Speeding fines (Death to the megathread)

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

Just what I need. 

I've had a letter of prosecution for doing 41mph in a 30mph zone. I have a clean license but I did do a speed awareness course about 10 years ago (setting myself up for ridicule but it was the same spot I've been caught this time) 

Will they offer me another course or am I gonna get fucked with a big fine? I've read something about 100% of a weekly wage fine. 

Any ideas. 

11 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Just what I need. 

I've had a letter of prosecution for doing 41mph in a 30mph zone. I have a clean license but I did do a speed awareness course about 10 years ago (setting myself up for ridicule but it was the same spot I've been caught this time) 

Will they offer me another course or am I gonna get fucked with a big fine? I've read something about 100% of a weekly wage fine. 

Any ideas. 

It's more  than 5 years so you can do the course again. Otherwise it's a 60-100 fine depending your local constabulary's whim. Though the general rule is less than 10mph, 60 notes, More than 10 it's 80 quid More than 15 over you'll get the full whack. If you don't respond within 30 working days it goes to court and they charge you a load of court fees.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I've read something about 100% of a weekly wage fine. 

How can they determine or enforce that? Sounds mental and unrealistic to be honest. You'd surely have to comply to give them your income information, which I highly doubt they can order you to do. The legality of something like that can be challenged easily I would think- i.e. the amount of the fine should be fair, reasonable and the same for all. It's not like it's a tax. 

Edited by PunkStep

It is only 100% of your weekly wage if it is excessive and dangerous speeding. 

@Silky Kisser unfortunately I think you will be getting a £100 fine and three points. I believe the general rule of thumb is you get offered a driving course if your speeding offence is the speed limit plus 20% or less. In your case it is 37%. My wife got caught doing 30 mph in a 20mph zone last year and had a fixed penalty and three points, whereas last week I was caught speeding doing 59 mph in a 50mph zone and I have been offered a speed awareness course. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

How can they determine or enforce that? Sounds mental and unrealistic to be honest. You'd surely have to comply to give them your income information, which I highly doubt they can order you to do. The legality of something like that can be challenged easily I would think- i.e. the amount of the fine should be fair, reasonable and the same for all. It's not like it's a tax. 

I never knew that was something that happened in this country but I've heard of it before and it's a brilliant idea. I can't believe you're against it. Why would it be fair for someone who earns more to pay a proportionately much lower fine?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm not sure if it's 100% of your weekly wage but I know they do take your wages into consideration when giving the fine. When Ant McPartlin got done for drink driving a couple of years ago he was fined £86,000 and the judge said they took into consideration his £130,000 a week wages when calculating the fine.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I never knew that was something that happened in this country but I've heard of it before and it's a brilliant idea. I can't believe you're against it. Why would it be fair for someone who earns more to pay a proportionately much lower fine?

I wouldn't say I'm against it per se, I just fail to see how it could be enforced. I like the idea of it being proportionate so that the rich don't get away with it. Like when Mario Balotelli revealed his glovebox was full of parking fines because he just parked wherever he wanted, and his pocket change could pay for them.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think you'd be eligible for the course given how much you were over the limit based on the 20% rule, but apply for it anyway. I had one last year and it was 38 in a 30 and I was still offered the course and avoided points. Worst they can do is say no and then you're right back to a fine and points. Definitely worth a punt if you're on a clean license. Not sure if it differs by council but I've been done in two areas where it was a fixed fine of about £80 and had nothing to do with weekly earnings. The course was about £85.

• Paid Members

So its saying The majority of people speeding will be classed as committing a 'minor offence' and will still receive a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of a £100 fine and three points on their licence.

Are they taking you to court? if so then the banding of the offence comes into it

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/speeding-fines/

Your right on the level reading that its band B.  4 to 6 points and that rather scary looking fine.

Edited by quote the raven