VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Day Shift

Neither of us could get into it. The action was decent, most the jokes were landing, but whether it was the editing or the directing or whatever, it just felt boring. We both agreed, as Devon has said, that Jamie Foxx is shite but the rest of the cast was fine.

For some reason all the vampires are gymnasts and all land on their chins with their legs behind their heads. It's weird and we both noticed it was happening every time a vampire was in a fight. Snoop Dogg was good when he was in it.

Dunno. It was like mostly all the right ingredients but it just didn't come out the oven right. It was certainly no Blade.

Winnie The Pooh Blood and Honey (Tubi) - late to the party on this one but Jesus it’s utterly dreadful, even by cheesy slasher standards. It was that bad that the unopened BluRay copy I had bought from Amazon a few weeks ago got instantly put up on EBay before I’d even finished watching it. How it got a sequel I don’t know

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Winnie The Pooh Blood and Honey (Tubi) - late to the party on this one but Jesus it’s utterly dreadful, even by cheesy slasher standards. It was that bad that the unopened BluRay copy I had bought from Amazon a few weeks ago got instantly put up on EBay before I’d even finished watching it. How it got a sequel I don’t know

Because it made 77 times its budget back.

• Awards Moderator

The Last Breath (2024)

Shark film! It’s so shit. Really shit. But that’s true of 95% of shark films, so I always adjust my radar when rating them. I enjoyed it.

“What was that? A Dolphin?”

”A Barracuda?”

Yeah, because they’re the same size, aren’t they?

Definitely watch Under Paris if you want to finally watch a recent, brilliant shark film, but if you want mind-numbing nonsense that’s somehow engaging, this is your boy.

Plus, it was co-written by Nick Saltrese who chipped in on Brookside and featured Julian Sands, who is great but also dead.

3.5 stars.

Twisters (2024)

Brilliant! Exactly what I expected and then some. Just predictable, daft fun. It throws in the usual romance subplot but if you want to turn your brain off for a bit then this is for you. The smug bloke from Top Gun 2 is somehow even more smug at the start, but it works well.

It was also great to see Maura Tierney at nearly sixty, stealing her scenes and not having her face pumped full of shite.

Knock on the Cabin (2023)

Weird. It was good and well paced, but big Dave looked like his face had slept in a carrier bag in Alicante and the two protagonists were very unlikable; the young girl was very good. It was like something produced by WWE when they saw Kane as an actor. Decent enough, wouldn’t watch it again.

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024)

Film of the year so far, for me. Watched it the other week, and we loved it. My heart was banging out of my chest but that may have been to do with the cat. I don’t want to put any spoilers in here, but oh my god the cat.

I was cautious going into it as there was no Krasinski or Blunt, but the staging of it and the characters’ interaction as it went on was brilliant. Very, very good. Because of the cat.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Knock on the Cabin (2023)

It was like something produced by WWE 

Decent enough

Surely these two things cannot both be true? I have watched a lot of the films they've made and I don't think any of them have met the bar of 'decent'.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Bottoms

No idea what this was meant to be. Felt like it was trying to be Superbad at first but then it stops trying that and tries to be Napoleon Dynamite but then gives up on that and has a little Mean Girls going on and also stops bothering with that and then they just go mental for the last half. It’s trying to do so much at once and it’s pretty rubbish at all of them because it never commits. A few jokes landed but there was so little structure and every character was so paper thin that we didn’t really care about any of it.

At one point one lass shoves another a bit and the teacher is like woah we need to stop this but then there’s literal bombings and murders and nobody bats an eye at any of it. 

We paused it at one point and only an hour had passed and we both went “fucking hell”. 

A shame because we both went in with high expectations but both thought it was shite.

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024)

Film of the year so far, for me. Watched it the other week, and we loved it. My heart was banging out of my chest but that may have been to do with the cat. I don’t want to put any spoilers in here, but oh my god the cat.

I was cautious going into it as there was no Krasinski or Blunt, but the staging of it and the characters’ interaction as it went on was brilliant. Very, very good. Because of the cat.

He was an excellent cat. Really enjoyed the film generally, but yes, that cat.

Spoiler

His final scene where he’s all snuggled in and he’s okay … my heart!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Hard Boiled really is still the greatest ever action film, isn't it? There are many that I love just as much both old and new from all over the world but I don't know if I could truly say that any are actually better.

Is there some kind of licensing issue with this or anything as there is no bluray release here outside of an awful VHS rip looking thing that came with Stranglehold on the PS3, The Killer seems to be in a similar situation but I've luckily got a rip of the bootleg Hong Kong Rescue versions of both films. I wouldn't buy either though as the guy's a scammer.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Hard Boiled really is still the greatest ever action film, isn't it? There are many that I love just as much both old and new from all over the world but I don't know if I could truly say that any are actually better.

Yeah, as far as pure action goes there's been nothing better since and there wasn't anything before. It felt like John Woo's career had been building up to that film.

When I first saw it 1993, it was a game-changer for me. I genuinely didn't know they could make films like that. Opened up a whole new world of cinema for me and while I've rarely seen anything better from any genre since, it's one of the most important films I've ever seen.

• Paid Members

I watched Weird: The Al Yankovic Story on Prime last night. It was an amusing enough distraction. Sends up all those music biopics. Daniel Radcliffe puts in a good turn. Doesn't take itself too seriously, but has "serious" actors in a lot of the other roles so it has a bit of that Leslie Nielsen in Airplan going on with it. Definite nod to the early Zucker stuff. If you like Weird Al it's worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Booksmart

The Superbad style coming of age comedy that Bottoms failed to be and probably the best of that genre since; even if it’s not as wild and doesn’t quite reach the highs that Superbad did. It’s consistently good from start to finish though.
Very funny, goofy, and touching with pretty much everything you’d want from this type of film. Like Superbad did, it compliments the (at the time) newcomer cast with some big names in secondary roles. Highly recommended.

• Awards Moderator

Blur: To The End

Obviously, you’ll only like this if you’re a fan of Blur, but my word this is gorgeous. Watching a load of middle-aged men get back together for a new album and long-awaited Wembley gigs could have gone off a cliff, but this is really well produced and dips in and out of their near 40-year relationship.

Each band member exposes their own frailties and anxieties making them very endearing, and even the big Tory cheese nonce comes across alright. I worry that he and Albarn aren’t long for this world given their vices and apparent mental health issues, but this is such a good watch to see them get back together, bang out a brilliant album and fulfil a dream of playing the big one.

Very emotional in parts and the end of it suggests it is the end. 

One of the best music documentaries I’ve seen.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I watched Weird: The Al Yankovic Story on Prime last night. It was an amusing enough distraction. Sends up all those music biopics. Daniel Radcliffe puts in a good turn. Doesn't take itself too seriously, but has "serious" actors in a lot of the other roles so it has a bit of that Leslie Nielsen in Airplan going on with it. Definite nod to the early Zucker stuff. If you like Weird Al it's worth a watch.

I really enjoyed it but I thought it was a game of two halves. Everything that was spoofing the stories of musicians' success was gangbangers, but I felt it started to drag when it very notably shifted to sending up a different genre.

• Paid Members

I thought it was really good but my main takeaway from it has been that it made me fancy Evan Rachel Wood and Madonna a lot more.