Peyton Royce Meltzer comments

Keith Houchen

10 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Except that isn’t at all what he said. This is exactly what he said:

Meltzer: I thought [The IIconics] had a cool act in NXT and on the main roster I don't get a thing out of them. I don't think their promos are particularly good, their wrestling isn't good. I think they even like... I think Peyton Royce's transformation to look more attractive... I don't know, I don't want to say. But I don't think that...

Alvarez: That they were more attractive in NXT?

Meltzer: I thought so, yes. To me, yes. I would say so. But that's neither here nor there.

Alvarez: No one's saying she's unattractive, by the way, everybody.

Meltzer: I know, no [expletive]. Yeah, I didn't say it at all. But she doesn't stand out to me... when she was in NXT she did... she was a lot lighter.

I've listened to the clip. And you read what I wrote again and see how that fits in with the context of what he said. And I'll add that she did do a artificial beauty enhancing surgery, so if the people are having problem about someone discussion how attractive she is.... it's 100% relevant to the action/transformation she did. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

I find it humourous that people on here take real issues with this but then if you dig up their old posts froma few years ago they say things 10x worse.

Are they saying them on a broadcast to thousands of paying listeners? Dave doesn't like boob jobs, that's pulitzer shit right there.

As I mentioned earlier, there are people attacking Dirty Dave because they don't like him.  Likewise, there are people defending him because they like him.   

• Paid Members

I remember years ago (around 2010) and its always stuck with me, because of how annoyed I was listening to it. It was Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing a TNA show, and they began discussing Lacey Von Erich. Dave mentioned that she ran her own business, and Alvarez couldnt get his head around it, that a pretty girl who was a bit shit in the ring could be smart enough to run a business in real life. Just a pig ignorant little cunt.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Dave doesn't like boob jobs, that's pulitzer shit right there. 

He says himself that that is neither here nor there. It's a complete aside to his actual point. Having now finally caught up on this, having listened to what he said and getting an understanding of the context I'm with your analysis,  PUNQ. This is all a complete nothing story. The main point he was making was in relation to her look in the context of her as a professional wrestler.

I don't have any strong feelings about Meltzer either way, but really do feel like he's getting some unfair treatment here.

I will caveat that I say this without any real context around his general manner, having never really listened to him before, or really read much of his writing. So if he's got previous form that changes how I might interpret this then fair play.

13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

He says himself that that is neither here nor there. It's a complete aside to his actual point. Having now finally caught up on this, having listened to what he said and getting an understanding of the context I'm with your analysis,  PUNQ. This is all a complete nothing story. The main point he was making was in relation to her look in the context of her as a professional wrestler.

I think people have different issues with the situation.  As mentioned, some people's issue is Meltzer himself so they're piling on.  What got me wasn't what he said, it was his apology of basically "I think you're fit" showed he didn't grasp what was wrong with what he said.  But this is an industry that had bra and panties matches and the like, and as Ian pointed out, his main ins to the industry aren't exactly known for their progressive nature, so it's not a surprise that the pioneer and main name in wrestling journalism isn't exactly Laurie Penny.

For me, I guess this highlights that women wrestling always has and still is seen as a genre of wrestling instead of wrestling.  And it highlights that women will be defined by their looks, not their look.  I bet a fair few Meltzer fanboys are Gamergaters too.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What got me wasn't what he said, it was his apology of basically "I think you're fit" showed he didn't grasp what was wrong with what he said. 

Yeah, that apology made me laugh because it was so oblivious to what people were upset about. But I think that's even less reason to pile in on him. You back him into a corner, and make him too scared to ask what he did wrong and/or defensive it's not exactly going to help progress, is it? Another day, another completely toxic and hysterical social media shitfest.

1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You back him into a corner, and make him too scared to ask what he did wrong and/or defensive it's not exactly going to help progress, is it?

Well he did say he knew all about the issues of appearance for women in entertainment, then thanked her for bringing it to his attention!  He means well from all of this and I believe he has good intentions.  It's hard to change lifelong held opinions overnight.

Archived