Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Tamura said:

I thought Khabib was supposed to be the unstoppable wrestler who's going to take Conor down and smash him, and Conor's only chance is in a short window at the start of the early rounds? If you have to take someone down twenty ones times in a three round fight, that would tend to suggest you have trouble keeping them down no?

Athletes with wrestling chops of their own tend to be able to counteract their opponents on the ground, don't they? Someone with the wrestling background that Trujillo has should be able to pose a threat to Khabib's game, so it should come as no real surprise that he had both the skill and stamina to continually make his way back to his feet.

What is actually impressive is that despite his opponent getting back up numerous times, Khabib just kept on taking him back down. With unstoppable wrestling. Making him an "unstoppable wrestler" as you mention.

You keep saying Conor isn't a one punch knockout artist, yet you seem to be painting Khabib as some Mark Kerr-esque Smashing Machine.

I'm not saying Conor isn't a one-punch knockout artist, the statistics are. Ten UFC bouts, one KO, six TKO's, two decisions. It's right there.

I'm also not painting Khabib as some sort of Mark Kerr-esque smashing machine, you're the first person to mention Mark Kerr in this, or any other discussion about Khabib. I've only ever discussed Khabib's relentless ability to take his opponents down, his insane stamina in doing so, and his iron will. 

I've said that I think any stoppage due to strikes on the deck will have more to do with Conor being fatigued and gassing from having a big lightweight on him for a lot of the fight.

He's had ten fights in the UFC - 2 KOs/TKOs, 2 submissions and 6 decisions. He's certainly a volume striker, but he doesn't seem to be a particularly heavy striker. If you want to use Conor's fight record as a means of arguing your perfectly valid opinion that Khabib is going to win that's fine and dandy, but a bit of consistency would be nice.

Can you point out where i've been inconsistent? I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make in your ramblings.

11 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I think Conor's power will transfer to lightweight from featherweight. In that if he catches you, he won't turn your lights out instantly, but he will set you down a steady slope to being stopped. 

That's the key to him winning, like I said. His accuracy with his initial shot (the amount of times he catches guys around the ear in that spot that fucks up their equilibrium is insane), which causes all manner of issues is his go-to shot and it's proven very effective.

If he catches Khabib with that then it doesn't matter how good a chin he's got, because when the whole arena is spinning and he's on crazy legs the fight is over.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

I'm also not painting Khabib as some sort of Mark Kerr-esque smashing machine, you're the first person to mention Mark Kerr in this, or any other discussion about Khabib. I've only ever discussed Khabib's relentless ability to take his opponents down, his insane stamina in doing so, and his iron will.

While you may not have used his name, I'd say it's a valid analogy given your comment on page 8.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:27 AM, David said:

He has a punchers chance for me, and should be dangerous for the first 2 minutes or so of the first round, and the first minute or so of the 2nd if it goes that long.

"if it goes that long" would suggest you believe it won't when the evidence doesn't support that Khabib is a quick finisher, or Smashing Machine if you will. Only one of his four UFC finishes have been in the first round, out of his ten UFC fights.

1 hour ago, David said:

Athletes with wrestling chops of their own tend to be able to counteract their opponents on the ground, don't they? Someone with the wrestling background that Trujillo has should be able to pose a threat to Khabib's game, so it should come as no real surprise that he had both the skill and stamina to continually make his way back to his feet.

Short answer, no. Longer answer, since amateur wrestling and mixed martial arts have different rules and at times very different techniques still no. While I won't dispute a wrestling background is highly beneficial in mixed martial arts, it's of little relevance to fighting back to your feet which is very much a mixed martial arts skill. One that you might think Conor has been training, that and takedown defence.

1 hour ago, David said:

Can you point out where i've been inconsistent? I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make in your ramblings.

You criticise Conor fans for their admittedly rose-tinted view of his chances, but you're guilty of doing the exact same thing with Khabib.

8 minutes ago, Tamura said:

While you may not have used his name, I'd say it's a valid analogy given your comment on page 8.

An analogy drawn by you, not me. If you wish to compare Khabib to Mark Kerr then fair play, but I don't. Different weight classes, different eras, different styles in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Tamura said:

"if it goes that long" would suggest you believe it won't when the evidence doesn't support that Khabib is a quick finisher, or Smashing Machine if you will. Only one of his four UFC finishes have been in the first round, out of his ten UFC fights.

No, I've mentioned a few times that I believe that Conor's lack of gas tank will come into play, especially on the ground. I even said in my previous post that I see a stoppage more due to Conor eventually not having the energy to fight back than Khabib really beating the breaks off him to the extent where he's seriously beaten up.

10 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Short answer, no. Longer answer, since amateur wrestling and mixed martial arts have different rules and at times very different techniques still no. While I won't dispute a wrestling background is highly beneficial in mixed martial arts, it's of little relevance to fighting back to your feet which is very much a mixed martial arts skill. One that you might think Conor has been training, that and takedown defence.

It's been shown that those with an amateur background are more inclined to train their ground game for MMA than those who don't. That's why you tend to find those with a decent amateur wrestling pedigree veer more towards the ground game. There are exceptions of course, with guys who maybe score a KO or two and fall in love with the standup side of things, but for the most part it is the case. That's why you'll often hear those same guys talk about "going back to my wrestling base" when they've come up short a couple of times after said standup love-in.

Do they bring an ability to fight their way to their feet directly from their amateur background? No, of course not. 

Do they go into MMA training with a wrestling base and quickly incorporate such a skill into their arsenal? Yes, for the most part. It only makes sense that a competitor makes use of the skills and training they've already used to good effect elsewhere, doesn't it?

This aspect of the discussion is in danger of taking us way off course though, when the point I was making was in response to those who looked at the Iaquinta fight and claim that Conor can stuff those shots and keep the fight standing. I was simply pointing to another bout where Khabib took a decent amateur level wrestler down a record amount of times in one fight.

20 minutes ago, Tamura said:

You criticise Conor fans for their admittedly rose-tinted view of his chances, but you're guilty of doing the exact same thing with Khabib.

Nope, not really. If I was claiming that Khabib will walk through McGregor's shots, if I was picking imaginary holes in Conor's standup to try and frame it that Khabib could handle Conor on the feet then you'd be right.

I'm not though, so you're wrong. 

• Paid Members

Dana said on ESPN's First Take that this fight is trending to do 2.5M PPV buys. They're trending stats are never totally accurate, but they're usually a good indicator on how the final number will sort of look like. No big news that this will be huge, but if Conor nails the hype job tonight then you can see them smash that.

• Paid Members

I dunno if this counts as live chat, so apologies if so ...

Well over 400k watching on Youtube now. It's also streaming on UFC.COM, Fight Pass, Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat. That's just the official streams. ESPN have a stream etc don't they? Massive!

He’s a coked up maniac, but fucking hell im in.

2 different breeds of psychopath, right there.

The amount of research he’d done about Khabib’s dad and his connections was impressive.

LETS FUCKING GO!

Police for the faceoff was a fucking tremendous touch

• Paid Members

Aye. That was pretty bloody tremendous from Conor. Bringing up Khabib's association with Putin and what not, calling him a "rat", then calling a heckler from Khabib's camp a "terrorist snitch". "I know a lot about you".

It's about the only time I've seen Khabib slightly rattled.

Sold the fight and his whiskey. Job done.

Archived