Fulham FC owner starting new wrestling company?

TildeGuy~!

The groundwork is being laid for a new wrestling promotion. It involves some of the top players in the industry and financial backing from a billionaire family already involved in professional sports.

Jim Ross and Chris Jericho have been working with renowned agent Barry Bloom in putting the pieces together. JR’s contract with WWE expires shortly and he has declined an offer to renew. He has been sending out feelers to select WWE performers, while Jericho has been handling the New Japan side. Bloom was recently in Japan taking meetings related to this deal.

The project is being financed by the Khan family. Shahid Khan, the patriarch, is one of the wealthiest men on the world (and a colorful personality). He owns the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham F.C. of the English Premier League. Shahid’s son, Tony, is a big wrestling fan and has been hands-on with getting this off the ground. He follows a few wrestlers on Twitter, including Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks and Marty Scurll.

Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are on board, as are Hangman Page and a few others. Kenny Omega’s status is unclear. For what it’s worth, Bill Goldberg is a client of Barry Bloom, along with JR and Jericho. When The Elite has talked about sticking together next year, this is what they’ve been alluding to. Jim Ross has been coy about this on his podcast, vaguely teasing something big on the horizon without showing his cards.

With the A-level talent they are getting commitments from, the group will burn through a ton of cash quickly. They are moving forward with the understanding that significant losses are expected for the first couple years.

Talks are underway with AXS to secure a TV deal. AXS TV executive Adam Swift is fast-tracking this. (Update: A rep from AXS TV has denied this report.) AXS currently airs New Japan Pro Wrestling and recently announced Jeanie Buss’ Women of Wrestling premieres in January. Sinclair Broadcasting, which provided logistical support for All In and has been acting in good faith, has been in the dark about this story.

The timeline for this going live is 12-16 months from now (late 2019 / early 2020).

Anyone reckon it’ll end up happening?  You’ve got a number 2 promotion their with the names mentioned if so.

Why would the owner of a Premier League football team be interested in paying huge sums of money so that professional athletes can roll around pretending to be hurt in front of a live crowd that knows better but feigns sympathy regardless?

6 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Why would the owner of a Premier League football team be interested in paying huge sums of money so that professional athletes can roll around pretending to be hurt in front of a live crowd and television audience?

I see what you did there. Arrows.

• Paid Members

My big takeaway from the OP is - WWE wanted to renew a contract with Jim Ross??!!

His role supposed to be 'tournaments & specials' but I don't think he's done anything since sounding bored as fuck during the Mae Young Classic last year. Cole is obviously doing that this year, and Mauro did the UK tournament, IIRC (which makes sense as the 2nd night was quite NXT-heavy as it morphed into NXT:UK).

Aside from that - I do think the idea of a 'proper' second US promotion sounds nice, but if it's going to really work for me I think it'd need to pull in some people who are currently in TNA, some who are currently in RoH, and some who are currently elsewhere as well as the Bullet Club lads.

Archived