Best guy to never win the Big One (post 2000 edition)

Duke

• Paid Members

It's a well trod thread on here to ask the question "who's the best to never win the world title" and everyone says Ted diabiase or Scott Hall and then we all go home. Well here's the twist: who's the best guy to never win the WWE or World title since 2000 when they started giving it away. 

Play the game in the spirit, they don't have to have debuted after 2000, but it has to be someone for whom it wouldn't be completely ridiculous for them to have won it post 2000 by that point in their career . No Scott Halls, but if you think you can make an argument for William Regal then shine on. 

Ive been racking my brains about this, and honestly I think it has to be Kofi Kingston. If they'd capitalised in that feud with Orton, he could've really shot up the card, but they clearly weren't ordered about doing that. A short underdog run beating some of the big boys who were underestimating him wouldve been really fun! 

Over to you!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think there was a period where I genuinely could have seen John Morrison as the champion. Possibly around Wrestlemania 26/27

I think Wade Barrett should have beaten Randy Orton at Survivor Series (?) 

Finally... Cody Rhodes. I remembered fantasy booking Cody vs Goldust for Big Gold at Wrestlemania with my housemates during my uni days (2010) and the idea made sense.... Possibly 

• Awards Moderator

Regal is a very good shout. People often point to his 2008 run but his stuff in the early 2000s could have amounted to something as well.

X-Pac would just about qualify for me too. He was done for by 2001, but if you’d struck while the iron was still hot in early 2000 he could have had a few weeks as champ before HHH/Rock really got going.

The Hurricane in 2003 with the Raw belt, why not. He had that match with Rock and I think he had one with Triple H too. Do a giant killer thing and break up the H title reign that felt like it went on forever.

And Matt Hardy Version 1. Replace the Big Show reign from the end of 02.

• Paid Members

Goldust. I honestly think if they had done more with him both in 2002 and around the time him and Cody fueded with the authority.

They really could have played up his and HHH having quite a history, have him topple Orton even if just for a month with Dusty in his corner because he remembers Triple H as a cocky punk bitch and he's not much better now. He's probably going to be one of the best workers with some of the worst gimmicks to never win the big one.

• Paid Members

In recent years, it's got to be Samoa Joe. Each time he's had a sniff of one of the top Championships, against Brock Lesnar a few years back and then against AJ Styles this past Summer, he's hit a home run both times. Incredible promos, totally believable character, great matches, brilliant angles and a freakish ability to make even the worst material somehow work, they were insane both times to not give him a go with the belt. Who else would be able to read a bedtime story and pull it off?

I can only assume their reluctance is because they view him as injury prone. What other reason could there be? He's fucking ace.

image.thumb.png.0e490c71e2aea6bc66a47c066cc70f3a.png

Archived