WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

As soon as the mould monsters arrive the game falls off a cliff, Resident Evil 8 though I feel is fantastic.

Yeah that was about the point I lost all fear of it too. By the point I was torching bugs I may as well have been playing anything. Then the bit on the boat at the end I just wanted the game to be done.

• Paid Members

Picked up Double Dragon Gaiden on sale. Fascinating game. It has some roguelike elements, a nice sliding difficulty. The maximum difficulty is a little too much, or was for my first try, but the bottom was too easy and I managed to finish my first run on that difficulty.

You get to pick which mission you do from the four available. That mission then has one stage, the next one you choose has two stages, and the enemies are tougher, and so on. You earn money as the game progresses, and at the end of each stage buy power ups. At the end of the game, you can either use some of the money you earned to have a continue, or cash out and buy tokens. The tokens are used to unlock extra characters, artwork and music from the token shop.

There are no "permanent" upgrades, but I guess once you find the right difficulty and combination of characters to give yourself the right challenge it'll be a lot more fun and rewarding. Each stage is pretty short, and you can probably get the whole thing done in about a hour. It plays the way I imagine Comabtribes would play. That needs an Arcade Archives release. 

There's also a tag mechanic if you're playing solo. You pick your team, and as you take damage you have some blue, recoverable health. If your special/tag meter is full (and it doesn't take long to fill it) you can tap the left bumper and the other character will tag in while your blue health recovers. You can also use the tag mechanic to extend combos and other fancy things. It's an interesting feature. 

If you're a big fan of Double Dragon, and/or beat em ups it might be worth picking up, but I'd say wait for a sale as I don't think it's worth £20.

Apparently a new update/DLC for Shredder's revenge has released as well. I haven't checked that out yet. 

• Moderators

Been getting stuck in to playing sf6 online as my mate I play with is on holiday. Have settled on sticking with Guile for the time being. Really enjoying trying to get a bit deeper on one character and I think it's definitely helping that I've picked someone relatively simple, but still a lot of fun to play.

Also developing good discipline for charging which will carry over to other chargers, and patience which really seems to reward Guile but clearly will be useful for any character.

Haven't started using drive rush at all yet, so that's the next thing I need to start getting my head around. 

• Paid Members

Space Marine 2 didn't fix what wasn't broken. It's more of the same glorious brutality, I loved it. The sense of scale is crazy, you've got hundreds and hundreds of aliens ready to swarm and you just smile knowing that in a few minutes they're all going to be jam! It could have have done with some turret/vehicle bits for variety, but I have no other complaints, I had fun the whole way through. I hope there's not a 13 year wait for a sequel this time!

Killzone 1 is as ass as its reputation suggests. I was always curious about it and wanted to try it before I get round to playing 2 and 3 again. "Luckily" it was one of the few games priced reasonably on the PS3 online store (it's sort of dead, so everything's forever locked at whatever the last sale price was). Mechanically and visually it's so dull and lifeless, even audio-wise, there's some superb tracks during cutscenes but during gameplay there's nothing. There's no sense of weight, it has maybe the wankest shotgun I've ever used. I just stuck playing as Rico for most of the game because at least his chain-gun was mildly pleasing to use. I was prepared for it being an average game, but as a fan of the later lore of the universe (the Helghast are right!) I'd hoped to at least get something good out of this on that front, but again there's just nothing there. Don't ever bother playing this. Do watch the opening cutscene though, Brian Cox rules (and he's never seen or heard from again in this entry).

I'm a few hours into X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The frame-rate gets absolutely brutal at points and like Arkham Asylum I'm going to get sick to death of having that same fight with that same big brute enemy type over and over again, but otherwise I can't hate on a good God of War clone, especially one that swaps out Kratos for Wolverine, and lets him commit the laugh out loud violence a man with claws should always be dishing out. This ain't your momma's Wolverine. I hope Insomniac have took notes.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Is anyone else playing Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom? It might actually beat Astrobot in the coveted race to become my Game of the Year - I wasn’t at all expecting a game as creative, innovative and fun to come out this late in the Switch’d lifespan. I’m putting it out there - this pisses all over Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. It’s just sensational.

11 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

Is anyone else playing Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom? It might actually beat Astrobot in the coveted race to become my Game of the Year - I wasn’t at all expecting a game as creative, innovative and fun to come out this late in the Switch’d lifespan. I’m putting it out there - this pisses all over Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. It’s just sensational.

That’s some praise. Crikey. I haven’t seen any gameplay for it yet. Is it just a traditional Legend Of Zelda rpg/adventure game, with the lead swapped? Or is there more to it than that?

I’ve been playing Assassin’s Creed Mirage to kill time before Dragon Age comes out. It’s very frustrating. The lead character is as bland as they come. For the previous two games, I chose Kassandra and the female version of Eivor and the voice actors and characters for both were far more interesting than the berk in Mirage. There’s some truly appalling dialogue and dead eyed characters aplenty. Probably serves me right for playing an Ubisoft game and expecting anything more than their usual stuff.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

That’s some praise. Crikey. I haven’t seen any gameplay for it yet. Is it just a traditional Legend Of Zelda rpg/adventure game, with the lead swapped? Or is there more to it than that?

There’s more to it than that. Zelda plays differently from Link for one, and there’s a really cool mechanic that allows you to copy items in the game world and use them to solve puzzles - for example, you could conjure up a spider enemy to use its web for rope, or create a staircase of beds. To reach a higher point. It’s a really fun mechanic. I guess it’s like a 2D Zelda game, crossed with BOTW - with a new lead character who plays differently than Link. I’m having loads of fun with it, it’s constantly surprising me.

• Awards Moderator
On 9/25/2024 at 11:43 AM, Jazzy G said:

Picked up Double Dragon Gaiden on sale. Fascinating game. It has some roguelike elements, a nice sliding difficulty. The maximum difficulty is a little too much, or was for my first try, but the bottom was too easy and I managed to finish my first run on that difficulty.

You get to pick which mission you do from the four available. That mission then has one stage, the next one you choose has two stages, and the enemies are tougher, and so on. You earn money as the game progresses, and at the end of each stage buy power ups. At the end of the game, you can either use some of the money you earned to have a continue, or cash out and buy tokens. The tokens are used to unlock extra characters, artwork and music from the token shop.

There are no "permanent" upgrades, but I guess once you find the right difficulty and combination of characters to give yourself the right challenge it'll be a lot more fun and rewarding. Each stage is pretty short, and you can probably get the whole thing done in about a hour. It plays the way I imagine Comabtribes would play. That needs an Arcade Archives release. 

There's also a tag mechanic if you're playing solo. You pick your team, and as you take damage you have some blue, recoverable health. If your special/tag meter is full (and it doesn't take long to fill it) you can tap the left bumper and the other character will tag in while your blue health recovers. You can also use the tag mechanic to extend combos and other fancy things. It's an interesting feature. 

If you're a big fan of Double Dragon, and/or beat em ups it might be worth picking up, but I'd say wait for a sale as I don't think it's worth £20.

Apparently a new update/DLC for Shredder's revenge has released as well. I haven't checked that out yet. 

I picked this up cheap today. Maybe it's just a PS4 thing but I thought it played like shit! Real spongy movement, jerky scrolling and an overall lack of responsiveness. No depth to the combat either through a lack of moves, which means when you get to a boss it's endless button pounding to compensate for what you can't do. And why are the loading screens so slow?