Film-making

Chris B

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been tasked to edit my Sisters wedding video. Any recommendations on free software? I used to use Premiere back in my uni days so anything similar to that would be best.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, DEF said:

I've been tasked to edit my Sisters wedding video. Any recommendations on free software? I used to use Premiere back in my uni days so anything similar to that would be best.

You can get a free trial of Premiere but might need a Credit Card. Failing that Da Vinci Resolve is amazing and free but is a steep learning curve if you've only ever used Premiere

• Paid Members

Thanks. I did a Premiere free trial a few years back for another wedding so I'm not sure I'll qualify. Will have a look at Resolve.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, DEF said:

Thanks. I did a Premiere free trial a few years back for another wedding so I'm not sure I'll qualify. Will have a look at Resolve.

Let me know what you go with. For just timeline editing Resolve should look pretty familiar. Its just when you go into effects, and colour grading it's node based, which is a whole new world

image.thumb.png.0313ca58048c37eb649efb9f39efde05.png

Node Editing

image.thumb.png.7fb6039f732af26298770bd1172ee870.png

• Paid Members

Seconding the recommendation for Resolve - if you're using it to a fairly light level, you'll have no problems at all. 

One thing I've been learning about recently is how many festivals are a bit of... not a scam exactly, but some are pretty clearly just about making cash. I don't think the bar to be selected is that high, put it that way. I've realised it's pretty easy to get a few 'selected' laurels. And it's making me realise how much of this whole game is about cash and accessibility - you might need to be at a certain level, but you also need to have enough disposable cash to put into getting the laurels. Just ended up making me feel a little cynical in some ways.

• Paid Members

That's a shame Chris B. Don't let that put you off. Try and think of festivals as just a distribution system. I like your shorts. It always gives me the itch when you put one up.

I've gone with Resolve and it looks like a hell of a bit of kit. Unfortunately my folks PC doesn't seem to be able to handle the play back. I've tried all the YouTube tips about dropping the resolution and what not but it just can't hack it. I'm going to give it a go on my laptop tomorrow and see how that fairs. Otherwise Resolve looks cracking.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Seconding the recommendation for Resolve - if you're using it to a fairly light level, you'll have no problems at all. 

One thing I've been learning about recently is how many festivals are a bit of... not a scam exactly, but some are pretty clearly just about making cash. I don't think the bar to be selected is that high, put it that way. I've realised it's pretty easy to get a few 'selected' laurels. And it's making me realise how much of this whole game is about cash and accessibility - you might need to be at a certain level, but you also need to have enough disposable cash to put into getting the laurels. Just ended up making me feel a little cynical in some ways.

It's the same with photography. You essentially pay to submit for awards and almost always get some form of participation award. I've seen people in camera clubs entering litetally hundreds a year and bragging when they get bronze and silver laurels... Which is essentially a given with an entry fee. The competitions must be earning a fortune. 

On a more positive note I've got a busy month ahead but have booked in a few days after to do some 1 scene shorts to get back into editing. Have a few black magic 6k cameras I want to play with and dive deeper into colour grading. 

8 hours ago, chokeout said:

On a more positive note I've got a busy month ahead but have booked in a few days after to do some 1 scene shorts to get back into editing. Have a few black magic 6k cameras I want to play with and dive deeper into colour grading. 

Ooh, that’s exciting. I’d love to get hold a pro camera like that but it’s so far down the list of things to buy and the kids are like money hoovers. Have you got a reference monitor to do grading on? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What's the quickest way to make some shitty animation? With a degree of flexibility but potentially using asset libraries as shortcuts etc. 

Dabbling with an idea and want to knock together a quick proof of concept...

Pencil 2D is free and easy to use if you just want to drag pre made graphics in and move them around.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, hallicks said:

Ooh, that’s exciting. I’d love to get hold a pro camera like that but it’s so far down the list of things to buy and the kids are like money hoovers. Have you got a reference monitor to do grading on? 

I've got calibrated monitors in the office for the design and photography side of work and a factory calibrated Lenovo monitor which i'm going to try to use for more video stuff. Also have a little Black Magic Assist to use on the camera which you can pop a LUT onto to get a rough idea when you're filming

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, chokeout said:

It's the same with photography. You essentially pay to submit for awards and almost always get some form of participation award. I've seen people in camera clubs entering litetally hundreds a year and bragging when they get bronze and silver laurels... Which is essentially a given with an entry fee. The competitions must be earning a fortune. 

It's exactly this, and yeah, it's what's making me feel cynical - it feels a little like I'm getting stuff I don't deserve because I can afford to do so at the moment. @DEF - really appreciate what you said, and I'm not any less enthusiastic about the film-making side of it. 

Does anyone have any experience filming in 8mm (not Super 8)? I'm taking part in the Straight 8 challenge, but I've also managed to get my hands on a 1956 Paillard Bolex 8mm camera and projector (which appear to be in working order). My plan is to do a Super 8 film about a haunted/possessed 8mm camera, and do some filming on that, project it, and film some of the footage onto the Super 8. But realising that I have a viewfinder that doesn't relate to the lenses is terrifying in terms of trying to figure out focus.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It's exactly this, and yeah, it's what's making me feel cynical - it feels a little like I'm getting stuff I don't deserve because I can afford to do so at the moment. @DEF - really appreciate what you said, and I'm not any less enthusiastic about the film-making side of it. 

Does anyone have any experience filming in 8mm (not Super 8)? I'm taking part in the Straight 8 challenge, but I've also managed to get my hands on a 1956 Paillard Bolex 8mm camera and projector (which appear to be in working order). My plan is to do a Super 8 film about a haunted/possessed 8mm camera, and do some filming on that, project it, and film some of the footage onto the Super 8. But realising that I have a viewfinder that doesn't relate to the lenses is terrifying in terms of trying to figure out focus.

What lenses are on it? I had the same terror when i was shooting stills on film again with a fully manual camera. Bottled it at first and just cheated and set everything to sunny 16 so i could at least have some usable shots but thats the fun of film