VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

So I watched the Kevin Smith film Tusk earlier, having somehow never heard about it on release (it's on Amazon Prime now) nearly a decade ago. That was...something. I can't decide whether I think it was good or not, it was certainly weird and I am usually pretty happy to gravitate towards unusual stories, but that was...maybe too weird.  

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's done some rather interesting stuff. Red State had its moments, and I'm fascinated to see whether Moose Jaws ever actually ends up getting made to complete the True North trilogy with Tusk & Yoga Hosers. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yeah, he's done some rather interesting stuff. Red State had its moments, and I'm fascinated to see whether Moose Jaws ever actually ends up getting made to complete the True North trilogy with Tusk & Yoga Hosers. 

Is Yoga Hosers worth tracking down? Having read it has some connective tissue with Tusk, I'm vaguely interested to see where it goes. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Is Yoga Hosers worth tracking down? Having read it has some connective tissue with Tusk, I'm vaguely interested to see where it goes. 

No idea. If you like Kevin Smith's stuff I'd imagine you'd like it. 

• Paid Members

No Yoga Hosers is pretty much the bottom of the Smith barrel. I like his stuff by and large. Particularly Tusk which I think is drastically underrated. Yoga Hosers is complete mess, mildly entertaining and very very silly. He's said it's an ode to Full Moon studios and I can sort of see it. But over all I'd say most people would find it both painful and annoying. Probably only Cop Out is worse and only Clerks 3 is less funny.

• Paid Members

South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut was showing at my local odeon for an anniversary screening or something. I've probably seen it 15 times but not for 15 years. I nearly cancelled my ticket cos I thought I couldn't be arsed to watch the old south park movie at the cinema in 2023 but decided I might as well go.

It won me over extremely quickly, it's a brilliant film. I always thought using the less restrictive movie format where they can swear and stuff to tell a story about swearing and outrage was so clever. I absolutely hate the Simpsons movie for being an extended version of everything I don't like about the Simpsons and being boring with nothing to say, the South Park movie is the opposite of that. Also the songs are so memorable and there are so many, it was fun hearing them all loud on the big screen after not hearing them in years. I'm not surprised the Sourh Park guys went on to do a hit Broadway musical because I think most musicals would kill to have a batch of songs as good as the South Park movie.