Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Lovely to see Celtic win tonight, beating Leipzig 2-1. Tremendous performance from us although things got uncomforable when Mulumbu came on for Forrest for the last quarter. That last 10 minutes were especially nervewracking but we held on! Great feeling to have beaten a European top team at Celtic Park again, goodness knows it's been a while. For all the wonders Rodgers has done for Celtic in our domestic game, our European form has been very much a damp squib so this result was much needed. It's still an uphill slog to qualify but nights like these are ones you have to relish.

• Paid Members

Leipzig a top European team!?!? I'd say managing to score three away against Spartak Moscow (but still losing) after being out in the wilderness for six years is probably the best performance.

No disrespect to Celtic, but Celtic should be getting out that group easier. As you say, it seems to be a struggle.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Spartak who are in the middle of a terrible run and have just sacked their manager? At the weekend they were getting pelters from their own fans for the whole game. 

RB Leipzig, and Salzburg for that matter, are both Champions League level teams. That was a fantastic result for Celtic in Thursday. Much better than throwing away the lead 3 times against a Europa League level team who are on a dreadful run. Rangers decent run in Europe is papering over the huge cracks that still exist in that team.

Edited by MungoChutney
Fat fingers

1 hour ago, MungoChutney said:

RB Leipzig, and Salzburg for that matter, are both Champions League level teams. 

They clearly aren’t though.

RB Leipzig... One appearance in the Champions League last year which had them finishing 3rd in the group whilst Salzburg who seem to be in the Europa League every season, 

If you’re comparing them to the likes of Spartak Moscow and Villarreal(who for me are better then the 3 other mentioned teams anyways) 

If we’re comparing both Glasgow team performances in this competition then Rangers are clearly doing the better job of it at the moment considering Celtic are the better team.

That wasn't the debate. The issue was the idea that Rangers losing 4-3 to Spartak was a better result than Celtic beating Leipzig. Rubbish.

Both RB teams are a good bit better than Spartak for me, closer with Villareal. They're also better than a chunk of Champions League teams for my money. The new qualification system actually seems designed to prove that albeit it hasn't been as evident this season as UEFA hoped it would be.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

RB Leipzig, and Salzburg for that matter, are both Champions League level teams. 

Why are they playing in Europa then?

To be fair, they're both pretty decent teams but let's not go over the top. Also don't forget Leipzig were missing arguably their three most influential players in Werner, Forsberg and Poulsen against Celtic.

Edited by PunkStep

37 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

How could anyone argue that a loss is a better result than a win? The point was about performance.

Genuine question from someone who doesn’t follow the Scottish game - how is Gerrard thought of by the Rangers fans?

Point stands on performance as well. I'd day they're split. Most think he's doing well but a few think there are signs of inexperience at times.

32 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Why are they playing in Europa then?

To be fair, they're both pretty decent teams but let's not go over the top. Also don't forget Leipzig were missing arguably their three most influential players in Werner, Forsberg and Poulsen against Celtic.

Because of the way the system works? Obviously there are teams in Europa who are better than some of the teams in the CL. Both RB teams are examples of this in my view. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

How could anyone argue that a loss is a better result than a win? The point was about performance.

Genuine question from someone who doesn’t follow the Scottish game - how is Gerrard thought of by the Rangers fans?

I'd have hoped to have seen some better domestic results. Beating Celtic a few times would be good. He stands the fuck up for his players and the club though. I don't know. A mixed view. Maybe next season you will get a real good view of what he's been doing.

Edited by bAzTNM#1