Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

An old classic MMA story here. Pat Miletich reminisces about the time Lee Murray sparked Tito Ortiz in a London alleyway then tapdanced on his massive head...

I remember Rogan claiming that there was footage of the incident a few years later. I think he made those comments on the UFC 46 broadcast in January of 2004. 

Yet, if a tape of the incident did indeed exist, surely it would have been leaked by now. Unless Dana is using it as his own personal wanking material on lonely nights, or doesn't want to release it for whatever reason. 

Edited by jimufctna24

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Anyone Murray being front page news before that too for the time he got stabbed in the street in London? 

Yep. That story made the front pages of at least one of the red tops. 

I have been fascinated by Murray ever since I received a copy of UFC 46 back in 2005. Firstly, he was a very good prospect. How many other fighters won a round against a prime Anderson Silva on the feet? Secondly, he was an utter mad lad. And even if I loathe to admit it, I did find him quite likeable before the extent of his madness became clear. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Lee Murray's reputation is ridiculous. Being arrested and sent down in Morocco did more for him than any MMA fight ever could in all honesty. He's now held in some mystical lore as someone who's discussed in hushed tones.

In reality, he was an upper-mid level MMA fighter. Nothing more. Eight career bouts and he never really looked anything special in any of them. 

If he'd been retained by the UFC back in 2004 he'd likely have ended up losing to the likes of Matt Lindland and Evan Tanner. Rich Franklin and Robbie Lawler would have handled him as well.

• Paid Members

Well we'll never know, but he'll always be filed in the 'what if...' category. He had potential no doubt, a quick win over Jorge Rivera and a competitive loss to a close to his prime Anderson Silva isnt bad going, was only 26 too. 

Anyone else worth sticking in the same category? Ben Askren would have say there but we know how that turned out.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Ben Askren would have say there but we know how that turned out.

Askren simply came into the UFC too late. He retired after fighting Aoki in ONE, but was offered the chance to fight in the UFC almost a year and a half later. He wasn't old age-wise, but he was fucked physically by that point.

That he's had a hip replacement at 35 years old says it all. 

He's not just retired from MMA, while still running classes in a gym or whatever, he's done with everything. 

I'd have loved to see him in the UFC in 2013 when he left Bellator. 

• Paid Members

Move over Dana. The UFC needs to hire this guy as their new promoter.

”£40 gets you ringside. You could end up covered in blood, sweat, tears, piss and biscuits. Eh?”

”...he’s a bare knuckle virgin! Our Kathleen’s arse isn’t.”

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 4/23/2020 at 3:55 PM, David said:

Askren simply came into the UFC too late. He retired after fighting Aoki in ONE, but was offered the chance to fight in the UFC almost a year and a half later. He wasn't old age-wise, but he was fucked physically by that point.

Yep, if he had never came over though he would have gone down as the ultimate 'what if' guy.

File Ricardo Arona under that category. What about Cole Konrad?