Great music in films?

TheToeSucker

• Awards Moderator

As well as being (for me, anyway) Hitchcock’s best piece of work, North by Northwest has an incredible score from Bernard Herrman. From minute one it sets the tone for the film and doesn’t let up until the final scene. I don’t think the film would be what it is without it.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Ok it's a bit of an obvious one, but I love the Simon & Garfunkel music in these classic scenes from The Graduate.

Slowing down Mrs Robison when the car gets knackered works a treat.

And in Wayne's World 2.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Are we talking scores or Soundtracks?

Edgar Wright knows how to put together a good soundtrack/score. Or always manages to get people on his production staff that do. He usually choreographs the movie around it brilliantly as well. There are some brilliant seqiences in Baby Deiver. The car park shoot out set to Hocus Pocus by Focus springs to mind, but also something as simple as going for the coffee at the beginning to Harlem Shuffle, The little bits where you realise it's choreographed are great.

The Sex Bob-Omb/Katayanagi Twins battle from Scott Pilgrim Vs TheWorld is a personal favourite of mine.

The most popular example is probably the fight against John, The Winchester's landlord when he gets turned into a zombie in Shaun Of The Dead set  to Don't Stop Me Now by Queen.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The car park shoot out set to Hocus Pocus by Focus springs to mind

Tremendous shout. I love the way music is used in this movie and the Hocus Pocus scene, following straight from Intermission from Blur, worked wonderfully. Intermission was used perfectly when things started to go a bit tits up.

• Paid Members

I don't mean to gimmick infringe on John Matrix but I've been listening to the Commando score a lot recently. They throw everything in there; pulsing 80s synth bass lines, pan pipes, horns, tons of mental steel drums all over, it's pretty nuts, lots of it is quite frenzied as well.

Also listen Goblin quite frequently and their soundtrack stuff is great.

This is one of my faves ever

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

JUST CLOSE THE THREAD NOW!

https://youtu.be/F37rLFhoK94 

Bollocks! YouTube has disabled embedding it.

It is a phenomenal one. In the absence of @air_raid I'll stick in a mention for The Transforners: The Movie (the animated one from 1986). Vince DiCola with a great score, and lots of great rocking tracks as well as Dare To Be Stupid by Weird Al. 

• Paid Members

Obviously, John Williams has been behind many anthemic themes - SupermanIndiana JonesJurassic ParkJawsE.T., to name but just a few. It's difficult to pick one. I'd argue the Superman theme should be the only exception to the "no superhero movie" rule, simply because it's so recognisable beyond its bounds; pretty much everyone knows it the moment they hear it, not to mention that it's so associated with being heroic that it's often used to denote such a quality in other scenarios. 

Most of Beat Takeshi's films have great soundtracks, usually done by Joe Hisaishi. One of my favourites is his theme for Kids Return:

Another of my favourites is Kikujiro - it's so sweet and poignant (if very Japanese in that it's derivative of Pachelbel's Canon - it's usually either that or Satie's Gymnopedies):