Peyton Royce Meltzer comments

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Didn't The Rock have an operation on his chest at some point? Jericho also. 

Yeah, but they had the procedure to remove tissue from their chests. 

What I'm getting at is the artificial enhancement of the body. I'm sure a fair few of us have heard that urban legend that Stallone had calf, pec and biceps implants, not to mention the stories of bodybuilders getting synth-oil injections (like that Greg guy - The Man Whose Arms Exploded). Therefore, given how much of an emphasis is placed on having a body, and given McMahon's propensity for bodybuilding and his early attempts at establishing a permanent relationship between wrestling and bodybuilding, I'm wondering how many of the hundreds of not thousands of wrestlers there must have been over the years who got to somewhere near the big time got the same sorts of artificial procedures in their attempts, successful or not, to get to or stay in WWF/E.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Fair enough the BBC want to report on it, hopefully next week we’ll see a report on why an alarming amount of women in the WWE get boob jobs... no ?

It's no more alarming and worth reporting than the lads there being on the juice. Drug policies or not, there's some male wrestlers there who are bound to be on the Barry Bonds.

Also, take a look at Hollywood and the entertainment business in general. Steroid use and plastic surgery is no secret and is an active tool for success. It's wrong, and could even be considered as deplorable, but it's nothing new. Reporting on it would be as silly as "News just in! War is bad! Bankers are evil! Government is corrupt!". 

A full-on expose into that side of the business in the form of a documentary style investigation would be best instead of the some click bait article on the BBC. It's not a problem just in wrestling circles, it's everywhere where looks are important. The reason why the issue of women is more heated is because they arguably have more pressure to look and stay a certain way than men. A man can age gracefully (such as myself, handsome salt'n'pepper bastard that I am) but women have extremely harsh standards to live up to.

There are people on Twitter calling Paige and Renee fat for fucks sake. Remember that awful shit with Lilly Allen and all the festering carcass magazines labeling her as 'chubby'? Women have it hard enough without some 'reporter' pillock commenting on it too. If it was framed better, with a more analytical eye and some proper reporting, it maybe would have been fine. Perhaps something like, "Peyton might be learning the hardships of the road right now. Not her fault, and I hope she finds her feet soon, but it's a really tough lifestyle". That's off the top of my head obviously but more can be done here. 

Better yet, is it something even worth commenting on in the first place? Dave needs to be more economical with his thoughts. It's not the 80's anymore, he can't be throwing around 'Junkfood Dog' these days as the business has grown to be more liberal regarding body types, despite the pressure to be on the gear or to get to get implants. Variety is the spice of wrestling and, unless it's reporting on a wrestler's actual health-related weight issues (like Yokozuna or Big Show), it's a needless jab from a cringey, pervy middle-aged man.

• Paid Members

I'm not necessarily on board with the "steroids and plastic surgery are morally wrong" perspective, because as long as people are informed of the consequences, dangers, etc., not being pressured or forced into it, and aren't pushed into it as children, they should still have the right to "enhance" themselves as they see fit. I wouldn't do itlargely because I'd be too lazy and undisciplined for the steroids to be effective, and I'd probably spend half the day fondling my boobs if I got thembut as long as they're not hurting anyone else, they should have the same choice that any adult human being gets.

• Paid Members

Oh absolutely, being informed is part of the battle. If you're educated, sensible and have knowledge of the consequences, go and get'em. It's the culture of pressure to use these short-cuts and modifications, that's the larger issue at hand. Women starving themselves to look a certain way is the issue at hand. People being subject to the awful comments of the general public's ridicule via the anonymity of social media is the issue at hand.

6 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

By that logic I say thousands of words a day. Chances are one of them is going to end up being a racial slur. 

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if the thousands of words you say each day were put into text or recorded, chances are you will say things that cause offence, that you wish you could take back or that you regret. That doesn't make saying these things right, but it should be taken into consideration with such an overblown reaction here. 

• Paid Members

To give Meltzer a little credit, he has apologised without trying to excuse his behaviour. So why someone else would feel the need to is anyone's guess. It wasn't a slip of the tongue. It was an opinion that he held that he was well prepared to comment on. if he didn't already know it was inappropriate, he does now.

It's hardly an overreaction either. He's the most predominant wrestling journalist. That allows him a lot of noteriety and privilege. It also means that if he says something wrong, he's going to be pulled on it by many, many people. Thems the breaks. Fucking hate when celebs or MPs and the like get caught out and we get this over-reaction shit. There's a big reaction because they have a big reach.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if the thousands of words you say each day were put into text or recorded, chances are you will say things that cause offence, that you wish you could take back or that you regret.

This is such absolute cobblers, it really is.

23 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

if he didn't already know it was inappropriate, he does now.

But it's why it's inappropriate is the issue, his Kipling apology showed he didn't know why.  He also apologised by saying he knows the pressures women in the entertainment industry are under, then went on to thank her for alerting him to the issue.  This is what his apology sounded to me.  Well intentioned without realising what the problem was.

• Paid Members

I've not listened to the Observer Radio show regarding this incident yet, but yeah, I'm hoping Dave's apology on there is better than the one he posted on Twitter. It was no different than Hogan's apology to the locker room that Meltzer criticised; completely missing the point on what he should be apologising for, only saying sorry because he knew he should rather than why. Dave's such a weirdo and was completely in the wrong here. He's lucky he does the job he does because I'm forever baffled as to how he would function in the real world.

Still, you just know it's WWE's style to go on about it far past the point that anyone would naturally continue to bash him. I bet we'll have talent continuing to slag him off on Twitter for months.

7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Still, you just know it's WWE's style to go on about it far past the point that anyone would naturally continue to bash him. I bet we'll have talent continuing to slag him off on Twitter for months.

I'm kind of expecting an NXT alumni to be called up to the roster with the gimmick of a seedy dirt sheet reporter who objectifies the women division and acts totally sleazy around them, get's caught Two Shedding it in the locker room, that sort of thing.  He becomes Ronda's stalker and eventually assaults and kidnaps her.  All the women are scared of him as he managed to get the better of the baddest woman on the planet.

He finally gets his comeuppance when he is beaten clean, probably a squash at a PPV by Steph.  Ronda is free and hugs Steph, thanking her for being the best woman on the planet.  The entire women roster flood the ring and hoist Steph above their heads like that time the brown people did to Khaleesi in Game Of Thrones.  Foley in the Jorah role, obviously.

• Paid Members

What’s really obvious on Twitter is that loads of the grief Dave is getting has nothing to do with what he actually said. For as much as this exemplified what an oddball Dave is, it also helped highlight what a huge ratio of meffs there are in the industry, as well as the fan base. Look at this goof, for instance. Imagine asking him what he thought of a movie, book, album or video game. Five stars every time, mate. Art, innit?

35DB0177-59BC-4BF0-A704-5A08F2796E73.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Probably because this wasn't an everyday conversation that was recorded, It was a conversation FOR a recording.  

To me that doesn't make a difference either way. If someone says something offensive, it's offensive. And he did. I just think the reaction to said statement has been overblown.

Archived