Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

This is what I assumed it was. Didn’t even think of dodgy betting. 

You see it from a better angle in this vid.

The betting comes more in the semi pro stuff. The losers can make more money for taking a dive, as well as not really getting beaten up.

Meant to post this video, though the on with a ref checking a kick on a downed opponent is cool.

Edited by Rey_Piste

• Paid Members

I never thought of Thai fights being fixed. I have heard about the 1st round thing where they light spar so people get their money down. I think John Wayne Parr spoke about it quite abit on the JRE. 

I know they have showcase Muay Thai fights which are completely staged, sometimes the 'KO's' get shared around social media, but its all 100% a show.

My old muay thai teacher spent 2 years in Thailand. After his third 1st round KO win he found himself surrounded by a lot of men armed with large knives who clued him in. He was "encouraged" to slow it down a bit and when the time came to it he was supposed to take a dive. Although he left the country before the time came to it.

• Paid Members

Saw that earlier, great stuff. Never forget them introducing Ruas at an old school PPV where he was in the audience and the graphic had him listed as "The King of the Streets", and thinking he must be the toughest guy in the world.

MarcoRuas.jpg

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Saw that earlier, great stuff. Never forget them introducing Ruas at an old school PPV where he was in the audience and the graphic had him listed as "The King of the Streets", and thinking he must be the toughest guy in the world.

Whilst some of those credentials in the old school UFC's are a bit sus (think Thomas Ramirez and his being "undefeated in over 200 fights on the islands") I had little doubt that Ruas really was "King of the Streets" back in the day.

• Paid Members

I remember reading a really good and fairly in-depth interview with Ruas, must be about 10 years ago now. I wish I could find a link to it. He went into loads of detail about the BJJ vs Luta Livre violent battles, (which predate MMA) and his fights in the UFC and Pride etc. But the bit that stuck with me the most was him talking about his daughter bringing boyfriends home. Can you fucking imagine going to meet the family for the first time and Marco Ruas answers the door? Anyway, he had zero respect for these shandy drinking wimps his daughter brought home. He referred to one of them only as ‘The Mute’ because the guy wouldn’t speak at the house. Poor prick was probably terrified. 

4407D225-0FCD-4EC2-9BDA-2FE6FB7230AA.jpeg

“Son, what are your intentions in seeing my daughter?”

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Seems a bit unfair, though. There probably wouldn't have been that many guys she could date who were as hard as Ruas, and would he have trusted anyone she brought home who was?

• Paid Members

anyone been following this Joshua Fabia/Diego Sanchez thing? one of the weirdest stories in MMA for a while. Fabia's completely tapped, and goes on the defensive against Thomas without being provoked. Fake martial arts has infiltrated the mainstream in 2020, Fabia sounds like a complete fraud, as well as being a bit of a prick.

It sounds like Diego has been brainwashed by this guy, Diego even speaks like Fabia now, the speech patterns are very similar. Just odd, fascinating stuff.