Cyborg vs Holly UFC 219

Baigg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, the_mole said:

Its Twitter, people talk shit on that, just look at what Tony Ferguson said as well, just after the Khabib fight, they are trying to keep their name out there or get offered more money.

Yeah but in Conor's case, it's just the same old tripe about how much he's earning comparatively to everyone else, and how much of a draw he knows he is to the company. It's not endearing in any way at all. He's not talking shit to anyone as much as he is just bragging about his cheques. Everyone gets that he's loaded as fuck by this point. Just makes him come off like a dickhead at this point.

I think Khabib vs Ferguson is the fight to make. Despite Khabib's long layoffs, it shouldn't be too difficult to make. Yes, Ferguson is rumoured to have turned down that fight for UFC 219, but that was with fairly shirt notice (1 month). From a sporting perspective, it's the most intriguing fight in the sport at the minute. Who wouldn't want to see that fight? Only Miocic vs Ngannou rivals it. 

Up until recently, I felt that GSP vs McGregor was the way in which the UFC would go. GSP's camp seem up for it, and it's a fight that would appeal to Moneybags McGregor for obvious reasons. However, Dana said last week that if GSP fights again - it will be against either Woodley or Whittaker, and dismissed GSP fighting McGregor. Forget the Whittaker fight, that is not happening. GSP clearly does not want to fight at 185lbs again. The Woodley fight might happen. Woodley has wanted the fight for a while. Just last month, he claimed that he would vacate his Welterweight title for the GSP fight. The only question is whether GSP would take that fight. 

It's not a case of GSP and McGregor becoming too big for the UFC's own good, it's more that both men have become aware of their own worth relative to the rest of the roster, and are inclined to play hard ball with Dana if necessary. Dana most long for the days of Chuck Liddell in some ways - a guy who was very easy to negotiate with, even when he became a massive star.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I think Khabib vs Ferguson is the fight to make. Despite Khabib's long layoffs, it shouldn't be too difficult to make

Absolutely. Give Conor a few proposed dates for the Ferguson fight, if he refuses to commit to one then just make Khabib/Tony. Strip Conor of the belt & he can come back for a big exhibition fight or as #1 contender if/when he's ready. If he's cool with his legacy being the bloke who had 2 belts taken off him because he refused to defend them then that's fine. He can sell whiskey & be rich. Nobody ever talks about or remembers purses/PPV points etc when they're remembering fighters, just wins & losses.

Cyborg seemed to call out Megan Anderson for the Perth card, but it seems like a slim chance now. Putting aside any potential injury issues (or maybe due to it), UFC added a couple of undercard fights to UFC 221, bringing the current bout total to 12. I suppose they could add a 13th, but it's not very common, is it?

Feeling pretty shafted by the Perth card, considering it's a PPV, first time in the area and they promised to stack the card. It's a great main event followed by pretty standard Fight Night fare. :(

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

It's what you deserve for producing a boring bastard like Whittaker. On his own, he's made the MW division less interesting.

I didn't produce him, I'm not his daddy :laugh: Never understood the boring tag for Whittaker. Personality-wise, he's no Conor, but who is? Stipe Miocic is every bit as straight-laced as Whittaker, but no one gets on his case for it.

Whittaker produces exciting fights, that's all I care about.

• Paid Members

Following that performance, Conor should do everything he can to avoid Khabib. It doesn't appear it'll end well for him.

Mendes was able to take Conor down with ease and Mcgregor offered little to nothing from the bottom. What would Khabib do!? Conor's best chances would be range, power and speed but Barbosa hit Khabib often and with power and Khabib just walked through it.

1 hour ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I didn't produce him, I'm not his daddy :laugh: Never understood the boring tag for Whittaker. Personality-wise, he's no Conor, but who is? Stipe Miocic is every bit as straight-laced as Whittaker, but no one gets on his case for it.

Whittaker produces exciting fights, that's all I care about.

Yeah, I don't get the hate surrounding Whittaker either! Maybe it's just me, but it's refreshing to have somebody these days who will fight any fucker, won't whinge about his cheque, doesn't try and fake trash talk his opponents, and never has a boring fight. That's enough for someone to do alright by me. Obviously he isn't the most exciting fighter in the world, but it's nice to see somebody who doesn't put on a totally obvious act in the hope of adding a few extra buyers/viewers to their fight. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, OzExile said:

I'd prefer to see Nunes at 125 than 145, she's rather small isn't she?

Nah Nunes is one of the bigger 135ers, isn't she? She's pretty built and broad for a...broad. She looked like a beast next to Ronda and Miesha in their fights. I think she'd struggle like fuck to make 125. She said herself a few months back that 125 would be a possibility but also that she did a test cut and it was a nightmare. I can't see it myself. 

As for Whittaker, I really like him but I wasn't happy that he cocked up that Bisping vs Romero fight. They were planning to do TUF and everything for that as well. I'm still gutted about that. Now the ship has sailed and we'll never see it. All because of Robert Whittaker and him being so good at the fighting lark. 

• Paid Members

Conor McGregor never wants to get in there with Khabib. The wheels fall of the bandwagon in spectacular fashion if he does. Scary performance.

Not a great show, couple of decent fights scattered across it but some poor ones as well, including some real poor performances...i did win £77 off an acca though so im happy.

I think he does much better against Tony Ferguson as he leaves his chin out there but Conor could clip Khabib, especially as he likes to counter punch guys coming forward, which Khabib would do for the takedown.

Khabib can't fight between May & September because of Ramadan and I think Tony Ferguson is injured right now, if they can get a deal together I would be looking at Conor Vs Tony Ferguson in March/April time and if they can get Nate or even Eddie Alvarez to fight Khabib in the mean time, although getting Nate would cost a shit load of money, or he can wait til after September for a shot.

Archived