Speeding fines (Death to the megathread)

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Depending on your circumstances, it would be cheaper to pay the fine and take the points. You'll have to take time off work, so that's either a days leave or days pay you'll lose on top of paying for the course. 

If I get the option of the course I'll take it. Its worth it for the clean license and not having the insurance bumped. Assuming they let me off that easily, the extra money and days leave will be worth it. Hopefully I can learn from it this time. 

• Paid Members

I had a brain spaz last year and went through a red light. No option for an awareness course, so accepted the £100 fine and points.

That coupled with a guy driving into the side of my stationary car and then lying about it to avoid admitting fault means that my insurance has absolutely rocketted this year to the point where I'm not convinced I can afford it.

Clean license is definitely worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 2/28/2020 at 9:49 AM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I had a brain spaz last year and went through a red light. No option for an awareness course, so accepted the £100 fine and points.

Yep, I did this in Chester early last year. I tried to beat the red whilst dealing with Chester's frustrating layout and got caught by a the camera. I never knew traffic light cameras were a thing but that's naivety for you.

It was my first offence so I had the option of paying £100 with three points or taking a 6 hour driver's course. So obviously I took the course, only to find out that I had to pay a £100 fee for my place on the course. Sneaky stuff.

So I thought fuck it, booked the course for a 2pm slot in London, got a cheap train ticket and had a lovely day lounging around the capital before sulking off to a Holiday Inn for the course. I wasn't going to waste a whole day due to this.

The course itself was excruciatingly boring, dull, demeaning and condescending. Set out like a classroom with 6-8 people per table, sat around with pencils and an activity book to fill out as we went along. It was FULL of people in denial about their offenses and crimes. Some young lad was adamant that he was merely scratching his knee and not playing on his phone, there was a bus driver who said he's allowed to speed past cameras due to some loophole in the law and a middle class full-time mum who kept going about "PC gone mad" in relation to her stopping her car across both lanes to drop off her kids.

The hotel was in the middle of Camden though, so a couple of pints at The Hawley Arms afterwards was a welcome reward before the train back home.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

It was FULL of people in denial about their offenses and crimes.

That was my speed awareness course in a nutshell. I deserved to be there. Got caught doing 35 in a 30 trying to push through an amber traffic light. Got off lightly. But at least an hour of the course was spent with people arguing about whether speedometers are accurate and demanding that the motor industry sort it out. As if making them 100% accurate would then stop you still doing 35 mate.