VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

20 minutes ago, Loki said:

But I couldn't give up meat, and I'm not hugely tolerant of people who aggressively push this as some sort of moral question.  Of all the terrible things we do to this planet, rearing animals sustainably to eat them isn't the thing I'm most worried about.  Everything in moderation.

Get out the Vegan thread then you absolute wally 

• Paid Members

We do a Jackfruit pizza at work and it's supposed to have the look and texture of pulled pork, but it smells absolutely rancid. Vegan or not, I don't know why anyone would eat it. A few members of staff have tried it and aren't keen.

• Paid Members

Jackfruit needs to be cooked properly to be any good as a savoury. We sometimes have Mauritian jackfruit curry in my house, and on one occasion my dad overcooked it, with the fruit ending up with a rather unpleasant, powdery texture.

However, it's become a popular ingredient in vegan/vegetarian burgers and pulled pork-style dishes recently, and I must admit, I do like how that's done. 

• Paid Members

I've never tried cooking jackfruit myself, but every time I've eaten it, it's been absolutely gorgeous. Gallery Cafe, next to York Hall, do a pulled jackfruit taco that I could gladly eat every day for the rest of my life.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I find it odd that you haven't tried it. If I was responsible for the food I'd try every dish at least once..

I mean, I've only been there 3 weeks and the menu is fairly big. I'm not looking to eat a pizza a day just to try ingredients. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's still pretty lame and flippant as a chef to say you haven't tried it but you can't imagine why anyone would want to eat it. I mean it's no Astro, but still pretty unadventurous!

I was clearly talking based on the smell of it, because it does smell horrible. You could say the same thing about Durian based on the smell. Being a Chef doesn't mean you suddenly have to like every food you cook. A lot of our dishes have mushrooms in it or on it, and I can't stand mushrooms.

I've tried a handful of things there I wouldn't have liked the sound of since I started, e.g. having an egg in the middle of the pizza, or dollops of ricotta in the middle of a bolognese pizza. Some I was absolutely wrong about (egg on pizza) and some I still don't think are great (ricotta).
Maybe one day I'll try the Jackfruit pizza but I'm not looking to eat a pizza every shift because that's insane. There's by and far nicer sounding Vegan pizzas on the menu I'd rather try first.

4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think a vegan thread can sustain a bit of debate about it, can't it? It's been pretty civil so far. 

He isn’t debating, he is just being extremely rude, dismissive and stupid. Literally no point to him being here at all.

12 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Maybe one day I'll try the Jackfruit pizza but I'm not looking to eat a pizza every shift because that's insane. 

I thought that's what folk in the food industry do? Hence the reason for all the fat chefs? I certainly wouldn't trust a skinny chef to cook my jackfruit pizza, that's for sure.