Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

Vince McMahon fancies his chances against Frank Shamrock (well he did back in 2009!)

This falls into the "random shit" category, but just been reading an old Observer and Meltzer is talking about Chris Jericho's book and he's up to where Jericho is detailing his angle with Mickey Rourke.  Rather than paraphrase, I'll just copy the text:

So I open and it’s page 120, talking about the angle with Mickey Rourke and WrestleMania, which I actually know better than all but a few people given that Frank Shamrock, who Rourke hired as his bodyguard, wanted me to go to Houston with him for Mania, but my rule of thumb of never attending Mania live (because the Mania issue is the biggest of the year, and yes, I will break the rule in 2015), I said I was too busy. Plus, he had a fight a week later against Nick Diaz and his ribs were jacked, so he didn’t need to go to Houston either. Anyway, Jericho had to explain to Rourke that when he was on Larry King with him, he was just an actor building up a confrontation for Mania. Rourke thought all the insults were a shoot and brought Shamrock and Moti Horenstein (a former UFC fighter who was a member of the Israeli special forces) with him. Anyway, there were no problems and everyone was cool with everyone. Except Horenstein, who was still mean mugging. Before the match, Jericho told Vince about how Rourke hired two bodyguards to kick his ass if he double-crossed Rourke in the ring. Vince started laughing, and said, “Are you kidding me? Those guys?” Vince said, “You me, Finlay and Malenko would’ve beat the shit out of them. I mean, look at that one guy, he’s a midget.” The midget was Shamrock. Jericho smiled at Vince and said, “Well, if anything goes down, I’ll take Rourke and you take the midget.” “Damn right I will,” Vince said as he swaggered away.

Made me laugh as I was reading it, typical sizeist Vinny Mac!

Edited by Magnum Milano
I'm a numpty!

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Just watched these highlights of Robbie Lawler vs Frank Trigg from one of those ICON shows from Hawaii in 2007. I’d only ever seen the knockout and that was just from seeing the gif of it a million times over the years. Just stumbled across this;

Looks like a fight I need to see. Robbie messed him up pretty bad. I read a quote a while back from Trigg saying this fight nearly killed him. But from the clips there he made a good scrap of it, in fairness. I need to dig out that old ICON DVD boxset I got off Amazon marketplace years back, see if the full thing is on there.

Edit - is that Jimmy Smith commentating?

Edit #2 - here’s that Trigg quote. And Christ, it’s grim. 

"[In the middle of the fourth round], I take three straight shots to the head," said Trigg. "When he hit the uppercut at the end, I didn't even feel it. I'm out. I'm already out.

He stripped my vision in my left eye for like eight or nine months after that fight because he hit me with my eye open. I couldn't see anything. I had no peripheral vision.

And the basis of what that fight did -- I've talked to a couple of people, I've talked to Big John, I've had my doctors now look at the medical records and do all that stuff -- that fight nearly killed me.

If I'd gone into the fifth round I probably would have died in the stretcher on the way to the hospital.

That fight changed me for the rest of my career and probably for the rest of my life. It's fights like that, that cause dementia and concussion problems later in life, and give you Parkinson's and things like that, that boxers are getting. It's going through a bunch of fights like that -- that causes it."

Edited by wandshogun09

ICON lived in its own world from the other North American promotions of that era. It rejected many of the rules set in place by athletic commissions in the United States. Most notably, the promotion didn't follow the Unified Rules, which meant it allowed its fighters to knee, kick, and even stomp a downed opponent. It was also one of the few western promotions that used a four-roped ring instead of a cage. It was essentially a Hawaiian version of Pride FC with a depleted roster. 

I only ever saw highlights of specific fights it held, such as Trigg vs Lawler, Trigg vs Mayhem, Baroni vs Kala Hose, etc. I didn't have the time or inclination to follow it properly. I was already following Pride, UFC and Strikeforce at the time. I can't say I took much notice when it was taken over by Elite XC in 2008. 

• Paid Members

I've got the boxset, there's some wild stuff on them as well as the old Superbrawl shows. I've mentioned it here before but there was a such a dangerous, crazy vibe to the events that's lost in today's MMA. The Icon shows were happening after the UFC had really taken off too, but they still felt like old school NHB shows.

• Paid Members

Well I guess now is as good a time as any with no UFC or Bellator on for a bit. I rarely ever get chance to look back at old stuff anymore just because we’re constantly being bombarded with new stuff. By the time you’ve watched one show and digested the post-event fallout and press conferences and all that, before you know it it’s the middle of the week and there’s another show on Saturday. Catching up or reliving old shows has become a thing of the past. It’s why I really enjoyed doing that Top 25 thing. Some of those fights I hadn’t seen in years. I think I’ll be firing up Fight Pass this weekend. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Well I guess now is as good a time as any with no UFC or Bellator on for a bit. I rarely ever get chance to look back at old stuff anymore just because we’re constantly being bombarded with new stuff. By the time you’ve watched one show and digested the post-event fallout and press conferences and all that, before you know it it’s the middle of the week and there’s another show on Saturday. Catching up or reliving old shows has become a thing of the past. It’s why I really enjoyed doing that Top 25 thing. Some of those fights I hadn’t seen in years. I think I’ll be firing up Fight Pass this weekend. 

We are all looking forward to wands to 200 from 2009 yaassss.