Film-making

Chris B

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Check your ripple delete options. By default its pressing shift and delete at the same time and will delete a clip and move everything, as if the clip wasn't there (essentially shifting everything back in its place) may be the reason things have been moving

Yeah, I definitely need to get more comfortable with that. Not using shift-and-delete, but it's still doing it sometimes anyway. I'll play around with it and figure it out - in the meantime, realised that cutting rather than deleting avoided it.

• 10 months later...
  • Paid Members

Has anyone Super 8? Really tempted by the Straight 8 challenge (where you edit in-camera for a short film on a single cartridge of Super 8), and curious if anyone has experience with it.

Edited by Chris B

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

I did the Super 8 challenge after all! Incredibly fun to do - the idea is that you use a vintage camera (I used a Braun Nizo 801 from 1974), and shoot on a single film cartridge. This means the only editing you can do is literally 'start filming - stop filming' for each shot. If you make any mistakes, you kind of have to leave them in or start again! You can't delete anything, and you can't see how the footage looks, as there's no preview monitor. Once you finish it, you send it off to be developed, and then send in a separate MP3 with the soundtrack. It's like doing a photography challenge on a disposable camera and submitting the film without developing it.

It's so much fun, but nerve-wracking. No digital displays or anything, so all you have for timing is a little indicator on the side of the camera. Also, when you submit it, they do a single colour correction that they apply to the whole film. Cannot recommend doing this challenge enough - the old Super 8s are utterly gorgeous to use, and I love the way the film looks.

Did have problems on the day - there are two cats in it, and I wasn't expecting them to hate the sound of the camera when I started filming, so had to improvise around that. Also, the final shot was...weird. I think the trigger got stuck. So in the only cheat after I got it back, I added credits over it. 

Any questions around using it, happy to answer. Also love to hear other's thoughts on Super 8.

Here's the entry. I pretty much guarantee you won't guess where this goes.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I have an old Super 8 camera knocking about somewhere that I bought about ten years ago and never did anything with. Where is a decent place to get film for it?

This place in my neck of the woods is good. It's not cheap buying film anywhere, but they were good to deal with. Because I'm nearby, I went in and they were kind enough to answer some questions and give me some tips on using the camera I was renting as well. They seem to be fairly genuine enthusiasts, and it's a small business.

https://www.on8mil.com/

What model camera did you get?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I had a message out of the blue from an old friend on LinkedIn, who reminded me that some 14 years ago, we’d head out somewhere, the two of us with a video camera and shoot fight scenes.

This is the only one that survived in full and whilst it’s obviously TERRIBLE, it’s frankly a sodding masterpiece all things considered.

The earlier two in the series haven’t survived, but he did find this gif on an old hard drive, taken from Fighter One shot some two years earlier and boy, if this isn’t a 16 year old gif!

A70172F1-E23A-4485-87B7-23818FE377AB.gif

• Awards Moderator
On 8/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Does anyone know of a decent app for making stop motion animation? Doesn't need to be fancy,  just making play doh animations with my daughter. But hoping there is something cheap or free that works decently.

I've been using this (for almost exactly the same purpose!) and it's really full-featured for free. I recommend a stand or tripod as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cateater.stopmotionstudio

My phone is now full of videos of LOL dolls shambling around cardboard props set to trashy straight-to-streaming Disney music.

I'm not kidding.

Edited by Onyx2

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

I took part in another 48-hour challenge recently (before the recent lockdown and filmed carefully - everyone's been well). I got horror-comedy, which is right up my street, so I was happy about that. Unfortunately, the lockdown meant the usual audience vote approach can't happen, as there's no live audience. So, instead, it has a virtual premiere for a week, which is live now. So the audience vote is now available to anyone that buys a ticket. 

Tickets are $7, which gets you a block of 12 short films (there are 2 other blocks of films available as well - you can get all of them for $14). Mine is in Block C.  It's called 'Talking Therapy' and it's a short horror comedy about a ventriloquist in therapy. If you do happen to buy a ticket and watch it, a '1' vote would help me enormously.

It's horrible that things like this basically become popularity contests about who can convince the most people to buy tickets, but it's what it is. We had to include various criteria - A character called Quinn Crookshank (a health and safety investigator), a flower or bunch of flowers, and the line 'How many times do I have to say it?'

https://watch.eventive.org/london48hfp/play/5fa2a01aa894300ce6abfd0f/5fa2b22cb3de060078febae1?fbclid=IwAR3AaasMVpTo8udhgTgptw6hs3kb5vNSANGPbcdUwlegqXkoG9fQsx8BRRs

I'm really pleased with the film - made using two canon cameras, in a back room of a bookshop (which, it turns out, makes for a really good little studio). The actress I work with is great - she's so much fun and fast as hell in terms of getting the performance. Edited using DaVinci Resolve. Here's a 48-second trailer (for the 48 hour challenge). With the 48 hour challenges, we get the details on a Friday evening, so I write it that night, film it the following night, and spend the final day frantically editing.

EDIT: If it isn't clear, I hate self-promoting. Sorry. A lack of avenues, as much as anything else - it's a frustrating part of trying to get stuff out there.

Edited by Chris B

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Sharing this here, because I'm going to submit it to some horror festivals for next year, which means I can't really share it on social media properly.

I'm also sharing it because I'm feeling rather down creatively (had some rejections recently), so I kind of feel like I need to put this somewhere, as otherwise, it feels like a bit of a waste right now.  It's been a tough time to try and get stuff out.