WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

31 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What are we expecting from the game, is it going to be set in the same Ganon-essence filled Hyrule or somewhere else? The footage they've shown so far suggests the former with a bit of a twist to it, but I hope it's somewhere different. I love exploring new places in Zelda games. I'd love them to have proper traditional dungeons too, as much as I enjoyed the shrines.

I'm expecting a Majora's Mask, to BOTW's Ocarina of Time. I think it kind of has to be, to avoid, as you've suggested, it feeling repetitive. 

• Paid Members

Enjoying Spider-Man (PS4) at the moment but it's not quite as amazing as I'd heard. I feel like I'd seen everything the game had to offer about 3 hours in. Luckily the fighting and swinging mechanics are fun enough that I don't mind too much.

I do find these open-world games just overwhelming in terms of missions, sidequests, collectables etc that just get thrown at you. Is there anything recent on Playstation that's quite linear and doesn't rely on skill-tree bollocks and all that shite? I'm more into platformers/action games than anything else.

9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Is the new Pokemon good good or good because it's different to the norm?

Going by gameplay videos it doesn't look particularly special but it seems to be well regarded so far.

I'm really enjoying it. It's the perfect game to play while watching something, or listening to a podcast and I really like the gameplay. I actually completed the main story last night, and the amount of post-game content is substantial. I can't imagine I won't be completing that Pokedex. For me, it's in contention to be the best Pokemon game ever. 

A word of warning, though. If you are a completionist, you can't actually catch every Pokemon unless you have a save file from Pokemon Sword orShield and a Pokemon Diamond or Pearl remake. I do, but I can imagine being seriously frustrated had I found this out late on, and I didn't own these games. 

• Paid Members

I've been handed-down a 2DS from the sister-in-law. Anyone got recommendations for smaller, lesser-known platformers and the like? It's come with the usual Mario and Zelda heavy hitters pre-installed which is great but I'd still like to play around with some other Nintendo exclusives (or anything that isn't already available on the VITA).

Edited by Accident Prone

5 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I've been handed-down a 2DS from the sister-in-law. Anyone got recommendations for smaller, lesser-known platformers and the like? It's come with the usual Mario and Zelda heavy hitters pre-installed which is great but I'd still like to play around with some other Nintendo exclusives (or anything that isn't already available on the VITA).

Henry Hatsworth might be worth a look. It's a platformer on the top screen, then enemies you defeat send power-ups (and sometimes their own ghosts) to a "match three" puzzle game on the bottom screen. Way easier to get the hang of (and much less inconvenient) than it sounds!

25 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I've been handed-down a 2DS from the sister-in-law. Anyone got recommendations for smaller, lesser-known platformers and the like?

If you didn't have a DS then don't forget it's backward compatible with that. Lots of great games from that alone. Soul Bubbles isn't a platformer but a hidden gem I'd recommend nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Here are a few of my favourites: 

Boxboy - It's a download-only puzzle platformer, published by Nintendo, with 150 levels (and 40 challenge stages). And it costs less than £5. Honestly, I can't recommend this one enough, it's loads of fun; and it's by the studio behind Kirby and Smash Bros. 

Pullblox and Fallblox - Two more download-only puzzle platformers, this time by the people behind Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. In Pullblox, you have a flat design, made up of blocks, and you have to pull them out in order to rescue a creature up at the top. It's a simple idea, but it's genuinely challenging. In Fallblox, it's a similar idea, except gravity exists. And it's bloody hard. But fuck me, it's great. 

Kirby Planet Robobot - One of the best Kirby games ever, in my book. It's Kirby, but you (sometimes) have robot armour. And it's great. It's pretty easy, but it's super creative. There's a lot of fun to be had with this one. 

Metroid: Samus Returns - This is actually really expensive to get hold of these days, so your best bet might be to purchase the download version (I've linked to it). This is a reimagining of the Gameboy version of Metroid, and they've done an excellent job with it. I actually preferred it to Metroid Dread, although I fully accept I'm in the minority with that viewpoint. 

HarmoKnight - Another download-only game. A rhythm platformer by Pokemon developers Gamefreak. If you don't like rhythm games, this won't be for you. If you do, or you're open to the idea, you'll have a great time. 

Pocket Card Jockey - Not a platformer, but a hidden gem nonetheless. It's a cross between horse racing and...solitaire...? It's a better fit than it might sound, and it's easy to sink hours into this download-only game. A free demo is available, and saves can be transferred over, so it's worth giving that a go to see if it might be for you.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

In case you can't find some games.. https://3ds.hacks.guide/

• Paid Members

Cheers lads, I'll defimnitleyt be taking a look at those! Right up my alley, the lot of them. Samus Returns is already installed which is a win.

47 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

In case you can't find some games.. https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Oh, Merz. You know me all too well! That's my evening sorted then...

I'd say I prefer Prey to Dishonored, coming from the same developers but both are masterclasses in how to craft a game world with so, so many ways to traverse it and meet it's challenges. I just wish they'd be given the Thief IP to play with as the reboot of that was pretty poor.