Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I wonder if Big Timmy vs Cabbage would make the list? 

I loved that fight. It was the human equivalent of that Simpson's episode where Homer found out he was great at boxing because of his overly thick skull.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

I wonder if Big Timmy vs Cabbage would make the list? 

To be fair, that’s one Tim Sylvia fight I remember actually really enjoying.

I don’t know about another decade Top 25. Don’t know if I can be arsed. But the fact that 2000-09 period would cover Pride’s best era plus more Strikeforce, WEC, even Affliction and EliteXC...And the prime years of Wandy, Cro Cop, Nog, Liddell, Penn etc. It’d be an interesting time to cover. Don’t have a clue what would make my top spots. With 2010-19 it was obviously more fresh in the memory so I already pretty much knew my Top 5 before even looking up any cards. 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

To be fair, that’s one Tim Sylvia fight I remember actually really enjoying.

His fight with Big Nog wasn't bad from what I recall. 

And while I was not actively following MMA at the time, it probably was shocking when he knocked out Ricco in early 03. 

• Paid Members

It's odd as the HW division around that time is now spoken of as being the lowest point for the UFC but I've got fond memories of the Arlovski run that followed. The talk was all about the Arlovski vs Fedor dream match at that time. 

Aye, after Fedor beat Cro Cop in August of 2005, the next dream fight at heavyweight was indeed Fedor vs Arlovski. The idea was that Arlovski would defect to Pride once his UFC contract expired. 

Sylvia threw a spanner in the works by beating Arlovski in April of 2006. 

• Paid Members

Croation kickboxing legend Branko Cikatic has died. I know very little about his career but i remember the name being synomonous with classic era K-1. He was actually the first K-1 Grand Prix Champion in '93. Had a ridiculous record of 89-9 in kickboxing with 82 KO's.

I remember him most from Pride 2 when he fought Mark Kerr in one of messiest examples of a clash of styles in MMA history. If anyone needs proof of how confused fighters were in MMA could be at that time, thats the fight to watch.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I remember him most from Pride 2 when he fought Mark Kerr in one of messiest examples of a clash of styles in MMA history. If anyone needs proof of how confused fighters were in MMA could be at that time, thats the fight to watch.

Amazingly, I watched that fight the other month. Here it is:

It's funny to hear Bas act like he's calling the fight live, when you can clearly see him in Kerr's corner and in the ring after the fight. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, early Pride is where I remember him from. The Kerr fight specifically but without checking I think he had one or two more fights in Pride after that. Watched them when I was doing those Pride reviews a while back. He seemed a right nutcase from what I remember. Shame to hear he’s gone though. Any cause of death given? 

12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, early Pride is where I remember him from. The Kerr fight specifically but without checking I think he had one or two more fights in Pride after that. Watched them when I was doing those Pride reviews a while back. He seemed a right nutcase from what I remember. Shame to hear he’s gone though. Any cause of death given? 

"Several different ailments"

It sounds like he has been ill for a while. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease a few years ago according to his Wiki page. 

• Paid Members

I won’t bother bumping the 248 thread but here’s Teddy Atlas’ reaction to the Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk fight;

It’s cool to see how Teddy’s warmed to MMA in recent years. I’m sure he used to be quite critical so him praising this fight so much and having the likes of Poirier and Masvidal on his podcast last year is nice to see. 

• Paid Members

I’m guessing it’ll be put on hold now. I saw something earlier about Fury vs Wilder 3 being pushed back and that was scheduled for mid July. Now it’s being pencilled in for October apparently. Really can’t see this DAZN thing kicking off in just over a month. And there probably won’t be any fights to stream on there anyway for a bit. Canelo isn’t fighting in May now, is he? I’m guessing him and Saunders was the plan to properly launch DAZN over here.