Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

This might be one for the telly threads, but I caught the first episode of the Sunderland 'til I die episodes last night. Opening montage alone is fucking exceptional. Just really well made and produced as a whole. You know the story going into it but it's executed brilliantly. I know having a massive budget for the right production values help, but it captures the importance to the city absolutely brilliantly. Worth a watch regardless of your footballing allegiances. 

Criticism of Harry Kane is from rivals of his club and is never based on the content of his character, much like Rooney before him.  Again, imagine if Rooney was black. Holding his team to ransom with wage demands, cheating on his wife with prostitutes, constantly telling officials to fuck off (although I suspect he wouldn't have been protected by the not racist at all FA for that if he wasn't white)  he'd be labelled uppity in a heartbeat.

Kane is a great example of white privilege.  Sure you may have had it hard and you struggled to get where you are, but the colour of your skin didn't add to those troubles.

And you're right about Lewis Hamilton being rightly derided for being a tax dodger, Nigel Mansell and every other top British driver who did the same didn't get the pelters for it, but it could be argued that media was different then.

Just now, W35ty said:

The thing with Hamilton is he acts like a child when he doesn't win.

So did Senna and Schumi. It’s a trait of elite sportsmen across the board. But Hamilton does seem more petulant than others. It’s always the cars fault or another driver not having the respect to let him pass. As brilliant as he is, he’s a right Kevin the teenager. 

• Paid Members

I just think he's a bit of a whingeing nob. Everything he says nowadays feels like it's been put through a PR bullshit generator and on the rare occasions he says anything that isn't as plastic as clingfilm, it's usually because the mask has slipped and he's moaning about something. Hardly anything new there from an F1 perspective. 

UNREPRESENTATIVE PERSONAL ANECDOTE KLAXON. A good friend of mine who is a motor journalist with a lot of links into F1 says Hamilton (and especially his team) are mostly detested on the paddock and that he's often an arse in person. 

Edited by Gus Mears

8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

And why do you think the man who came second is such a loathsome figure? Is it because he's seen as uppity?

That's bollocks. Don't try to suggest that he's racist because he doesn't like someone who is black. There are genuine reasons someone might not like him.

1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

Don't try to suggest that he's racist because he doesn't like someone who is black. 

He didn't, he is saying that its one of the reasons some people don't like him.  Hamilton is indeed a loathsome figure but you can guarantee that some people would say that it's a typical black man attitude.  The same people who laughed at this.

sport-graphics-2008_689791a

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He didn't, he is saying that its one of the reasons some people don't like him.  Hamilton is indeed a loathsome figure but you can guarantee that some people would say that it's a typical black man attitude.  The same people who laughed at this.

sport-graphics-2008_689791a

By asking if it's because he's "uppity", it's putting him on the backfoot to try defend that he's not racist and doesn't hold that view. I'm pretty certain he doesn't dislike him for racist reasons - it'd be better to just ask why he finds him loathsome if they're curious.

2 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

By asking if it's because he's "uppity", it's putting him on the backfoot to try defend that he's not racist and doesn't hold that view.

Not going to try and speak for Butch, but I thought he was meaning the general public as to why someone who finished second in a popularity contest is loathed in equal measure.  But I agree with him, if Hamilton wasn't black, he wouldn't be as hated by the general public because the general public and society are racist.

I hate him because he made some very transphobic comments and was very trite when it came to his apology. It’s got nothing to do with his skin colour and I’m sure butch didn’t mean it that way. Having two half Indian sisters who grew up being subjected to every slur under the sun would make me a bit of a confused racist...let’s all move on shall we?

That Sunderland doc is pretty good, if awfully edited in places, and a bit too slick. It’s no “bring your fucking dinner” but then what is?

• Moderators
13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Here is a lad who was constantly told he wasn’t good enough, rejected at an early age, who fought and fought to improve himself and his game through sheer hard work and dedication, and in an age where clubs can sign ready made strikers, worked his way up through the academy and captained his country at a World Cup. He should be applauded.

At which point has he had to do anthing different to anyone else? That tends to be the road into football for young players, and to be fair he's had it far easier than a David Brooks who had to go to City to the Blades and work up, or a James Vardy who had to claw for everything from non-league. Harry Kane is a Great White Hope. He's not had to suffer anything which isn't a working hazard.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

By asking if it's because he's "uppity", it's putting him on the backfoot to try defend that he's not racist and doesn't hold that view. I'm pretty certain he doesn't dislike him for racist reasons - it'd be better to just ask why he finds him loathsome if they're curious.

If you don't get it you're part of the problem. I didn't ask if he was uppity, just imtimating that it's a common complaint and you got defensive as dogshit.

Edited by PowerButchi