazing, but was exactly what I wanted /expected of it (and definitely way too good for bacon's thread).

First Christmas movie to get me in the festive spirit and it did the job. Was less predictable than I thought it would be, even if the broad strokes are exactly what you think they will be from the first 20mins setup. Loads of familiar faces and good performances to lift it up overall. 

• Paid Members

The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!

Just as good as the first one if not slightly better paced with more exciting action. Splitting the group up works out for the best because as with the first film Frodo is the worst part about it and sticking Gollum with him as well means both of the worst characters stay in one segment. The draw here is Gimli Son of Gloin, more of him please.

The Battle of Helm's Deep and the charge of the Ents into Isengard in the same film is spoiling us, and that opening with Gandalf fighting the Balrog mid-air is insane. Actually yeah this one is much better than the first one.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

The Battle of Helm's Deep and the charge of the Ents into Isengard in the same film is spoiling us, and that opening with Gandalf fighting the Balrog mid-air is insane. Actually yeah this one is much better than the first one.

I've always had a soft spot for the first one. I think just the magic of everything for the first time holds something special for me. But yeah the amount of stuff that goes on in the second one is ridiculous really. Always annoys me that the third was the one that won the awards because it definitely isn't the best one. Always felt like a "shit we better recognise them now as its all over" moment.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Devon Malcolm you’ll be pleased to know that I went to see Disney’s latest Wish today and thought it was absolute bobbins for the most part.

Why would that please me? I don't know want you to waste money on a crap film!

On 11/17/2023 at 8:35 PM, Mr_Danger said:

I was pretty obsessed with turning me nans old broom handles in to samurai swords for while there back in the 90’s.

Ha, my son was watching the end of Sing 2 with the dance/sword fight show down and told me “We should do this with brooms or something.” Turns out Sing 2 is this generations Blind Fury.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why would that please me? I don't know want you to waste money on a crap film!

It was more the further decline of Disney.  It’s barely going to be in the top 3 films at the box office this weekend, but I have an unlimited card so it was a free cinema trip.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It was more the further decline of Disney.  It’s barely going to be in the top 3 films at the box office this weekend

Well I'm pleased about *that* obvs.

I watched Possessor Uncut last night and it's one I'll likely never go back to but it was sure as hell a Cronenberg experience, it felt like Brandon wanted to make daddy proud by going even further than him on his debut full length motion picture. I loved the premise and the mental and body horror that comes with possessing another human, and it's always good to see Jennifer Jason Leigh but fuck me is it violent, could see it being too much for some with one scene in particular.

There's a fair few penis jump scares, too.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I've always had a soft spot for the first one. I think just the magic of everything for the first time holds something special for me. But yeah the amount of stuff that goes on in the second one is ridiculous really. Always annoys me that the third was the one that won the awards because it definitely isn't the best one. Always felt like a "shit we better recognise them now as its all over" moment.

Recently, I've begun to think about this differently, after seeing so many series/franchises flunk the landing. Until it's actually done, it's all just promise, no matter how good it is. Fellowship is a great first part rather than a great story. Two Towers is setting up the conclusion.

Sure, they're great on their own, and I do get that argument. But without a conclusion, they also have an easier job in some ways than something that has a full beginning, middle and end. 

I think it was entirely justified to wait and see how the trilogy panned out before the awards came out. While ROTK is the weakest of the three, by some way, it was satisfying enough that it delivered on the promise the first two made.