The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Let's be honest, neither Diaz brother really has the tools to beat any top fighter in 2021. They're novelty fighters now. Stupid muscle flexes, chatting shit while they get their legs kicked into oblivion, losing fights then rattling off excuses as to why they didn't win. 

• Paid Members

That's very true, I wouldn't pick them to beat anyone that wasn't of their own generation, and even then I would be 50/50 on it. That's what Rockhold is now though, he's a yesterday fighter and I'd highly doubt he has the capability or the drive to be a top fighter anymore. He's in that novelty fighter category for me now too. 

Since they're in my head from another thread, Lawler/Brown/The Diaz' brothers/Rockhold/Weidman/Jacare/Cerrone/Masvidal/Maia

/Tony Ferguson/Conor McGregor. All guys in that 170-185 carousel that I don't think match up well against any of the top say, five in their divisions, but make for interesting fights with certain people at a similar size and career point. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Didn't see that one coming. A pure power play against Ngannou? Considering how long the Heavyweight Title tends to go inactive between defences, it's just Dana having a tantrum in public really. Their PPV title fight needs usurp common sense once again. 

What a load of bollocks. The Strawweight title wasn't defended for something like 18 months and there wasn't even a mention of an interim title. I know it doesn't have the same casual drawing power as Heavyweight, but this is just ridiculous. 

Yeah twitter is going OFF with outrage of this interim belt situation. I was so excited to see the guy i've routed for so many years try and finally get the belt (derrick lewis) But now I feel abit jaded about it because he won't be winning the actual belt......And why is that because Francis fought 3 months ago and wanted to go on vacation and thus isn't ready for August. 

I understand the outrage but people are saying boycott the show and don't buy. 
If I'm correct this has Nunes as the co main so either way i would be watching live but it feels abit harsh to ask people to boycott it and screw the other fighters on the card. 
There has to be a better way to show the UFC this isn't on

I'd have a wager that this is about money 'negotiations'. Francis' team could have said that he's not fighting again until he is paid the cash befitting a champion. Dana fast tracks this new 'title' match as a giant FU to big Francis. An even bigger FU is given when it draws just as much as a Francis main event, and they've only paid a couple of hundred grand to the fighters. 

• Paid Members

Awaiting the inevitable 'Francis doesn't want the fight' shite from Dana. 

Jones frozen out and now Francis too. Outside of the the McGregors, Diaz and Masvidal, these two are pretty much the next top spots on the UFC totem pole. if fighters can't get together and unionise then this kind of shithousery is just gonna continue forever. 

3 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

if fighters can't get together and unionise then this kind of shithousery is just gonna continue forever. 

The best chance for a dent in the UFC's steamrolling over people was actually when GSP wanted to box. If he'd pressed the issue, applied for (and received) a boxing licence then he could have invoked the Ali Act when the UFC tried to get all pissy about it. 

Would have blown their whole carry-on wide open.