Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

Finally got round to watching the Matt Lindland documentary, which you can find for free on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR3-lnJCI5k

It's a decent little watch. It mostly covers Lindland's side of the story for why he was released from his UFC contract in 2005.

I used to think it was a bit of a myth that the UFC got rid of Lindland in order to protect Franklin. They theory, for those who don't know it, went that the UFC knew that Lindland was a better fighter than Franklin, yet because the latter was more marketable, they wanted to avoid him fighting the former and losing his title. At the time, I was a bit dismissive of Lindland and his ability, so I didn't fully buy into that theory. 

Today, however, I see things a bit differently. I don't necessarily believe that the only reason Dana fired Lindland was to protect Franklin. As covered in the documentary, there were other reasons why White released Lindland from his UFC contract. Nonetheless, Lindland was on a great run during that the mid-2000s. In that time, he scored stoppage victories over Travis Lutter, Nino Schembri, Jeremy Horn, and Mike Van Arsdale. He also took Rampage Jackson to the limit in July of 2006 - in a fight that many felt he won. Therefore, I think he would have had an excellent chance of beating Franklin and a strong chance of beating Anderson Silva. 

I don't particularly like the guy or anything, but he was a very good fighter for his time, and really should have been UFC Champion at some point. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Tito Ortiz predicts a potential fight between himself and Mike Tyson could do 8.5 million buys 😴

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/05/tito-ortiz-contacted-about-mike-tyson-fight-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-mma-boxing/amp?__twitter_impression=true

...put the bong down Tito.

Actually, this could have gone in the 'dumb things fighters say' thread.

• Paid Members

Based on @David's recommendation, I've just purchased a subscription to The Athletic, as they're apparently doing a half-price sale today. £2.49 a month is pretty damn good.

14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Based on @David's recommendation, I've just purchased a subscription to The Athletic, as they're apparently doing a half-price sale today. £2.49 a month is pretty damn good.

You won't regret it. Even their football coverage is decent. It's as non-tabloid-esque as it gets. Plenty of great, in-depth articles.

• Paid Members

I'm not likely to follow football, really. Gone off it. I've signed up for the boxing and MMA coverage. If they had it, I'd follow the GAA Football coverage, but they don't appear to, which is understandable given how niche it still is.

• Paid Members

It's an odd one - never really got into baseball until I watched it in Japan. But that was primarily because the lady I was lodging with was good friends with the director of the Yomiuri Giants, who got us tickets behind the plate for two matches - was more prawn-sandwich-brigade interest than genuine. 

To be honest, with the exception of Gaelic Football, I think I've gone off team sports.

• Paid Members

You better believe I would too. But it would be some sad shit in 2020. Good thing it’s a load of bollocks.

Just seeing Mike Tyson vs Wanderlei Silva in headlines is surreal though. Imagine that in 2002/03? I know Tyson was past it even then but it would’ve been huge. There were actually talks between Pride and Tyson back in 2006 to do a fight in China but it was probably always just a publicity stunt from both sides. Imagine Tyson vs Cro Cop or something back then though?

I know nobody needs it shot down but Rafael Cordeiro’s said it’s shite;

7A15864F-849F-4ACC-80E4-B17D50F9FB84.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/6/3/21279468/tim-sylvia-ufc-refusing-to-provide-financial-aid-for-arm-injury-suffered-at-ufc-48

Really shitty form here by the UFC, that I can't see having been the case under the previous ownership. For all it would cost the UFC to help the man out, and it would mean the world to Sylvia and be like change out of the UFC's pockets. Here's hoping Rogan or some of the well compensated fighters can give him a bit of a hand here.