Film-making

Chris B

• Paid Members
On 2/26/2023 at 11:16 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

Good evening filmmaking brethren. So since my last couple of rail-based video efforts, I gathered loads of feedback and had a good think about the process of putting the videos together. I came to the following conclusions - 

- 101 facts, or a similar amount, is a lot to ask people to watch through. Especially when your channel is fairly small and perhaps hasn't earned the necessary street cred yet.
- In line with the above, they are bastards to pull together. Finding the facts, relevant imagery, physically editing it all together, graphics etc. It's still fun, but tiring! 
- The videos could do with more humour - information is great, especially for enthusiasts, but to reach a wider audience it needs to be more digestible. 
- More planning for animated elements needs to be factored in. I'll sometimes fart about on Canva for over an hour before I'm happy with something. 

With that in mind - and some of the excellent feedback I've had from people, including you lovely lot on here and sliding into my DMs (oof), this week I challenge myself to do something a bit different. The results are paying off already. 

Let me know what you think - I like to think this one is a far easier watch than some of my previous efforts. Here are my observations for both the creation process and the results generated so far - 

- This was infinitely more fun to pull together. Far easier to script, overall far quicker to pull together and just generally a more enjoyable process. 
- The process of scripting, graphics/animation creation and physical editing took five days. Monday to Friday. Whilst working full time and battling a cold! 
- It's already my most commented-on video to date - lots of people giving their opinions on the topics discussed, and there's an even split. That justifies the topic alone.
- It's already the best video on the channel in terms of retention rate - a much higher percentage than other efforts. 
- Click-through rate is really high too. Personally I'm not sure about the thumbnail - it's a bit click-baity, daft looking to me, but it seems to be working. 
- It's elevating my other content too - I'm starting to get more comments and views on other recent videos. Good for retention rates. 

The idea was effectively to get a video ready in time for Flying Scotsman's 100th anniversary - it was trending across social media and I knew there would be a chance it would. I also wanted to do something different and was trying to think of a more fun topic than something that was just an information-fest. By creating something with built-in debate, it's drawn a great response. Rail by its nature massively divides opinion, so I think I need to use that to try and make the videos a bit more appealing. 

What I'm keen to try and do next is take other topics I previously had in mind, making use of the massive bank of footage I've collected, and to try and 'sex it up' a bit. For instance, I've got tons of footage of trains in London, almost too much to know what to do with. There must be a way I can use it effectively - it's just a case of figuring out what the heck to do with it all. 

Anyway, all thoughts welcome on the video - all feedback I've had so far has been massive, so thanks team!

Really good work on this. It seems to suit *you* better as well. Only thing I'd say is that the point where you introduce the pros/cons table felt oddly timed and rushed - not that you should have made too much of a thing of it, but you could probably have cut visually to it earlier.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Really good work on this. It seems to suit *you* better as well. Only thing I'd say is that the point where you introduce the pros/cons table felt oddly timed and rushed - not that you should have made too much of a thing of it, but you could probably have cut visually to it earlier.

Thanks chief. How do you think I can make that smoother? Now you mention it I do cut to it quite quickly. I initially had an intro where I explained the criteria, but thought it seemed a bit boring and might lose interest once people know what the categories are? 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Thanks chief. How do you think I can make that smoother? Now you mention it I do cut to it quite quickly. I initially had an intro where I explained the criteria, but thought it seemed a bit boring and might lose interest once people know what the categories are? 

I mean, entirely unfair to ask me for solutions rather than just letting me pick holes from afar... 

One way would be to focus more on that board, since you're introducing it anyway.

I'd probably cut to it on 0.32/33, but with just the chalkboard and pictures. Bring up 'love it' and 'hate it' as you say those things and then add the model of the Flying Scotsman underneath with a cheesy transition to match the over-the-top way you say it at that point (along with, because why not, a steam whistle sound-effect straight afterwards). That'd also cover the gap between 'the Flying Scotsman' and 'The cost', since the music you have starts quite low at that point anyway - the sound of the train itself in the clip is nice as you have it, but you can get away with cheesy for the title. The categories are straightforward, but this is also basically the title and format of the video, so you may as well make more of it.

The other way is probably better.

Skip the popping-up of 'Love it' and 'Hate it' and have them static. I think, really, that's what is sticking out to me. Just before you've gone into that, my focus has gone from left to right (following the front of the train). The animated pop-up of the 'love it' and 'hate it' draws my attention to that and I'm still there when you've brought in the first X and 'The Cost' - you're moving faster than I can follow, partly because you've drawn my attention from where you actually want it (on 'The Cost'). And by the time I get there, you've pretty much moved on, so it makes me feel like I'm behind. If they were static, I'd probably just take them in and mostly ignore them anyway, and focus on 'The Cost'.

Edited by Chris B