He probably took out a loan or bought it on layaway, a lot of my friends got their first pay check at 18 and went out and put it all on the first payment of a ridiculous car they'd never be able to afford.  Judging by the cars that drive past on the main road here with kids who can't shave driving them, this is still true today!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

He had a Porsche, £20k half of the deposit and the ability to pay back the other £20k within a year. Plus a missus who’s dad could afford to borrow them £20k over a dinner. That’s pushing the definition of skint in my book.

Things like that are relative to your accustomed lifestyle to a degree. I know people, cunts mostly, who genuinely consider themselves hard up because they didn't go skiing over winter.

The fact that others aren't eating for the two days before payday is so beyond thier experience they don't comprehend it and generally get a shock when I've seen them challenged on it.

Edited by Tommy!

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

He had a Porsche, £20k half of the deposit and the ability to pay back the other £20k within a year. Plus a missus who’s dad could afford to borrow them £20k over a dinner. That’s pushing the definition of skint in my book.

Lend them. 

Yeah I agree with Loki about the point of the anecdote and I do agree about the individual perception of being skint. I’m someone who has spent most of their life unable to work or on low wages, but I’m also someone who is of an age where I bought a house with a 30k mortgage. However it always annoyed me when I’d say I’m skint and someone would say “Same here, I’m so broke this month I’ve had to dip into my savings”. Wow, you have savings?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Been rewatching the UK and Europe Kitchen Nightmares the last couple of says. Absolute belters each and every one of them, and obviously they're full of nobheads, but there's always sympathy to be had for those nobheads.

Expect that absolute cunt Tim from Le Deck. What a grade A prick that bloke was. I hope all his restaurants failed.

Also found a show I've never seen before, on Prime, called Gordon Ramsay Passion For Flavour, which I can't find much about, but believe was just after Boiling Point, as he's still at his first restaurant I think.

It's very low budget, but well worth a watch though. Saying that Ramsay has just called someone a faggot for saying the kitchen is too hot, so swings and roundabouts.

The F Word indeed.

Just now, DavidB6937 said:

Finished watching the new US Kitchen Nightmares this week. Basically exactly the same, although I think he made it through one episode without shutting a restaurant down which was strange. Maybe he forgot.

Perhaps, and this is stretching the realms of improbability, he actually had a restaurant that WASNT his biggest challenge yet?

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Perhaps, and this is stretching the realms of improbability, he actually had a restaurant that WASNT his biggest challenge yet?

He still walked out and did that huffing thing he did. I think it was because it didn't seem to have a massive walk in underground freezer full of slimy stuff. Probably disappointed.