VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

One thing I have always wondered, is how do retailers/ vegan food manufacturers get away will calling their meat substitutes the meat they are imitating. For example, a chippy near us is advertising vegan "Fish n Chips" where the the "fish" is a mix of veggie spiced and cut to taste and feel like fish, then battered. But surely this is getting into the crab /seafood/crab flavoured sticks territory, isn't it?

By the way, this post isn't a vegan food is good/bad* post, but something I am genuinely interested in...

*delete as require

2 hours ago, waters44 said:

I can grasp that principle, thanks. No need to shoot me down, I have a genuine interest in what I believe to be a noble existence and hoped this would be the place to come to find out more. I wondered if there were different attitudes involved, that was all, I’ve not read the vegan rule book.

It’s not so much a Rule Book as it is a Rule Post-It Note. If it harms an animal, it’s off the table 

• Paid Members

People do have varying degrees of what constitutes veganism, or what their "rules" are, though. I left a couple of vegan Facebook groups because they were full of people being overbearing and moralistic, or posting horrific photos and videos. The only one I'm in now has strict rules on not posting animal cruelty stuff, and just being for discussion of recipes, and where to find vegan food locally. Amongst that mob - and in posts I've seen on Reddit - there were some who looked down on people who were "only" vegan for health reasons, and refused to describe them as vegan. Obviously, these people were pricks. 

There are grey areas, though - there was a bit on QI recently about lots of fruit and veg being technically not vegan as it relied on the farming of bees, and there are lots of question marks around the environmental good or ill of urban beekeeping. One of my own makeshift rules is that I still wear leather, but I only buy it second-hand, morally justifying it to myself that this means that I'm not adding to the demand for new leather to be produced, knowing full well that the same argument is used to justify the continued existence of the ivory trade....

On the "oh, but what if the animal is treated well and killed humanely" argument - I'll always fall back to not understanding how being murdered by your primary caregiver is considered humane or fair treatment.

• Paid Members

I think that new FB group you've joined has absolutely the right approach. With the exception of during times of crisis, people are more likely to be swayed by positive, emphatic representation of the benefits of something, rather than be bombarded with a ceaseless onslaught of horrendousness and brutality.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post.

So you might remember that I'd arranged with my neighbour that she'd teach me how to make bread, which we did on Sunday. She got all the ingredients together, but made sure I did all the measuring, mixing, yeasting, kneading, baking, etc. I definitely learned a lot.

I don't think it was intended, but this recipe is vegan! No dairy at all - where the recipe calls for butter, she puts two spoons of olive oil. Basically:

0.5 oz yeast

Spoonful of brown sugar (to "cream" the yeast)

11 oz strong wholemeal flour

5 oz strong white flour

0.75 oz salt

Tablespoon of mixed seed

Tablespoon of poppyseed

Spoon of crushed walnuts

Two spoons of olive oil

Some water (didn't really measure, just enough to make the flour doughy enough to knead)

Here's how it turned out:

IMG_20181118_133826.thumb.jpg.a00f5f8f0a7d7442bda8178dd9f07ddd.jpgIMG_20181118_134959.thumb.jpg.59a9312c32765eba941ecc7b947fd25f.jpgIMG_20181118_135615.thumb.jpg.f534bb37120630b1d9c2f99eb966f1b8.jpg

Tasted great (even though I say so myself, which I do). Going to try and do a few more basic bakes before I start trying ideas out (got one in my head for rosemary and toasted almonds, another for American-style cornbread).

On 11/21/2018 at 6:18 PM, waters44 said:

I can grasp that principle, thanks. No need to shoot me down, I have a genuine interest in what I believe to be a noble existence and hoped this would be the place to come to find out more. I wondered if there were different attitudes involved, that was all, I’ve not read the vegan rule book. 

I personally consider how the meat is produced to be a sliding scale, with some much worse than others. However that doesn’t mean I would ever be inclined to eat any myself. Humane slaughter is a contradiction and a lot of animals that are “ethically” raised still get treated like shit. 

There isn’t a rule book, but if there was rule number one would be “don’t eat anything that comes from an animal.”

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, mim731 said:

Looks cracking @Carbomb!

Thanks, man!

5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Oz and spoons? Boo! 👎🏾

Yeah, it's my neighbour's system - she's in her 60s, and works with what she knows well; who am I to say otherwise? I daresay I can sort out metric equivalents for my own bakes using converters and whatnot, but for the moment, I don't want to mess with the formula until I've got the technique down pat.

Any Londoners who try this, please let us know how it tastes!

UK's First All-Vegan Supermarket Greenbay Launches Plant-Based 'Steak'

The product, which is made from soy, beans, and spices, is designed to make going vegan as easy as possible for people who previously enjoyed eating animal products

FacebookTwitterEmail
Nov 22, 2018 4:46 PM
Select LanguageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdish (Kurmanji)KyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu