The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Love Holloway vs Rodriguez but I’ll believe it when I see it. Been burnt too many times where Yair’s concerned. If it goes ahead I can’t help feel like he’s gonna get eaten alive here. He hasn’t fought since those two Jeremy Stephens fights at the end of 2019. Coming back after about 18 months against Max Holloway is some form of self abuse. Fun one if it comes off though.

Where the fuck is Zabit? 

• Paid Members

Yes! Think @Scott Malbranque called for that one months ago and I fell in love with the idea immediately. Would’ve been disappointed if they were booked against anyone but each other, to be honest. That and Jiri Prochazka vs Johnny Walker were the wacky matchups I badly wanted but obviously Jiri’s gone beyond that now. I’m all over Price vs Pereira though. And adding it to 264? This card is looking insane now;

Dustin Poirier vs Conor McGregor 3

Gilbert Burns vs Wonderboy Thompson 

Kevin Lee vs Sean Brady 

Sean O’Malley vs Louis Smolka 

Ryan Hall vs Ilia Topuria 

Niko Price vs Michel Pereira 

Tai Tuivasa vs Greg Hardy 

Irene Aldana vs Yana Kunitskaya 

Omari Akhmedov vs Brad Tavares 

Jennifer Maia vs Jessica Eye 

Trevin Giles vs Dricus Du Plessis

Zhalgas Zhumagulov vs Jerome Rivera 

Alen Amedovski vs Yaozong Hu

Wand happy. 

41B4AED5-E941-475D-B04B-0B99B415FFB7.gif

• Moderators
On 5/23/2021 at 2:59 PM, Kamaras-Tash said:

same as the WWE I guess they think thr product sells itself 

Well it does really. Wrestling fans have this thing about posters that I don't think really makes a difference for the likes of the UFC so I don't blame them for half-arsing it.

• Paid Members

Costa’s the new Belfort, isn’t he. Weird fucker.

Looks like that planned London card for August isn’t happening but could be in September now.

Okamoto said that if this happens, UFC 266 (Jan vs Glover) which was supposed to go down on that date, would move to another date.

It’d be cool if they can come over here. Just anywhere outside America now would freshen things up a bit. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Disappointed to see Costa fall out, but Gastelum makes perfect sense as a replacement. Any fight involving 2 of those three, all coming off losses to the two top guys in the division, helps sort out the pecking order a bit. 

• Paid Members

Gastelum’s got a set of balls on him like watermelons but I’m not sure it’s a good move. Since that war with Adesanya he’s lost to Till and Hermansson, beat Heinisch, stepped in on short notice against Whittaker, took a bit of a hiding over 5 rounds, and now this. He’s lost 4 of his last 5. It’s admirable he’s consistently taking these tough fights, and now two on the trot with less than a full camp. But Christ. This is the type of run that can kill a career. He’s not even 30 yet. 

• Paid Members

Apparently he's put up a tweet denying this, and saying the guy faked it.

Oddly, I saw a tweet in the replies that said "First Zabit, now Justin", so I googled Zabit - I hadn't seen anything posted on here, but it was reported a while ago that he was considering retirement because he has some severe health issues. It's still up in the air, but he's said he won't be fighting again until those issues are sorted. A massive shame.