VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

You’d have to factor in the initial outlay of ingredients as well as for the blender, plus how near the supermarket is and if you need public transport to get to it. It’s certainly something you can include kids in the prep for as there aren’t any sharp objects or cutting, so it’s making food prep fun which can really add to them liking it!

Yeah, if they don’t already own a blender that is the real drawback to switching over. Obviously it would pay for itself after a while, but that initial purchase would be the main stumbling block. 

For the initial ingredients other than oats you can also use stuff like cinamen or sweeteners too. Not sure if regular sugar would work but I’ll give it a go on the next batch I make.

As far as taste goes I prefer this, and you’d be able to change the ratio to get it just how you like. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

I tried making Almond milk once. The Almonds need to be soaked in water. For a cleaner taste it is advisable to peel them. Then they need to be blitzed up in a blender. The resulting almond meal then needs to be pressed to extract the milk. I wasn't very impressed by the yield. It does take a pretty large amount of Almonds to yield a satisfactory amount of milk. Be prepared to go through a few kilos. The process can be a bit messy too. As with anything like that. preparation is key. You'll also need some materials that not everyone will have lying around. Muslin to act as a sieve. Some heavy heavy weight to press the Almond meal. the strength to safely manage the heavy weights. Plus the pressing is a process best done overnight. Therefore the process will take a bit of time.

This has reminded me of a performance I once saw on Paul Daniels show.

Edited by BigJag

The websites I looked at made it sound easier than that, but Oat was crazy easy which is why I went for this first. Tempted to have a go at making my own cheese too but reckon that’ll be a right ball ache. If I can work out a good one it’ll be worth it though 

38 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The websites I looked at made it sound easier than that, but Oat was crazy easy which is why I went for this first. Tempted to have a go at making my own cheese too but reckon that’ll be a right ball ache. If I can work out a good one it’ll be worth it though 

Mozzarella is piss easy to make, it'd be a good start.

The Dirty Vegan cookbook is out now. Already had a sneak peak but I’m excited to get my hands on it proper, I’ve decided that cooking from home is my New Years Resolution. He also has a doc out on BBC iPlayer called Wild Man To Ironman.

“Dirty Sanchez's Mathew Pritchard charts his journey from a life of drug addiction to ultra-fit vegan, as he prepares to participate in a triathlon around Wales's coastline”

He is still a party animal from time to time, usually when he is on tour. Here is a photo of us after he got kicked out from Subside in Brum