WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Broforce is only £2.55, and it’s great fun - particularly in co-op. It’s a fast-paced old school run ‘n’ gun game, and I loved it despite not having much nostalgia for that genre. 

Not a Hero is £3.35. It’s a bit of a weird one to explain as far as the plot goes, but gameplay wise it’s basically a 2D Hotline Miami. I played the absolute shit out of it when it first came out on the PS4, and at that price I’ll be playing the shit out of it again on my Steam Deck. It’s loads of fun.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is, to me, the very definition of an overlooked gem. It’s only £2.99 right now. The game is co-written by Alex Garland (the guy behind Ex Machina, Annihilation and Men) and as a result has a very strong story. I guess it’s essentially a hack ‘n’ slash game, although that description in itself does it a bit of a disservice. It’s also quite short, meaning it’s potentially a great ‘palate cleanser’ between some of the games you’ve already bought. It works great on the Deck, so you’ll have no issues there.

Excellent stuff! Dependable recommendations, as always. I've ditched Halo and Rogue Legacy 2, and opted for Enslaved after that great review. Along with the Orange Box, it pushed the total to £41. Well happy with that, should keep me busy for the rest of the year. Not A Hero has been added to my Steam wish list too, as I've got a softspot for Devolver Digital.

• Paid Members

Hello. Has anyone played Overcooked 2? Is it just me or is it overly difficult? It looks to have be very simple. Depending upon the mode you pick. You'll be playing as a single chef or as a chef and waiter team. The objective being to prepare dishes that are sent out to the restaurant.

I'm finding that the orders come way too quickly and I run out of time. I bet it's a riot as a two player co op.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Hello. Has anyone played Overcooked 2? Is it just me or is it overly difficult? It looks to have be very simple. Depending upon the mode you pick. You'll be playing as a single chef or as a chef and waiter team. The objective being to prepare dishes that are sent out to the restaurant.

I'm finding that the orders come way too quickly and I run out of time. I bet it's a riot as a two player co op.

Overcooked 2 is a lot harder than Overcooked 1 but honestly I wasn’t huge on either of them. There’s a fine line between fun difficult and just annoying difficult and OC just steps right through it early doors. 

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I made the mistake of trying expert on Beat Saber and I'm not sure my arms can even move that fast, let alone in a coordinated manner. And there's an even harder setting too? Madness.

Takes time, but you can get there :) turn off game over, that means you can run through the whole song and not get stuck at the first point of failure.

also, and at risk of the ooc thread, try and use your wrists more than your arms,  makes the quick movement more achievable.

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

It’s a recipe for arguments! I really like it, but I can absolutely see why some people would feel like @FelatioLips does!

@DavidB6937 - You may be aware of this already, but as far as stellar Quest games go (and keeping up the theme of co-op games) - I’d highly recommend Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. It’s a game where you diffuse bombs, with the help of a partner who is not wearing the headset. They have the manual (on a phone or a tablet) and you describe what you see to help them guide you to solve each puzzle, diffusing the bomb in time. It feels a bit like a game from the Crystal maze, it’s really good fun.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Broforce is only £2.55, and it’s great fun - particularly in co-op. It’s a fast-paced old school run ‘n’ gun game, and I loved it despite not having much nostalgia for that genre. 

Not a Hero is £3.35. It’s a bit of a weird one to explain as far as the plot goes, but gameplay wise it’s basically a 2D Hotline Miami. I played the absolute shit out of it when it first came out on the PS4, and at that price I’ll be playing the shit out of it again on my Steam Deck. It’s loads of fun.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is, to me, the very definition of an overlooked gem. It’s only £2.99 right now. The game is co-written by Alex Garland (the guy behind Ex Machina, Annihilation and Men) and as a result has a very strong story. I guess it’s essentially a hack ‘n’ slash game, although that description in itself does it a bit of a disservice. It’s also quite short, meaning it’s potentially a great ‘palate cleanser’ between some of the games you’ve already bought. It works great on the Deck, so you’ll have no issues there.

I've been enjoying Broforce on my Switch. It's a lot of fun, and all the little characters you unlock through the game are well done.

I just saw that old school Japanese train sim Densha De Go! Final has an unofficial English translation now! Luckily someone has ripped the ISO to archive.org, I'd imagine it'd be tough finding an actual CD of it anywhere. There's just something about driving though PS2 era graphics looking Japan with the little station jingles and tannoy.

It even has multiplayer where one person is the conductor and they have to announce the right stations on time.

Edited by Merzbow

I had Final Fantasy 16 for Christmas. I’m enjoying it for the most part, but it doesn’t feel very Final Fantasy to me. I know the days of them being turn based are long gone, but it feels like every other modern action/RPG game. It may change when I get a bit further in, but all of the main characters are similar looking humans. There’s little variety in the party members that previous instalments had. No Red XIII or Kimahri types. It’s made me want to play the original games. I’ve only ever played 6 onwards, so I’m now planning to work my way through them all. I was going to buy them on the Switch, but they’re a little pricey. Luckily I remembered that I have the first 9 games on my iPad. It’s not ideal using the touch screen, so I may still get the Switch versions, or on Steam if they’re cheap enough. 

Hearing Ralph Ineson voice a character is amazing though. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I had Final Fantasy 16 for Christmas. I’m enjoying it for the most part, but it doesn’t feel very Final Fantasy to me. I know the days of them being turn based are long gone, but it feels like every other modern action/RPG game. It may change when I get a bit further in, but all of the main characters are similar looking humans. There’s little variety in the party members that previous instalments had. No Red XIII or Kimahri types. It’s made me want to play the original games. I’ve only ever played 6 onwards, so I’m now planning to work my way through them all. I was going to buy them on the Switch, but they’re a little pricey. Luckily I remembered that I have the first 9 games on my iPad. It’s not ideal using the touch screen, so I may still get the Switch versions, or on Steam if they’re cheap enough. 

Hearing Ralph Ineson voice a character is amazing though. 

16 is a bit odd. Not sure it's a great Final Fantasy game, but it's a great action JRPG. Stick with it.

5 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Got Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Final Bar Line on PS4 (why no PS5?) For Christmas. Wondered if it would play well after the 3DS versions. It's glorious and contains over 400 songs.

I’ve been wavering on this one, based on the fact it becomes a very different game once you take it off the 3DS; given how it controlled there. Clearly you like it, but do you feel you lose anything by not having the touch controls?

2 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I had Final Fantasy 16 for Christmas. I’m enjoying it for the most part, but it doesn’t feel very Final Fantasy to me. I know the days of them being turn based are long gone, but it feels like every other modern action/RPG game.

It’s become my favourite Final Fantasy game ever, the story absolutely hooked me. Funnily enough, it felt more ‘Final Fantasy-like’ to me than any recent entry - you have a great story, a killer soundtrack, characters you care about and a solid dose of weird to go along with that. The battle system didn’t really define Final Fantasy for me - the story and sense of exploration did - and I felt like I had both here. I hope you feel similar to how I do by the time you finish the game!

40 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I hope you feel similar to how I do by the time you finish the game!

So do I. We seem to have similar taste in games, so I’m sure I’ll really get into it eventually. I’m still pretty early into it, just after obtaining some new wind powers. At the moment, none of the characters are clicking with me. Early days though.