All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Don't they have 3 months before they have to have a by-election, with 6 months as the absolute maximum if its the end of a parliament. The only way around a by-election is a GE inside 6 months. 

Turns out that's just convention. The speaker has to call the byelection and set a date (aka "moving a writ") following a motion passed by the House of Commons. The convention is that the chief whip of the party of the former MP tables the motion, within three months unless there's good reason (it's the summer holidays/nobody is sure if Gerry Adams is allowed to quit) or it's nearly the end of the parliament and an automatic general election is pending. 

Occasionally if the relevant party is dragging its feet, a different party will move the writ. In theory the House of Commons could vote to reject the writ, which then can't be brought back in that Parliamentary session. I don't think that's  happened since the war, and you can imagine the response if the government voted against having a byelection.

• Paid Members
On 1/5/2024 at 9:15 PM, JNLister said:

Turns out that's just convention. The speaker has to call the byelection and set a date (aka "moving a writ") following a motion passed by the House of Commons. The convention is that the chief whip of the party of the former MP tables the motion, within three months unless there's good reason (it's the summer holidays/nobody is sure if Gerry Adams is allowed to quit) or it's nearly the end of the parliament and an automatic general election is pending. 

Occasionally if the relevant party is dragging its feet, a different party will move the writ. In theory the House of Commons could vote to reject the writ, which then can't be brought back in that Parliamentary session. I don't think that's  happened since the war, and you can imagine the response if the government voted against having a byelection.

No chicanery this time Johnny L. Looks like 15th of February for both Wellingborough and Kingswood. 

• Paid Members
On 1/11/2024 at 1:12 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

No chicanery this time Johnny L. Looks like 15th of February for both Wellingborough and Kingswood. 

The seat is being split at the general at which point the Labour candidate for the Kingwsood byelection (and likely winner) is standing in a different seat (Bristol Northeast) to the one I'll be moved to (Northeast Somerset and Hanham). Even if the Tories win Kingswood, the winner won't be standing in the general at my new seat as the candidate there will be a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Awaiting confirmation from bigger nerds, but the upshot is it looks like I may be among the first group of voters to have three different MPs in a calendar year since 1974.

• Paid Members

I'd say the forecasts of Mogg losing are plausible but with three big asterisks:

* Some of them are based on his current boundaries. His newly formed seat is losing areas where Labour/Lib Dem did best at the last council elections and gaining areas where the Conservatives did best. It's close in all cases, so it's a marginal effect, but in theory he's got a little more favourable ground to fight on.

* The forecasts are based on the current polls. It's likely but not certain that the national Labour lead over the Tories will be narrower at a real election.

* There's still potential for confusion over who anti-Mogg voters would support. At first glance, the Lib Dems came second last time and would be the obvious tactical vote. In reality, Labour have a much better chance of winning. That's probably because the Lib Dems already do a good job of getting the votes of most people who would ever consider them (it's a rural area.) Meanwhile floating voters are more likely to be the types who'd be choosing Labour or Conservatives based on who seems least incompetent/extreme.

Electoral Calculus (on current national polling) has him losing to Labour by 35%-30%, so there's certainly room for it to be a close run thing. For context, all things being equal, his is the type of seat you'd expect Labour to be just about winning if the Tories were on around 200 seats, similar to 2005 (which seems to me a plausible comparison election that's being overlooked in the whole "will it be a 1997 landslide, a hung parliament or a 1992 Tory upset" debate.

(Edit for some extra context: Rees-Mogg won it in 2010 when it was technically a new seat, though it was virtually identical to what was previously Wansdyke. He beat the former Wansdyke MP, a Labour guy who'd taken it from the Tories in 97 and won again 01 and 05. That man, Dan Norris, went on to be the current West of England mayor and is one of the potential candidates to be the Labour challenger to Rees-Mogg this time, in what can only be called a long-time grudge rematch.)

Edited by JNLister