UK Kat Von D

VeganMania

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't know how I didn't know that.

Serious, if stupid, question: What would happen to all the cows if Maxwell's Vegan-land prediction came true?

I had this conversation back when I was working at a zoo, and we had this kind of discussion a lot. I hadn't encountered it before, but apparently "if we weren't farming them, they'd go extinct, and you wouldn't want a species going extinct now would you?" is a quite common pseudo-justification for eating meat.

The thing is, the Vegan Utopia isn't happening overnight. Declining demand for meat will see industrial farming replaced by smaller scale production, so the number of cows bred for meat and dairy will decrease. Of all farmed animals, cows are the trickiest one as they don't really have anything approaching a wild population anywhere, and haven't for centuries (unlike pigs, goats, etc.), but if we get to the point where all meat farms are shut down and there's still a population of cows, then we could look at repurposing previously farmed land, potentially rewilding some areas, and just letting cows live out their natural lives. Perhaps they'll find an ecological niche, perhaps they won't.

But if it comes to between cows dying out and the countless species threatened with extinction by the scale of industrial farming and its knock-on effects, I'd probably sack cows off.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Not to mention you're living in a place strongly associated with dairy produce! I take it the treatment of Jersey cows is no better?

I'm actually not overly familiar with how Jersey cows are treated! In general, at least, they spend the majority of their lives outside in the fields rather than crammed into dark cramped sheds, so they have it better than most battery cows, though still hardly an easy ride for them.

There are some more humanely produced milk available IIRC.  Waitrose guarantees that dairy cattle that produce its milk spend a minimum of 100 days a year in grazing pasture.    Anything labelled as organic milk in the UK is over 200 days access to pasture, no routine antibiotics and less aggressive yields.

Consumers can help drive up animal welfare conditions if you're willing to spend a few extra pennies, which I certainly am.  Being a meat-eater doesn't mean you can't be concerned for animals welfare (with the understanding that slaughter is ultimately their fate).

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't know how I didn't know that.

Serious, if stupid, question: What would happen to all the cows if Maxwell's Vegan-land prediction came true?

Have you not SEEN Planet of the Apes? If so, that. But with Cows instead of Apes.

Forgot to mention: day before yesterday, saw a place just off Tottenham Court Road that apparently has only just recently opened in the past few days. Might try it out. Menu had odd-sounding stuff in it like blackened tempeh.

IMG_20190107_194058.thumb.jpg.900b5703237599d0c8651a8b8f2e97cf.jpg

Out of curiosity, how's the vegan cooking going @UK Kat Von D?

I've got a new cook book for Xmas which should hopefully expand my meals. I tend to have curries, salads, burritos, something with sweet potato, sometimes a burger, but I've ended up having the same/similar stuff after a while as I've not looked into more recipes.

I’ve put stuff in the oven so far but since I’ve been in Edinburgh all week I’ve been making the most of that. Planning to cook some proper stuff this weekend when I’m back though. 

This is what I got up to tonight, pizza and tacos. My air bnb does have a badass kitchen (it has an island thing so you know it’s good) but I’m too scared I’ll damage something 

If you're in a different city you may as well check out the restaurants they have there if you can afford to.

I've followed a guy called Jon Venus on Instagram as he's a vegan fitness guy with a bloody good body. I'm starting to use Instagram more to follow things I want to learn and this gives good examples of how to get a load of calories in whilst getting a good balance of nutrients. Any other suggestions along those lines would be welcomed (I've been telling myself I'll hit the gym since May and this may be the inspiration I need).

On 1/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, BomberPat said:

47693558_181403186150761_237015188058755

My haul from M&S' new vegan range, keen to check their stuff out. The pizza is lovely, but far too small. 

I tried the burger. Pretty good! 

But this recipe is still the gold standard. Well worth making a big batch of these, they're fantastic. 

I had a Greggs' VeganRoll yesterday, and started to feel really ill almost immediatly after. Ended up having to go to A&E asmy throught was closing up and I was finding it diffucult to breath, which was in adition ti my stomach feeling like it was going to rip itself out of me.

Turns out it is vert likelly I as allergic to Mycoprotein, whic is dissapointing. It's the first thing I've found I am allergic to ever, and it turns out to be what I've told is one of the more enjoyable meat substitues. Bugger!

31 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I had a Greggs' VeganRoll yesterday, and started to feel really ill almost immediatly after. Ended up having to go to A&E asmy throught was closing up and I was finding it diffucult to breath, which was in adition ti my stomach feeling like it was going to rip itself out of me.

Sell this story to the Daily Mail

Wait for Piers Morgan to pick up on it

?????

Profit!