General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Palace yet again shoot themselves in the foot by loaning out Joniesta for another season. What has he gotta do to get a run there. Class player. And they obviously must rate him as he's never sold on or up for sale, signed a new contract his summer, but just loan after loan after loan. He's getting no younger.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Its mad how poorly they've done this window, theirs must be the worst business ever done by a reigning champion I can remember.

They were always really good and buying, selling and loaning until about... this year to be honest. 

It's nowhere near as bad as the business done after the last time they won the league. In struggling to remember anyone other than Baba Rahman. 

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Palace yet again shoot themselves in the foot by loaning out Joniesta for another season. What has he gotta do to get a run there. Class player. And they obviously must rate him as he's never sold on or up for sale, signed a new contract his summer, but just loan after loan after loan. He's getting no younger.

I love him, but he's just not going to cut it in the prem. He's too injury prone and not strong enough. One of the most technically adept players I've seen at Palace but it seems like we won't let him go whilst knowing he'll never break into the first team. If there was ever a time to flog him it was this window, given the inflated prices flying about.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Duke said:

In struggling to remember anyone other than Baba Rahman. 

Pedro! Although he was probably the only positive. Djibodi (sp?) was another one. You got the impression that Jose was furious with these two defenders brought in.

• Paid Members
On 30/06/2017 at 8:49 AM, Gus Mears said:

Another depressing episode in the WINDOW OF DOOOOOOOOM! which I am prophesying. 

Haven't been in here since the season kicked off, but none of the business we have done has altered my impression from June.

We've done it. Again. Made the squad worse/kept it the same after winning the league, only this time, we're going to be playing a shed load more games. The decision to loan everyone who would be a useful squad player, then shitting it five mins before the window closes, is mind-bendingly stupid. The only thing worse than failing to sign players like Ross Barkley and Ox is the fact that we were in for them in the first place. 

Hardly the first time either, the board can't just keep leaving everything until the last moment and expecting to pull a Marcus Alonso out of the air like last season. We've spent the entire summer 'preparing bids' or lowballing clubs in a stupid market. Now I would say out squad is worse than last season when you consider the games we'll be playing. 

I predicted Manchester 1 and 2 last year and there really is no excuse for that not to be the case this year with the enormous quantities of money spent, squad depth and managers in their second year. Wherever we finish, think Conte will be gone end of the year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Pedro! Although he was probably the only positive. Djibodi (sp?) was another one. You got the impression that Jose was furious with these two defenders brought in.

Oh of course. But he only became a good signing after jose left if I remember rightly. 

That was also when we signed Matt "the American John Terry" Miazga. 

I'm trying to work out Chelsea's back ups

GK: Big Willy

RWB: Moses (assuming the new guy is an upgrade)

CB: Rudiger

CB: Christensen

CB: ???

LWB: Baba Rahman, or possibly kenedy?

CM: Fabregas

CM: Drinkwater

LAM: Pedro (assuming Willian starts)

RAM: Musonda

ST: Batman

That's a second eleven that could get to the quarters of the league cup. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

And Rooney's been arrested for driving while on the sup.

I just keep seeing suspicion of DUI. Does that mean they haven't proved it yet?

Anyway, if he has, what an absolute duck arse. One of the only times in the last decade that the media have been applauding him based on his start of the season efforts for Everton and he shites it up the wall. 

• Paid Members

He's been arrested but not charged as yet. Very, very foolish carry on out of him if it's true, even if it was just the one shandy at his mates around the corner. He should know by now, in this day and age, the media - and police, to an extent - would take pleasure in battering a baller/celeb of his caliber over something like this.

• Paid Members

I'm not even sure the new guy is an improvement on Moses, @Duke. I haven't seen him before, but if he was an improvement then surely he would've been brought in earlier? Seems he is, like Drinkwater is and what Ox & Barkley would have been, simply a much-needed squad player. But agree with Gus' summary that the squad is weaker overall when you take into account the extra games.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm not even sure the new guy is an improvement on Moses, @Duke. I haven't seen him before, but if he was an improvement then surely he would've been brought in earlier? 

He may, or may not, be. Statistics suggest he's pretty good, but he also played in a Torino backline that I thought was dogshit on the several occasions I watched them last year. Don't agree with that last bit of that sentence though. We do business like a bunch of ninnies, including our good signings on occasions. Luiz and Alonso came in on deadline day last year and are starting XI linchpins. It's more a case of us spending each summer with our pencil on our hands for someone great (K2, Alex Sandro) and then settling at the last moment for someone else who ends up being good via luck/scouting/coaching. 

• Paid Members

@PunkStepOh I'm not sure he is either. He's an actual wing back who's played in a similar system and under Conte though, so I'm assuming he may be. 

The squad definitely will struggle to handle the extra games, particularly if they get through the group stage of the CL. Can't see strong showings on either domestic cup

2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Stumped at the whole Barkley thing. Really am. I can't see him being left to Unsworth either, so where do they play him as Koeman Out will deffo play Sigurdsson, Klaasen and Rooney ahead of him out of spite at this stage...

And Rooney's been arrested for driving while on the sup.

Europa League and cup games he might play. Everton will have lots of games this season in all comps so he will get game time. 

Archived