VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

I went to Budapest recently and there's loads of vegan options. I downloaded the Happy Cow app, which I'd definitely recommend, which tells you where vegan/veggie restaurants are in the city you're in.

Las Vegan's is a stall in a Vegan Garden that's next to a bar in the Jewish District, which was about a 5 minute walk from the Airbnb and near ruin bars. The Vegan Garden seems to be closed for the winter and, as I went at night, it was just that one stall and some benches. You could eat it in the bar though which was quite cosy. The Forest Burger I had was fucking gorgeous - it's a mushroom patty, grilled onion, sun dried tomatoes, grilled portobello, garlic sauce, and baby spinach - and it's a good size too. And my word, the garlic sauce. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo, and didn't for any of my meals, as it didn't really cross my mind.

Another place was Vega City which I'd have liked to have gone back to as I wasn't all that adventurous here (not that getting a burger is). It's a buffet restaurant and I had brunch here on the first day. There was loads of choice for salad, seitan, pasta dishes, raw vegan food, burgers and desserts amongst other things. As I was hungry, I went for food that looked like it would fill me up good so I had a lasagne, chickpea and spinach curry, a smoothie and a nettle and fennel cracker. It's a nice environment though I think we left just as the lunch time rush was starting with people queuing out of the door.

We got to Kozmosz after walking all day only to find out it was about to shut. They gave us five minutes to pick food though it had to be one of the burgers, so I had the bean burger. I can't find a menu to see what it was in it but I know the peanut butter stood out and it was a great eat on the tram to a ruin bar.

I had a nice half-and-half jalapeno/coal burner (fake sausage, seitan cubes, smoked tofu) pizza from Napfenyes and they had a nice selection of desserts too. I wasn't too keen on the almond cheesecake I chose but I'm pretty sure others would be better.

If I find out how to post pictures from others who've visited these places, if that's allowed, then I'll give that a go.

Edited by Sphinx

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I went back to the Temple of Seitan yesterday. Always try to if I have had to go to London for a meeting. The chick'n is great. I had buffalo "wings" which really were more like large chicken strips. 4 for ÂŁ6 is not cheap, but they are nice.

Also went to Harvester on Saturday and tried the Puriest burger (I think thats what it was called) which was a Moving Moutains Burger with Violife Cheese. It was amazing. Probably the best Vegan burger I have tried, though the Temple's Burger is also pretty good.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Can’t stand Violife cheese, but just looked that up and it looks decent. Quite a good vegan menu there to be fair.

I was surprised at the menu I must say. The cheese actually tasted ok. I am not Vegan, I am still a pesceterian, though eat Vegan mostly. But this was my first experience of Violife and was surprised it was not as bad as I was led to believe. It was different to normal cheese, but not as different as I was expecting.

Sainsbury are pushing their new Lazy Vegan range I guess, got stopped when in there on the weekend to try some, they use pea fibre or something to replicate meat?

Anyway, it tasted like shit and the texture is like eating rubber.  Avoid.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I like the Violife slices but can't stand their block "cheese", nothing better than a couple of slices on top of a bowl of vegan ramen.

Is there any difference other than having to slice it? 

I've used the slices, block and pre grated stuff and it's all the same to me. 

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

Sainsbury are pushing their new Lazy Vegan range I guess, got stopped when in there on the weekend to try some, they use pea fibre or something to replicate meat?

Lazy vegan indeed! As if there's any other kind! They must be having a laugh. It's not exactly difficult to eat rice and beans every day. It's one of the easiest mindsets to adopt in order to show that you're different and better. Being a vegan takes no skill. Rather, it is an attention seeking gambit from people who want you to know how much they care about animals, but really it's about how much more educated they are than the bacon chomping mongaloids they look down their lentil smeared noses at.

How's that for an impression of Jeremy Clarkson?

1 hour ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Lazy vegan indeed! As if there's any other kind! They must be having a laugh. It's not exactly difficult to eat rice and beans every day. It's one of the easiest mindsets to adopt in order to show that you're different and better. Being a vegan takes no skill. Rather, it is an attention seeking gambit from people who want you to know how much they care about animals, but really it's about how much more educated they are than the bacon chomping mongaloids they look down their lentil smeared noses at.

How's that for an impression of Jeremy Clarkson?

You’re such a fucking shit poster, you make me miss Boydy... that’s how awful you are. 

On 2/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, Loki said:

I got the Lazy Vegan fishless fingers from Asda and thought they were alright

Edit: I take it back. I had them in a sandwich and they were nice, but tried them on the weekend on their own and they were gross. Avoid. Quorn fishless fingers are nicer

Edited by deathrey