WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Thanks for putting these games on my radar, they look like something I'd enjoy.

We've made them sound pretty chill but boy can they be tough when you're trying to deliver a huge amount of logs through mud only to have them all fall off the back... then you go bring another truck with a crane to try getting them back up. Multiplayer can be fun as hell though, we've done four players where we all have our own little jobs, I like going in a four wheeler and just scouting through the trees to unlock watchpoints.

Fallout 4 has recent had a next gen update. I only played a bit of it due to time constraints when it came out but I'm getting stuck into it now. I've went pretty deep in terms of side quests, settlement building, exploring and leveling up. I'm on a mission to find every paintbrush in the Commonwealth, and I'm not totally ruling out a gay romantic liaison with that dreamboat Paladin Dance. It doesn't count if it's in a game, right? 

Spoiler -

Spoiler

I eventually caught up with that bastard Kellogg, the sick son of a bitch that killed my wife and took my boy. I chose the most hostile options in terms of speech choices, and when discussing it afterwards I made a point of choosing the most bitter and resentful remarks, to the detriment of the blossoming relationship with my hunky steel clad pal. I set fire to him, and used low damage munitions to prolong the suffering before finishing him off by hand with my Chinese Officers Sword. After the deed was done I smashed his head in and chopped off his legs, before putting his torso down the toilet and his limbs in the garbage. I had a frock in my inventory. I couldnt actually put what was left of his pathetic remains in it, but it's on his possession in the event his body's ever fished out the shitter. 

Later I discovered that he'd had a rough childhood and had reservations about the job. Whilst I'm still investigating the mystery, indications are that he wasn't badly motivated towards my absent son. Perhaps I overreacted. I might go back later and leave him somewhere more dignified, or at least take the dress away. I'll await confirmation that he wasn't a complete bastard. 

• Paid Members

I started playing Puyo Puyo Tetris on Steam. I'm not sure this really works. Separately they are both obviously great games but combined they just don't seem like a good fit. Can't see myself playing this for long or buying the sequel. The voice work is surprisingly great though for a puzzle game.

• Paid Members

I picked up Rogue Legacy 2 yesterday. I praised the original earlier in the thread, and this is so far as good. Very pick up and play, and very easy to get caught thinking "ooh just one more run" and then it's 2AM. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I started playing Puyo Puyo Tetris on Steam. I'm not sure this really works. Separately they are both obviously great games but combined they just don't seem like a good fit. Can't see myself playing this for long or buying the sequel. The voice work is surprisingly great though for a puzzle game.

I picked it up on sale in Switch. I'm not great at the Puyo Puyo, but I do enjoy the Tetris stuff. I hear the second one is better and has more characters and modes. The tutorial would have been better to me if it'd actually let you do the stuff rather than just explaining it. 

I'll see whether the se ond one gets a big discount and maybe pick that up. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

I picked it up on sale in Switch. I'm not great at the Puyo Puyo, but I do enjoy the Tetris stuff. I hear the second one is better and has more characters and modes. The tutorial would have been better to me if it'd actually let you do the stuff rather than just explaining it. 

I'll see whether the se ond one gets a big discount and maybe pick that up. 

Trying to get 3 star passes on even the earlier battles is really hard, too, and I've been playing Tetris for donkeys' years. An odd game.

• Paid Members

I'm partway through the 4th chapter. I've managed to 3 star the bulk of the Tetris stuff so far, but I'm hopeless at the Puyo Puyo bits. One of the levels I've failed is a swap battle where you have to be absolutely perfect with every move otherwise you get hammered. I mostly just do the challenge modes now. Endurance Big Bang is a handy way to grind for coins. 

• Paid Members

I've definitely reached that age where I tend to revert back to older titles. Not been a great deal released in the past year (Elden Ring DLC excluded) which has captured me. GTA San Andreas remake was on PS Plus so chugging through that - just the best. I even managed to do Zero's second mission on the first try!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I've definitely reached that age where I tend to revert back to older titles. Not been a great deal released in the past year (Elden Ring DLC excluded) which has captured me. GTA San Andreas remake was on PS Plus so chugging through that - just the best. I even managed to do Zero's second mission on the first try!

I play it every Christmas. I did Zero's first go this time round and cruised through Chiliad Challenge, too. The first time I've ever felt like I might be good at this game.

8 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I'm partway through the 4th chapter. I've managed to 3 star the bulk of the Tetris stuff so far, but I'm hopeless at the Puyo Puyo bits. One of the levels I've failed is a swap battle where you have to be absolutely perfect with every move otherwise you get hammered. I mostly just do the challenge modes now. Endurance Big Bang is a handy way to grind for coins. 

I don't understand the challenge modes at all. They don't explain what they are or what the purpose is of what you're doing. I'll probably finish the main chapters and then leave it.

• Paid Members

I usually just play sprint or big bang. I did see Puyo Puyo Champions is £1.59 at the moment and has a much more comprehensive tutorial along with some exercises to help better put the theories into practice. 

• Paid Members

Finally started playing Inside today. As a massive lover of Limbo, I'm so delighted this has many of the same game mechanics but the use of backgrounds is a wonderful addition that makes it even more playable. Nowhere near finished it but I already can't wait to start it again.

Also started Zombie Rollers, which is like a roguelike pinball game. Quite good fun so far and a better execution of these sorts of ideas than Peglin.

Tried playing OlliOlli. Could not fucking do it AT ALL and gave up after a few goes. £1.09 wasted!

• Paid Members

I finished Two Point Campus' DLC, and had a crack at Challenge mode, but was kind of bored of the whole shebang by that point, so I've shelved that one. I've also given up on Legend of Mana - it's nice, but there being no real storyline to speak of means I'm not getting much out of constant back-tracking and fetch quests that are impossible to figure out without a walkthrough.

I finished Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack The Ripper last night. The Holmes games are frustrating and janky, but have their moments, though I'm not sure this one had many. I think I'd prefer it as a bit more of a conventional point-and-click with more focus on actual detective work, and maybe an interrogation mechanic, because so many of the puzzles are ridiculously obtuse, and feel crowbarred in. There's also no real learning curve - there are puzzles early on that I found absolutely impossible to figure out, and then the last puzzle you have to complete is a pretty straightforward word cipher. All the complicated puzzles, janky animation and terrible voice acting is made so much weirder when you stop and think that this is all dealing with real murders, and that almost every character you interact with was a real person. I was hoping they'd go a bit bonkers with the big reveal, but they play it pretty safe and sensible, though the ending is still a bit of a cop-out. 

After that, I started playing Sam & Max Hit The Road. I don't think I've played it since the '90s, so remember very little of it beyond general vibes, and my first impression was just how absolutely gorgeous it is for a game made in the early '90s. The humour is very much of its time, but still holds up in a kind of nostalgic and hokey way. 

Most of my time has been on Monster Hunter Rise since it came on PS Plus. The only game in the series I'd played before was Monster Hunter Tri, on the Wii, and I don't remember a lot of it, though a lot of the game so far has felt familiar. I'm not really a multiplayer guy, so I'm going it solo, when I get the impression a lot of the appeal of these games is online multiplayer. You get a ton of gameplay mechanics and strategies flung at you early doors, but so far I'm doing well enough just by sticking to the long sword as my weapon of choice and grinding enough to upgrade my armour and weapons all the time. 

• Paid Members

Started playing Human Fall Flat yesterday and I really like it. Tremendous use of physics and the design is really good too. I haven't reached the point where I'm wandering around for 2 hours wondering what I do next though so I may revise this review soon.