WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

8 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Dave Grohl? Is that you?

I noticed that I actually own Huntdown on the Switch already. I must have bought it in a sale and forgot. I will need to get on that based on the comments in this thread. 

Huntdown is so good 

The forthcoming Halloween and Evil dead look to be using the same engine which makes my willy dribble slightly 

1 hour ago, Version1.0 said:

Astro Bot... it's just so good.

I’m at the point where I know I’m going to finish it soon, and I don’t want to. I really, really hope they release DLC and release it quickly. I feel like I’ve been waiting for Spider-Man 2 DLC forever, to the point I’m not entirely sure it’s coming. I don’t want to wait that long for more Astro Bot content!! 

• Paid Members

Despite never having any interest in the brand otherwise, I really enjoyed Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. It only came on my radar recently because of the hype over the sequel. It's a good Gears clone, it pretty much is Gears, just with all the time spent in cover swapped out for steaming into crowds of aliens/cockney Shreks and tearing them apart with giant axes and swords to regain your health. It's money. I'm sorry for ignoring it for 13 years. Got the sequel on the way and Boltgun (this looks more of a good ol' badass Doom clone) added to my Steam wishlist. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

14 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Despite never having any interest in the brand otherwise, I really enjoyed Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. It only came on my radar recently because of the hype over the sequel. It's a good Gears clone, it pretty much is Gears, just with all the time spent in cover swapped out for steaming into crowds of aliens/cockney Shreks and tearing them apart with giant axes and swords to regain your health. It's money. I'm sorry for ignoring it for 13 years. Got the sequel on the way and Boltgun (this looks more of a good ol' badass Doom clone) added to my Steam wishlist. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Don't overlook Necromunda: Hired Gun either, I don't quite get why it reviewed so badly as it's a stupidly fun clone of Doom 2016 set in the 40K Underhive. Sure it's buggy but all good EuroJank is, definitely a kind of game that'd be adored back when everything didn't seemingly have to be AAA.

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Don't overlook Necromunda: Hired Gun either, I don't quite get why it reviewed so badly as it's a stupidly fun clone of Doom 2016 set in the 40K Underhive. Sure it's buggy but all good EuroJank is, definitely a kind of game that'd be adored back when everything didn't seemingly have to be AAA.

GW licensing is so all over the place. They went from basically forcing a company to make a licensed game due to copyright infringement and not letting much go out to licensing to anyone who displays a mild interest. It's meant that there's a lot of very bad games out there but you can find some decent stuff out there. They won't be the AAA titles but that's fine, something like Battlesector won't be winning awards but (on sale especially because at £30+ then DLC I understand being a lot more hesitant!) it's a decent enough turn based strategy game. I was the same with Hired Gun, a bit of jank and not perfect by any means but it was a perfectly enjoyable game I thought. For the record at the moment it's on sale down to about £7 so worth a spin if someone wanted to give it a go.

2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Really wanna get Astro Bot, is it a short game though? 

You could probably rush through the whole thing relatively quickly, but I don’t imagine you’d want to. I’m going on a 100% run because I’m loving it that much, and I’m 19-hours in and I’m close-ish to completion. To be honest, shorter games suit me down to the ground these days, but this is one I don’t want to end. I imagine I’ll be doing a second play-through sooner rather than later. If it wasn’t for Zelda being on the horizon, I’d be replaying it immediately. It’s brilliant.

• Paid Members

I played the first world of Astro Bot round a mate’s house (it’s fantastic btw) and without looking for all the secrets it took maybe 90 minutes or so. You don’t want a platformer to be RPG length though. You want it to be fun, creative and not overstay it’s welcome and this manages all of those.

3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Really wanna get Astro Bot, is it a short game though? 

There’s so much I’ve wanted to play recently that I’ve just not bothered with at release like Wukong and Stellar Blade.

So what did I buy on Thursday? The Marvel Vs Capcom Collection

What....I never knew it was out yet. Thanks for this! Gonna go and buy it!

• Paid Members

Astro Bot is fucking brilliant. Just a complete joy to play through. The type of game I catch myself trying to slow down with because I don’t want it to end. Thankfully, my four year old daughter is constantly grabbing the controller off me, and she’s absolutely shit at it, so that should keep us going a bit longer.

Edited by Supremo

4 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Astro Bot platinum trophy done. Fantastic game. But now it’s given me the urge to play some PS games that I’ve never played before, like Ape Escape, Parappa The Rapper and Killzone. 

Ape Escape is brilliant, even if it does show its age a little. Fair play to you for the platinum - I’ve still not been able to get the final bot, that last challenge is rock solid!! I get a step closer each time, but those bloody birds!!  

• Paid Members

I've become obsessed with a little trinket of a game - ODDADA https://store.steampowered.com/app/1627870/ODDADA/

It's a music roguelite - you progress through a series of toys that you manipulate to make loops of sound, then at the end you combine those loops into a roughly 50s track and put it on a cassette that you can decorate. Each run you unlock a new tool that gives you more control (like a metronome that lets you adjust the tempo of each loop).

I played it for 90mins tonight and made three tracks and it's a delightful little thing. Really scratches the itch of 'making music' while giving you enough restrictions that you don't feel overwhelmed by your options. And it's less than a tenner!