5 star wrestling

matty_kissarmy

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jado, Gedo and Super Delfin all came from the dojo "opened" by Takeshi Kitano, and were part of a stable along with Riki Choshu - he was supposed to come in as a major heel for a feud with Inoki, but the fans hated the idea, not wanting celebrity crossover stuff in their wrestling. Couple that with switching the advertised main event to Vader squashing Inoki in five minutes in his debut, in Inoki's first job in years, and the riot becomes a little understandable. 

The riot got NJPW banned from Sumo Hall, they were moved to a worse TV timeslot, and Takeshi was taken off TV not longer afterwards when either he or one of his entourage beat up a reporter. As far as I know he was never used in NJPW again, though he cast NJPW wrestlers in a couple of his movies. It didn't exactly go well - which is a shame, as I think Takeshi Kitano would have been a great fit for pro-wrestling if things had worked out better.

More on topic for Mikey Whiplash's Tweet, it's hardly an even balance between the two. Most of the Tweets on that hashtag are either from the promotion or people working there, or else neutral "is it any good?" type Tweets or live-Tweeting. Beyond that, there's some criticism, and some photos from the shows, and then, sure, there are photos from families at the show saying they enjoyed it. But what does that tell you? Of the small numbers of people they're able to draw, an even smaller number have felt inclined to Tweet about it? It doesn't really tell us anything.

5 Star say they are aware of it and are getting it sorted. Apparently, it’s just a mistake and they are still live from Plymouth this week.

Had it been a channel of some repute, that would be that but all I’ll say is, let’s see.

• Paid Members

British Basketball is already on Freesports, in case you didn't know.

I'm in Plymouth on Thursday, and was considering popping down to see what's going on. Might be an even more interesting situation if the show's been cancelled and they're waiting until the day to tell people again.

• Paid Members

How do the ratings for other sports look on Freesports? I've spoken to loads of people this past few weeks about the channel, and the vast majority didn't even realise it existed.

• Paid Members

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-viewing-summary/

According to BARB figures, for the week of 29th January to 4th February, a 0.02% share, with an average weekly viewing of less than an hour per person.

It's an equal share to Sky Sports F1 - during a month that there's no Formula 1.

• Paid Members

So the total viewers that week were 382000. The remaining arena dates add up to a capacity of somewhere in the region of 87000. So you need nearly  1 in 4 of the people who watched the channel all week to go to your shows for a sell out. Can't fault the ambition. 

Archived