Poppies

Nexus

Poppies  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's that time of year. The time of year where you're disrespecting the troops if you don't wear a poppy. The time of year where we have a competition to see who can remember the most. Do you have a poppy on your lapel? On your car? On your clothes?

Already Moeen Ali has had shit for his poppy falling off in the team photo before they flew to the Ashes. 

Matt Haig (author of Reasons to Stay Alive) is currently getting pelted on Twitter for saying he doesn't want to wear a poppy. 

I wear one, partly due to the fact I'm a History teacher and partly due to social pressures, but I am not bothered if people don't wear a poppy. I also hate the poppy fascism we have nowadays, as seen on Twitter and Facebook. 

Also it's a travesty it's been co-opted by cunts like Britain First, and I really, really hate those people who add frames to their Facebook or Twitter accounts. 

• Paid Members

I normally put money into the tin and chat to the old chap by the door of Morrisons every time I pop in, but never take a poppy and don't ware one. I don't see the point of that part. 

It's interesting to see how little it is known here, given the prevalence of UK tv and the mandatory instruction for all on the box to ware one, with some people I know. 

• Paid Members

The first two weeks of November are great because it's my daughter's birthday and you have nice fireworks display.

On the other hand, you have these tiresome fucking poppy rows. I HATE the obligation you feel that that you HAVE to wear one. Is that what our soldiers fought through two world wars for- petty squabbling against people's right to wear or not wear one? Nah.

• Paid Members

I don't wear them or donate to the British Legion. Just how I've been brought up.

My Grandad fought in WW2 and his dad in WW1, my Grandad is seriously against the BL after they pretty much left the family homeless and scrapping for food post WW1 (Haig fund as it was) after making all manner of false promises to the family.

He's never worn one, he's against all the parades that happen and he choses not to remember the horrors that people faced, before receiving no help post war.

A lot of his old buddies felt exactly the same too.

Out of respect for me Grandad I will never wear one.

From 6 years back.  I won't be wearing one.  I saw a Newsthump or Daily Mash story along the lines of "Man who criticises virtue signalling all year insists you notice his massive poppy", and that sums it up for me.

Plus the fallen in the first world war didn't die for our freedom, they died propping up an egotistical dick waving competition who didn't care how many poor people died.  Thankfully, things have changed now, haven't they?

• Paid Members

Nope, I’ll never wear one as it has turned from remembering those that have died in battle, in to a UKIP esque, proud to be British, let’s point at foreigners and call them out bollocks.

Unfortunately, in the area that I live it kind of goes hand in hand with putting the st. George up in your window. It now has a similar connotation and it’s all media spun political wankery. It’s a real shame that it is, but it unfortunately is.

I’m capable of remembering the dead without needing to be 100% British beef.

If you want to wear one I have no problem with that at all. I do have a problem with people having issues with those who don’t want to wear one.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

From 6 years back.  I won't be wearing one.  I saw a Newsthump or Daily Mash story along the lines of "Man who criticises virtue signalling all year insists you notice his massive poppy", and that sums it up for me.

Plus the fallen in the first world war didn't die for our freedom, they died propping up an egotistical dick waving competition who didn't care how many poor people died.  Thankfully, things have changed now, haven't they?

http://newsthump.com/2017/11/04/man-who-spent-all-year-mocking-virtue-signallers-pretty-keen-for-you-to-notice-his-massive-poppy/

• Paid Members

People have fought and died to give us the freedom to choose whether to wear one or not.  I choose to wear one to remember that, but if you don’t, that’s fine and completely up to you, as that’s what they sacrificed for.

• Paid Members

I don't wear one. I can't say it is out of any particular fear of seeming like the sort of person that attends EDL marches in Barnsley, although I am aware that groups like that are attempting to seize the poppy as a symbol, much as the BNP did (actually kind of successfully) with the Union Jack. I also sleep through the silence in November almost every year. 

I haven't ever had somebody call me out for not wearing one, though. I suppose because I haven't made a point of saying I don't publicly. 

I buy the enamel badge ones they do with the year on and I like the WWI centenary thing they do with them that has 1917 on top and 2017 on bottom for example. I put them with my enamel badge collection because I like those ones. I was a Sea Cadet for a few years and obviously, I did the Remembrance Sunday Parade and on a couple of occasions, I did the Festival Of Rememberence in the evening after. I would help with the collection before the silence passing a basket around. You'd get all sorts of amounts. Some would stick in a couple of quid and a couple I had on one of them even put a £20 note in. I remember the last parade I did before I left (due to college and the fact I was getting too old for it and didn't see myself as a staff) it rained towards the end and it eventually got really heavy. The Juniors Division, bless them were soaked. It was just as well it happened near the end because they were apparently preparing to dismiss the parade early because of the downpour anyway my CO mentioned the next time he was in. Obviously, he was pleased with how we handled that day.

I just don't like the people who seem to think it's acceptable to use it as a weapon towards people who choose not to. It does get on my pip and it doesn't really help these far right groups fanning those flames for them.

No, because I am Irish. And I can't wear something like that after some of the atrocities committed in my country by British soldiers. If it represented soldiers, some of whom were Irish, who died in WW1 and WW2 it's a different story, but it doesn't.

If some British people, and I understand it's a vocal minority, cannot understand why someone like James McClean doesn't want to wear a poppy, then I despair for their ignorance and myopia. 

An Irish PNE player, Alan Browne, getting dogs abuse for not wearing one, when he couldn't, because his jersey didn't have a GPS tracker.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with anyone, Irish included, who wants to wear one, but for goodness sake, please respect what these soldiers died for; they died so people like me could have the freedom to choose whether to wear one or not, without being badgered, ostracized or racially abused for it.

I don't wear one on my clothes but I've got one featured in a tattoo. Truth be told, I didn't know about the "Britain First, I'm more English than you so I wear a poppy" thing until this thread. That piece is mainly tribute to my granddad who died last year who was a navy man and a WWI historian who's life's obsession was the first world war, more than general remembrance.

Poppies are still seeminglyseen as a mark of respect round here and a remembrance thing rather than some dickswinging about how patriotic you are.

• Paid Members

I will buy one because I always have. Since I was a little kid to contribute to the BL and to remember those fallen in battle. Thaqt's still what it means to me and I won't let it be taken away by any cunt.

The pissing contest over them does my head in though. The fact that anyone who goes near a live TV show has to be wearing one. Football clubs lining up to be the best rememberers. Muppets wearing suits of poppies or whatever. Seriously gets on my tits. Complete lack of class.

I do enjoy the irony of people who bang on about the fight for our freedom but woe betide anyone who chooses not to wear a poppy. idiots.

Archived