5 star wrestling

matty_kissarmy

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They'll be flying them in every week. Just looking on cagematch, Rey and Morrison both worked shows in the US a couple of days after last week's 5 Star show, and I think Morrison's booked in Mexico for AAA this weekend.

• Paid Members

Better than last week I thought. The lighting of the crowd was better though it did show how few people were there and I'm sure that they didn't really want the shot of people leaving as Swagger did his staredown with Gibson at the end. 

I'm not sure I understand the logic of not putting Jester on a show because he is "Unpredictable" yet advertising the UK Hooligans for next week. Having seen Roy a number of times over the years a round of fucks is never that far away. 

So on the whole as a product better but still not great. They must have lost money again as that crowd didn't look any bigger than last week. It would be interesting to know if ticket sales picked up after last week's show. 

• Paid Members

Ticket sales wise, I think part of the problem is that they have the same imports on every show.

If your main selling point is "we have Rey Mysterio!" when you're in Newcastle, but not when you're in Manchester, you would (in theory) get people travelling to go to the show with Rey on it. As it stands, with everyone being on every show, where's the incentive to travel when you can just wait for the promotion to bring the import closer to you?

So instead of using a name like Rey Mysterio - bearing in mind they had him on a show less than a week after he was in the Royal Rumble - to draw people from all over the country to one big show, they're taking Rey all over the country with them, which is only ever going to result in cutting down an already small, niche fanbase.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:55 PM, hallicks said:

Any ideas what kind of viewership numbers last week's show did? 

BARB doesn't have weekly ratings for freesports. Just a monthly so have to wait till end of month. I know Herbie used to have access but not seen him on here for ages

Thought Mysterio - Haskins was really good and am liking Zack Gibson as a heel.
I look forward to seeing the Hooligans next week as they are always fun.

Only gripe is I have it on series link and for the past 2 weeks it has missed the start of the show for some reason. :/

Oh, and they should run a show at Hull Ice Arena. :)

From my own personal experience to make a product as good as it possibly can be (no matter what size show), you have to go to great lengths to ensure that nothing is left to chance & the more attention to detail gives you a lot better chance of putting on a great show. From getting the seating right, to making sure the room temperature is right (cold venue = cold crowd) & everything else under your control. Not to mention having the right people, with the right experience doing a job they are qualified to do.

I did not enjoy 5 Star Wrestling because:

The crowd was a bit rubbish

The promos were a bit rubbish

The camera work was a bit rubbish

The booking was a bit rubbish

The commentary was a bit rubbish

The ropes were a bit rubbish etc. etc.

Has anyone noticed a pattern emerging? With the money been thrown around here, there was a real opportunity to put out an excellent product. IMO their biggest mistakes are the size of the venues & rebooking of the imported  talent on a weekly basis, when it could be recorded. It also breaks my heart to see true talent like Rampage Brown not given the best opportunity to showcase his skills in a better environment :(

I'm surprised with everyone's reservations with this show. Its very early days. You need to use the imports to gain an interest. Every man and his dog on here knows an El Ligero and a Dave Mastiff. However if you ask a regular Joe public if they know of El Ligero you would get a blank expression to that if you asked who was Rey Mysterio! 

Its a slow burn process bring the yanks in to get people watching then over time as your British stars become household names they then become the main attractions. Look what they are doing with Zack Gibson. Its happening we just need to wait. I think its very ambitious that they are using the big arenas and its nice to set the bar high. I suppose even though they aren't drawing much it certainly does look a million times better than say using a working mens club or leisure centre!

On the money side I don't care if the promoters losing his arse on the show, its his money so why should we care?

On the rope front having set up countless rings over many years I can tell you they were not at fault but the ring suppliers. When you make new ropes you need to stretch the hell out of them to get them to tighten enough for ring ropes, tightening turnbuckles can only get you so far. I would bet that when the ring was set up they seemed tight but sagged as the show went on as they hadn't been stretched. We used to use two tractors to get them right.. Before they even leave the unit to go to a venue for the first set up. 

I for one would like this to grow. I actually like that they are using regular imports on each show.. it gains continuity. They are doing a weekly tv show not one show a month or every couple of months.   

One thing that does float my boat with 5star is the belts.. They are bloody sexy!

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Freddyjoe said:

I'm surprised with everyone's reservations with this show. Its very early days. You need to use the imports to gain an interest. Every man and his dog on here knows an El Ligero and a Dave Mastiff. However if you ask a regular Joe public if they know of El Ligero you would get a blank expression to that if you asked who was Rey Mysterio! 

Its a slow burn process bring the yanks in to get people watching then over time as your British stars become household names they then become the main attractions. Look what they are doing with Zack Gibson. Its happening we just need to wait. I think its very ambitious that they are using the big arenas and its nice to set the bar high. I suppose even though they aren't drawing much it certainly does look a million times better than say using a working mens club or leisure centre!

This hasn't been true for a long time. In this very thread, people have used the examples of Progress and ICW to point exactly why imports are not absolutely necessary to build up interest. They may have used the odd one, but for the most part they've used home-grown talent, and built up a fan base with good marketing, good booking, good production, and good fan service. Consequently, Progress have run Alexandra Palace, and filled it. ICW's big events get sell-out crowds in the low thousands. Neither of them run WMCs or leisure centres any more, if they ever did.

Anyway, people's objections aren't to the use of imports, it's to the sheer number of them, and the use of them in complete dead-end matches, i.e. facing each other instead of being used to build up British talent from the start. These objections aren't unfounded either, we've seen it all before: 5 Star aren't doing anything new, they're just doing what early 1PW did, and that didn't work. Even 1PW dropped that model after a year. So far, the business models being validated by their success are those of ICW, Progress, PCW (who do use imports but do not go overboard with them), and maybe WhatCulture, whose downfall was down to other factors rather than their business model. It seems to me that 5 Star aren't leading a charge or pushing boundaries, they're just trying to buy a bypass to the success other companies have achieved without putting in the hard work of actually building trust with their fans. 

As to the whole "I don't care whether they lose money or not" thing, we've been through this: past precedent from debacles like GWF and WrestlExpress tells us this has the potential to be damaging to the business, that's why people object. And even if that isn't a problem, we're allowed to state that as our objection as to why we don't want to watch: we don't want to get emotionally involved in a product we think is likely to not even be around in 6 or 12 months.

Sure, if 5 Star turns out to defy our expectations and end up being one of the premier wrestling companies in this country, great: that's one more option we have, and something to appreciate. But things aren't same as back in the early 2000s: we have a lot more choice now, and no company is owed our enthusiasm and fandom just because they're British and put on wrestling, they've got to earn that. And, quite frankly, history is not on their side; long-time fans of the British wrestling scene have been bitten too many times, and they're understandably more than twice shy. It's on 5 Star to prove they're not another shit-show, using a model that has been known to end up in a shit-show.

Archived